2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Lewshwa Music

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Submissions until 21-04-2019 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Lewshwa Music »

.WAV
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8cl29bowfk54 ... 4.wav?dl=0

MIX NOTES:

As the sounds were clean samples, I did very little corrective eq and little to nothing to each sound, save a fair bit of transient design. I did use a ton of automated EQ and automated FX to create the motion and ear candy the style asks for.

I used EQ and SMACK ATTACK on a lot of the samples and looops to bring out a certain tastiness and texture, and in some cases (HH) to tone the sucker down!

I'm using several Busses, including two different PUMP busses. Most of the synths are running through these and are pumping off the KICK with HCOMP
I'm also using CRUNCH and PARALLEL COMPRESSION busses.

Tracks are grouped by type, and bussed and then sent in varying degrees to the FX, CRUNCH, NY, PUMPS and BAND busses. These are all parallel and feed the 2BUS.

I have MAAG EQ 4 on the 2bus and its being lightly glued together by Elysia Alpha Comp.

I'm using VERBSUITE and ABBEY ROAD CHAMBERS for VERB and AMBIENCE, respectively.

Hope you enjoy. I loved working on it.

Lewshwa Music
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd April 2020, 00:15 UTC+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

Once more, a very warm welcome to all new participants. A huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Please help get the Songwriting Competition as popular (6 submission as of the moment of this time-stamp, and 3 days left).

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 45 submissions this month (that is half as many as last month's 101 entries!)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition 32 (SWC32) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th April 2020, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST.

Please spread the word!
Jorgeelalto

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hey guys and gals!

Thanks a lot for participating, and another lot for the kind words! It means a lot to me :)

I'm now working on the results, but bare with me, because I will need some time. Right now I have plenty of things to do and there are a lot of submissions here but I promise I'm getting the results.
Martin Menzel

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Submissions until 21-04-2019 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Martin Menzel »

Green-Dog wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 15:16 CEST
Hi everyone,

I'm not big expert in this gender that why it was very interesting experience. I had to violate the order of workflow a bit so as not to make a pre master. In a normal situation, I would mix with hard working comp and cliper on the master.

Here is my mix. Hope you will like it.

Mix
ScreenShots

Good luck to all!

Regards
Andrejs
definitely one of my favorites around here. Congratulations, nice clear and consistent audio.
I invite you to listen to my work #31 at the beginning of page 4
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... t=30#p7545
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

Martin Menzel wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 20:42 CEST
definitely one of my favorites around here. Congratulations, nice clear and consistent audio.
I invite you to listen to my work #31 at the beginning of page 4
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... t=30#p7545
Hi Martin Menzel
thank you. I like saturation on bass in your mix. the only thing may be the track is a bit oversaturated overall.
InCapitals

Post by InCapitals »

Indeed, Green-dog, your mix is well done.
The only thing i can find is the overall loudness is a little high, but it's my feeling.
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

InCapitals wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 14:48 CEST
Indeed, Green-dog, your mix is well done.
The only thing i can find is the overall loudness is a little high, but it's my feeling.
thank you! I guess level are not a big problem. in real situation if mastering ingenieur needed more headroom I can put down output level on me master compressor. If I mixed this track for real I have do it with a limiter on the master bus, becouse wenn I mix treck like this I want to hear result close to the final. In music based on drums it's very important , because limiting greatly affects the sound. We all have thay own style of mixing - this is my :)
Optoslam

Post by Optoslam »

Talking about submission loudness we have rules for that :wink:
(as of MC064) the final mix must not undershoot -23LUFS ILk, neither exceed -16LUFS ILk (ITU-R BS.1770-x), while the maximum digital signal strength must not exceed -1dBTP (True Peak) - NO (Pre)MASTERING
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I think this is the subtle (yet long overdue) cue for me to address a big elephant in the room. I think this is also somewhat the reason why Jorgeelalto didn't post yet. I think he waited on my commentary on the situation.

:arrow: "The" big elephant is once more the Rules and Guidelines for participants of the Mix Challenge.

We have yet another month, where people seem to plain downright ignore their existence. The rule book is mentioned in the first two posts at least several times. In case of MC064/April 2020, it was twice in the first post because of the rule adjustments for clarification reasons. And as with every game since MC031/April 2017, it is also mentioned twice after the "Words of the Song Provider" and "Words by the Staff". In fact, in both posts there are summaries (highlighted in red even) - while the in-depth explanation is on it's dedicated place. Always pinned, always referenced, easy to access through the dropdown menu on the landing page. In fact, I've even spread awareness about the changes in the April 2020 Newsletters (#069 and #070), and now also Newsletter #071/May, that everyone should please get a refresher.

My focus of the Mix(ing) Challenge was always "having fun, while learning something new in the process", and I still stand by this today. I've been very compassionate in recent years. I've given a lot free cards (and were even barked at through PM for not doing that enough!), which in some cases (and in retrospect) was a bit unfair towards all other long-term participants. If I continue to ignore established, and in my opinion more than easy to understand / fair ground rules, there is no learning factor. And it will turn harder and harder with future games to introduce new or different twists. Like tools you've never used before. Or you're forced to do something you might not be as experienced in (yet) you might usually try to evade (like track time alignment). Things that might be a big topic in the future (like DDEX documentation, or creating a mix for headphone surround).

Which is why I've made clear in February 2019 already (MC051), that I will be more strict with enforcing the Rules and Guidelines. The "Mix(ing) Challenge" is not a small "thing" anymore. We've exceeded 50 participants on average in the year 2019 - and we've exceeded 100 participants for the first time in March 2020. I can't give out participation medals - this won't be fair to everyone involved.

:arrow: Which sadly brings me to today's post.

Mix Challenge 064/April 2020 had 45 participants.
Yet we have about 19 disqualifications due to rule violation.

Some of them even simple careless mistakes from long-term participants.

A summary of the common issues / violations:
  • mixes not downloadable because of a needed "Decryption Key" (Clueless), or download folder set to private (doobop, TomFernsby), and I was almost not able to download Optoslam's entry either (possible server glitch, I've tried 7 times!)
  • resubmitted entries (due to an upload mistake, example: BeSpokeAudio uploaded a surround mix first, then an updated stereo mix -- also: the filename was different to the forum username) and dual entries (cutlet90 submitted two revisions "to choose from")
  • massively edited posts (Cchapmix edited his post 13 times)
  • mixes submitted in different sampling rates and bitrates than the source material was provided in (cdj1000, ChrisKamery, cutlet90, DennisBastioni, Dwic, JonasLasse)
  • mixes that exceed either -16LUFS ILk average signal strength and/or -1dBTP maximum signal strength (some tracks were straight up mastered)
And that's not counting the lack of documentation for a lot of participants. Or those that did post screenshots, however only from the arranger and not the Mix Console with the used inserts.

:idea: Here are the statistics in PDF form:
MC064 Statistics (PDF, 13kb - files measured with Steinberg Wavelab 10)

As a result of this, I will be putting even more time and effort into creating tutorials for Song Providers especially. Most notably, how to check if all submitted entries are within given specifications / limits (sampling rate, bitrate, LUFS ILk, maximum signal strength dBTP). This will (hopefully) be addressed by mid May 2020, probably in the Production Techniques forum as possible follow-up to the How to: Loudness Normalization post.

The "client" (Jorgeelalto) and I had some longer conversations about this topic. We've decided on certain "tolerances" for overshots, which will be +-0,3LU for all mixes that exceed -16LUFS (that is +0,2LU higher than the allowed specification tolerance of +-0,1LU!). And due to the nature of dBTP meters having a completely different response depending on the implementation (the allowed specification tolerance is actually +-0,2dBTP), we've decided on a tolerance of +-0,05dBTP if signals exceeded -1dBTP (which shouldn't have been reached in the first place). We've also decided on not to disqualify any entry dropping below -23LUFS ILk (from which we have two).

:!: Everything else established in the known Rules and Guidelines, remains untouched.

With that said - and to reiterate - the Rules and Guidelines are not a "Pirate's Code" (Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl, 2003) or a "Matrix sparring program" (The Matrix, 1999). These rules are not just "loose guidelines", or "rules that can be bent, others that can be broken". They do exist for a reason - to provide a fair and objective baseline for everyone.

And as it is posted in every introduction post: Failing to adhere to the rules will result in instant disqualification

There will be no more leeway for MC065 and all following games.

Any follow-up discussion about this will be moved to Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion - however I will not get into any further argument about the established rules. Please accept that I just don't have the time and patience for this anymore.

Thank you for your time.

I will now leave the stage for Jorgeelalto to post his feedback and announce all Mix Round 2 participants.
Clueless

Post by Clueless »

NvM