2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
recout

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Submissions until 21-04-2019 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by recout »

Hey everyone!
This is the very first international contest that I have joined.
I hear that this track's style date back to 90s. I aimed to bring those rhythms to the modern times.
Listen to my work. Hope you enjoy it.

wav:
Mixed Audio

screenshots:
SS1

SS2

SS3

SS4

Best,
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Submissions until 21-04-2019 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mork »

Oi!

You got me, I've been a major DnB head back in the early 2000's. Ram, V, Technical Itch... great stuff! :)

To keep the spirit of the original mix I wanted a crisp high end, but without getting your face eaten off. I wanted to give the song more intent and basically expand in every direction without loosing sight of the artists vision. First and foremost: the Amen break will be heard! :phones:

I mixed this one hybrid. It's summed through my SSL Six and slammed into its GBus comp. It only does about 1db of compression but gives a nice knock and is driving the output stage for much needed top end grime. The break got a special treat and was eq'ed with a hardware SSL E eq (almost lost against ProQ3).
I think the technically most significant aspect of this session is that the GBus comp on the main bus is the only compressor used in this mix (there are some de-essers and limiters). Everything else is EQ (ProQ3) distortion (Kush Omegas), Delays, Reverbs and some automation.

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e1-Iq ... fXfbRtJb_y

Cheers
Mork
TPR

Post by TPR »

Hi,

here is my submission:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qdd1H ... 6DauFTgt93

Used a lot of SSL 4000E channelstrip by brainworx on individual tracks. Just bought this one and i really like this workflow and sound :D

A little bit of paralell drum compression with SSL Native Bus Compressor. Didn't compress the rest of tracks too much. I rather played with saturation.

SPL Iron on main mixbus just touching signal around 2dB to bring some glue in it.

To create some space and atmosphere i used ValhallaRoom and Phoeinx reverb in different variations.
I tried not to overdo it.

Really like this song and had a lot of fun. Good Luck to everyone.
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Hello everybody,
Glad to see you Jorge very good piece of music. really like it. this is a Drum & Bass track so drums and percussion sound is a big deal in this kind of music genre.in my view, you took care of all the music elements very well, so my mix must reflect that in every way! hope you like it.
I started with the drums used an Eq, compression, and saturation.
808: Eq, compression added distortion as well
used reverb and delay like Valhalla Delay, Valhalla plate.

Loudness: -18.1 LUFS, TP Max -2.7 dBTP (By NUGEN), any comments or feedback are most welcome.

My submission.

MC064_7th_Pyramid_Octalism_Wizzo.wav
MC064_7th_Pyramid_Octalism_Wizzo.mp3

Cheers!
Pemberley

Post by Pemberley »

Hi all,

Here's my entry for this month's contest:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HX_54 ... pHl3OIML-1

Great track, definitely a challenge as a new genre to me. I think the most significant thing I did was crushing the drum bus in parallel using an RSP Saturator, which I'm liking more every time I use it. Gave the percussion some dark dirt to contrast the brighter, more delicate instruments. I used a few reverbs and delays here and there to create some space, but wanted to keep the 808 kick pretty dry and clean.

All feedback welcome! Thanks.
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Hello everybody !

Specs:
Tracks set to 0 VU. Izotope Neutrino and NLS Channel (Neve) on every instrument bus.

DRUMS:
Variety Of Sound Thrillseeker VBL on bus
Kick: Pultech EQ
Snare: Decapitator for distortion
Break loop: Acon Digital Verberate with dry/wet automation as sine form
break break: Soundtoys Crystalizer
Bell: Surround Pan by Sonic Anomaly / Send to BalanceSP Teufelsberg Reverb

BASS
PuigTec Eq
GEM EQ550
Scheps 73
GMonoBass (under 150Hz)

PERCUSSION
Tambo tracks with Soundtoys Devil-Loc Deluxe for lo-fi feel
Metalchimes with Waves Brauer Motion

KEYS
Apollo pad: Klevgrand Reamp for drive / ReaEQ with hi-pass
Factory pad: Soundtoys Radiator for drive /u-he Protoverb for ambience / ReaEQ with hi-pass
Piano: Waves TG12345 console / ReaEQ with hi-pass

FX
Modular FXs: Soundtoys Crystalizer

Lot of volume automation ;)

Master Bus:
NLS Bus (Neve) analog summing, Density MkII compressor (glueing), Toneboosters ReelBus tape sim, Toneboosters Sibilance, Charly Limited analog gain, Barricade Limiter (just for sure), Youlean loudness Meter

WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wD0DG ... BU3RVeqJmN

WAV 24bit/44.KHz round 3 dB headroom / loudness -18 LUFS

Good succes everybody !
DennisBastioni

Post by DennisBastioni »

Hi everyone, thank you again for this new challenge. This time i had the chance to mix my favourite's genre song and here is the description of the process i apply:

Drum Group: Elysia alpha master, maag eq4

Kick: api550a
PreSnare: Eq
Snare: spl trans. designer, pro q2, transture
HandDrums: neve eq
HH: Eq
MetalChimes: ep, comp, pultec
RevKick: TwinTube, Spl passEq
TambLow: eq, comp
808: nls, Kramer Tape, maag eq4
ApolloPad: Eq
Bong: alpha mix
Breack: api550b, eq
Factory pad: spl passEq, pro-c
LiquidDrops: Comp
ModularFX's: saturn
Piano: spl transient shaper, eq

All the instruments i haven't write above it's because they are non processed or close, for some of them there is just "ambience", generated with parallel processing trough delay, micro delay and reverbs.

But some other parallel processing is maded to put instruments in their own space, and i also use an external lexicon300 reverb just for the bongo, apollo pad, piano and chimes. The other parallel process are:

ValhallaRoom: DrumGroup and ApolloPad
ValhallaVintageVerb: FactoryPad, bell, HH, crash1 and crash2, Ambience1 , liquid drops and ModularFx's
EchoBoy: Breack
EchoBoy: tamb low and tamb hi

Nothing on the master bus.

Here is the link to download my mix:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ph10_ ... rTLM-W4rT-

Hope you like it and good luck to all the participants!
Thank you again.

DennsiBastioni
Snarowitz

Post by Snarowitz »

Here is my submission for MC064. DAW ProTools 12.x. Bounced @ 44kHz, 24bit.

The thing I learned most from the reference tracks, was balance and subtlety in the presence range. Not in your face, yet dynamic and impactful. Non offensive even at LOUD volumes, despite featuring the bass so prominently. I tried to recreate that general feel with Octalism.

Great piece of music Jorgeelalto!

SNarowitz

Track(s) not listed are unaltered.

Software

Kick
CLA-2A
D3
RBass
ProQ2
Rev Kick
CLA-3A
D3
RBass
OzoneImager
Pre Snare
CLA-76 Black
Crystalizer
Radiator
ProQ2 M/S
Crystalizer
Snare
CLA-76 Blue
Radiator
ProQ2
Snare Mix
ProQ2 M/S
API-2500
Break
API-2500
ProQ2
D3
Break Break
API-2500
D3
ProQ2
Radiator
Hand Drums
API-2500
D3
Crystalizer
ProQ2
HH
CLA-2A
ProQ2
Crystalizer
Tape Echo
Crash
CLA-2A
ProQ2
Crash 1
CLA-2A
Crash 2
CLA-2A
ProQ2
Tape Echo
RvCrash 1
ProQ2 M/S
Tape Echo
RvCrash 2
Crystalizer
Cymbal Mix
D3
Tamb Hi
ProQ2
Tape Echo
CLA2A
Tamb Low
ProQ2
Tape Echo
Metal Chains
ProQ2
Tape Echo
CLA2A
Noise Chant
ProQ2
CLA2A
Tape Echo
Misc Perc
API-2500
Crystalizer
Liquidrops
ProQ2
Crystalizer
Perc Bus
API-2500
ProQ2 M/S
ProQ2
Radiator
Bass Analog
RBass
ProQ2
Decapitator
EchoBoy
Doubler
Bong
Crystalizer
ProQ2
Modular FX
ProQ2
Piano - Crystalizer
Factory Pad
ProQ2
Tape Echo
Crystalizer
Ambiance 1
ProQ2 M/S
Ambiance 4
ProQ2
Apollo Pad
ProQ2
Radiator
Tape Echo
Crystalizer

Reverb 1
Seventh Heaven
Micro Shift
Reverb 2
Little Plate
ProQ2

Reverbs are on an AUX Send to Parallel Buss.

Hardware

Sum groups out of DAW to Radial Space Heater for warmth.

Percussion - 1/2
Main - 3/4
Ambiance - 5/6
Reverb - 7/8

Inserts per stereo group. Very little actual compression, mostly just for additional warmth.

1/2 - Volfram Limiter (1176 Rev F)
3/4 - ELOP
5/6 - DBC 20
7/8 - None

Sum return to DAW through SSL bus comp.

WAV. - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NS88Hq ... sp=sharing
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi all,

Very interesting title to mix. It allows a large use of different effects to be used in a defined sound frame.

I moved a little away from the original (very good) mix to create a rather electro-acoustic atmosphere.

Indeed, the construction of the mix focuses on 4 elements: the "percussion + bass" part, the "natural atmosphere” part
with water and birds, the "instrumental parts" and finally the "elements which connect" everything (noise chant-misc percu-liquid drops).
And to find a sound balance that captures attention from start to finish. It also seems to me very important to use ALL the tracks
proposed. If they exist, there is a reason. So don't betray the composer's mind.

On the technical side, nothing special apart from the traditional armada of plugins except the use of 3D sound software
which allows you to create a very wide sound field both in width and in depth.
The most important sound modifications were made on the "noise chant", “misc percu track”, completely transformed
into another sound through processing like the vocoder, the harmonizer and others, which make them almost unrecognizable
compared to the original sound. Also used the track "liquid drops" which has been "lightened".
These 3 modified elements are very important throughout the song and especially from 2'37 to the end of the title
where it brings "life" to the play sustained rhythm but always identical.

And of course a shunt at the end to finish in style.

We listen to this here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5j23pwmvbcwp ... v.wav?dl=0

Cheers

Franz
Piranha

Post by Piranha »

I aproached the mix with an analog fashion, with tape and an analog modelling channel strip on every channel. I tried to enhance the depth of kick and snare, tame bass dynamics and to place every instrument in his place with the usual tools.

WAV:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/htmtdncy7f00r ... a.wav?dl=0
MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkck4s6zatwjg ... a.mp3?dl=0