2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
hjchjc

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by hjchjc »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 21:01 CEST

Hjchjc: that hiss and that distorting fx is (in my opinion) too much, your mix is very different in comparison to the original (your hihat is not a hihat anymore). I can hear a pump fx when the kick kicks in at the begining, is there a compressor/limiter on the stereo output? proper gain staging is the key, and be creative when its needed!

thanks for the feedback! Not sure what you mean by "that hiss" or "that distorting effect" though - are you talking about the processing on the mix bus?
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

hjchjc wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 19:11 CEST
Mellow Browne wrote:

Hjchjc: that hiss and that distorting fx is (in my opinion) too much, your mix is very different in comparison to the original (your hihat is not a hihat anymore). I can hear a pump fx when the kick kicks in at the begining, is there a compressor/limiter on the stereo output? proper gain staging is the key, and be creative when its needed!

thanks for the feedback! Not sure what you mean by "that hiss" or "that distorting effect" though - are you talking about the processing on the mix bus?
Excuse me, I was not precise enough. I mean the factory pads, yours are very gritty and edgy. They sound pretty much distorted to me :hihi:

I mean from the very beginning I can hear a very loud high pitched hiss or hum noise but it gets less after the first break and disappears after the 2nd break (but comes back again later, so it must be on an individual track). Did you use any "analogue" plugin? Because some tend to introduce this type of noise (Im looking at you tape saturation :smack:)

Take an EQ and sweep through the upper frequencies (solo band function), it will become noticeable (mostly from 6-8 kHz).

Yeah, and I think your compressor/limiter on the stereo output has a lot of work to do, especially when the kick comes in, the whole mix ducks away for that very short period of time between each kick hit. :hmmm:
Martin Menzel

Post by Martin Menzel »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Martin menzel: has a lot of power (compression or limiting/premastering?), personally I don’t like the „octaver fx“ on the subs ( I think you tried to extend the lows ). Some interesting filter and delay fx after the 2nd break, but in my opinion it alters the original. the mix is balanced and has a lot of drive. Good work
Hi Mellow Browne, thank you very much for your comments and good ear

Yes, on the mix bus I use the UA SSL G bus compressor; I like to kiss, just until I get the desired dynamic range, Dynameter helps me see it on average. Sorry if it was not allowed or desired here.
I have added filter and delay automation with the intention of creating variations to grab attention towards the end; I understand that the original changes a bit, but personally, it became a little monotonous

it's my first time around here and i really enjoyed participating in this mix

all the best
msom

Post by msom »

Thanks Mellow for good word. There are things to be better. Hope that it's just the case of mastering the material. Hope to get myself a good space for mixing soon because now I work on headphones only :shock: and check how mix translates to ordinary sets, but in few months i'll have a pro environment eventually.
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hey!

I'm back with the feedback for round 2. Thanks a lot for the patience, you know the drill these times (finishing the semester at uni...).

First of all, congratulations to all participants who submitted a mix for round 2! I liked listening to all of them very much, it's very interesting to hear all different mixing styles. I wrote the feedback, as last time, in a PDF, divided in the three main sections of the track. It's here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1foTyd8 ... sp=sharing

Unfortunately, we have the user canese who didn't submitted anything this round, and the user Martin Menzel who overshoot both in loudness and in true peak (disqualification :sad: ).

The winners podium is:

1. linden6790: Congrats! Best overall mix, punchy and very balanced.
2. Wizzo: A bit of a unique mix, but really cool nonetheless. Has it's own character.
3. TPR: Very competent mix, congratulations too :)

It was a close one! The differences between each mix were mostly subtle, and deciding the podium was, as always, interesting to say the least. If I had to say what the perfect mix would be, it would be a combination of elements from all your submissions :smile: .

Thanks again for participating, I will be around if you have any question or regard.

Cheers,
Jorge
msom

Post by msom »

Thanks Jorgeelalto. It was quite an adventure with the challenge. Great opportunity to work on the material. Thanks for good words. Gratulations to winners.

Anyway, can you please refer to the notes no my mix ? - "You have some loud high pitched noises playing (see 3:08) around 15kHz which, TBH, destroys the mix :(." I'm not sure if I understood properly. What does the TBH mean exactly ?

Cheers msom.
pabloAT

Post by pabloAT »

Congratulations to the winners, and many thanks Jorge for reviewing my mix. I took note of your suggestions and recommendations, your feedback is really useful.
All the best for your career as a musician,
Best wishes,
Pablo
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Hey msom,

TBH = To be honest :)

Just wanted to say that, whatever is creating those noises, well, it's making the mix pretty much unaudible at certain points. It happens momentarily but it's loud and I don't really know what could be causing it. I took a screenshot a bit after the 3:08 point:

https://imgur.com/a/GtTC2i2

I redownloaded your mix to double check but it keeps happening, so it's a problem on your end. What could it be?
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Hello everyone, Jorge,

Thank you, Jorge, it's my pleasure to mix your music. I hope to see you soon with a new song! good luck with the semester btw.
congratulations to linden6790 , TPR, I'll pick the plugin later !!

Stay safe everyone!

Cheers!
msom

Post by msom »

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 13:19 CEST
Hey msom,

TBH = To be honest :)

Just wanted to say that, whatever is creating those noises, well, it's making the mix pretty much unaudible at certain points. It happens momentarily but it's loud and I don't really know what could be causing it. I took a screenshot a bit after the 3:08 point:

https://imgur.com/a/GtTC2i2

I redownloaded your mix to double check but it keeps happening, so it's a problem on your end. What could it be?
:shock: Well, have to check it :bang: Really strange thing, maybe rendering by Ableton ? Thanks anyway