2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
msom

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 10-APR-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by msom »

Hi All,

Glad to be in Round 2. Tried to refer to Jorgeelalto notes and that's what I came up with:

MSOM Octalism Round 2

Few words on mix in round 2:

1. There was too much lows related to bass. I lowered the 808 volume and saturated over 115Hz with FAB F Saturn (Warm Tube). Just checked in my car and sounds much better :) 808 chain
2. Moved attack of the compressor on Snare forward to preserve more attack.
3. Turned up Hand Drums a bit gave them some space.
4. Gave the Break track more punch and saturated with PSP MixTreble a bit. Cut unnecessary freqs and also added some harmonic elements in relation to whole mix. It seems to be more in front now. Break Chain
5. Eq'ed Bong a little bit to make it more present in the mix. Added some space.
6. More Compression on Liquid Drops with PSP oldTimer and space with PSP Echo. Just to emphasize quieter parts. Noise in this part makes mix richer.
7. The Bell: Treated with PSP MixTreble a bit and PSP 2445 (brighter settings).
8. Apollo Pad: Cut lows below c.a. 150 Hz and gave some more vol around 1kHz. Also some compression with saturation being done additionally for harmonic enrichment.

Good luck everyone....

Cheers,
Msom
TPR

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 10-APR-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by TPR »

Here's my submission for R2:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15ND3V ... KLf6tYPQ1l

I'd like to thank Jorgeelalto for such a great feedback and really helpful tips. Great Job!

Following the instructions I reduced level of reverb on some od ambience tracks. In the first version I often overdo it.

Added some more harmonics to bass with Soundtoys Decapitator. Increased level of drum bus and pararell drum bus as well.

Good luck to everyone!
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 23:26 CEST
Copy from PDF file :
Drums : Not bad, I miss some more snare getting through and punching you in the face, but it sounds pretty cool. I would have preserved some of the dynamics, I don't know if it's just the drum bus or there is a compressor on the whole mix

Bass : The bass is perfect, although the bridge bass is a bit overdone for my taste (too loud). It was supposed to be more of a support for the pad, with not a lot of presence, and here it's pretty audible.

Atmos : The same problem as many other submissions here, which is that these atmos elements should be more of a background thing, and give presence to the drums and bass most importantly. I'm talking about the detail level, because you got this atmos bus almost perfectly right too! But I feel like a few dBs less on these melodic and ambiences elements to avoid eclipsing of the main drum hits (kick, snare, breaks) is needed.
Hello everyone, Jorgeelalto

It seems I have a serious level issue.so I've decided to reconstructed all levels relations .so I did 3 main things :

◉ Reconstructed all drums levels, and give the priority to snare and kick.
*Gives more dynamic to the snare (compression coming from the snare track itself) the drums bus (SSL) it's just to keep everything under control, 1 or 2 dB max in a whole drums bus.

◉ Reconsider the Bass level in general and especially in the bridge part. relation now between drums and bass more balance.

◉ All background elements (Atmos) are less present than before.
*Reconstructed all automation and reconsider the whole relation between all elements.
*Rebalance Low, Mid, High frequencies, now more balance and more open.

Integrated Loudness (LUFS - BS.1770) -17.92 (ITU)
Max. TPL (True Peak Level - BS.1770) Left -2.70 Right-2.68 Joint -2.68 (ITU)

My submission.

:arrow: MC064_7th_Pyramid_Octalism_Wizzo_R2.wav

Cheers!
linden6790

Post by linden6790 »

Hi All,

I'm very glad to be in round 2, thank you.

Changes I made in my mix:

1. I've mainly focused on bass as previously it was hidden a bit. I've added another compressor to the chain - CLA-76 - to tighten the bass up, I also added more saturation and color with saussage fattener.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkftzgs90mrd2 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

2. To give the bass more space I've highpassed everything except drums and bass to about 200Hz.
3. I've boosted drums by adding 1,5db at 15kHz (metal chimes and breaks) and 1db around 1kHz (snare/clap) to be not eaten by the bass.
4. Also gave slightly more attack to the drums in compression so the bass don't have all the energy in the mix.
5. I turn down reverb on drums a bit and removed side boosting in EQ on pads and removed pan automatization on break so the stereo image would be more mono-ish than previously.
6. Also boosted 3kHz with 1db on kick.

Round 2 mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnu4b4uu5g0wy ... 2.wav?dl=0

Cheers,
linden6790
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC064 April 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 11th May 2020, 16:45am - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (canese)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
Dwic

Post by Dwic »

It would be much appreciated if I could get a critique of my submission.

It was disqualified for being the wrong bit depth, my apologies to Mr. Fox for not paying closer attention to the rules.

Thanks
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Hey guys,

Just dropping a few words and giving some feedback of what I heard:

lindned6790: your mix sounds very promising, it has the right amount of drive but I have the impression there are 2 layers, the drums, and then there is the rest. Im missing the „glue“. Try to readjust your drum compression (longer attack and shorter release time) and lower the volume of the percussion elements (2-3db), maybe it will lose some of that „bite“ but it won’t stick out that much. The rest should blend in much better. Good work.

Wizzo: proper gain staging, at the beginning the clap is very prominent, but when the 808 comes in it has no impact, atmos and piano are really loud (I would lower both by at least 6db). Overall it is not balanced, too much 808. Your mix has drive, but in my opinion on the wrong „spots“, if you know what I mean?!

Tpr: nice drums, pads are way too low in volume, it is noticeable after the first break when the 808 kicks in, im missing an element. after the 2nd break the 808 is too prominent and maybe a little too distorted. Very promising mix you made with a nice drive and impact. If you would raise the pads (maybe 6-9 db) and fix the subs your mix would translate much better to other sound systems. Good work.

Msom: nice balance, pianos are bit too low in volume, like the 808 (maybe 3db). Your mix has a nice drive and impact. great work.

Pabloat: nice fx on the clap at the beginning, interesting fx (but I think it changes too much the intention of the producer), your lows and subs are not so good balanced, especially after the 2nd break. Proper gain staging (piano is the loudest element in your mix). After the 2nd break your 808 is the loudest element in your mix. Try to stick to the original mix as close as possible, be creative when it’s needed.

Martin menzel: has a lot of power (compression or limiting/premastering?), personally I don’t like the „octaver fx“ on the subs ( I think you tried to extend the lows ). Some interesting filter and delay fx after the 2nd break, but in my opinion it alters the original. the mix is balanced and has a lot of drive. Good work

Hjchjc: that hiss and that distorting fx is (in my opinion) too much, your mix is very different in comparison to the original (your hihat is not a hihat anymore). I can hear a pump fx when the kick kicks in at the begining, is there a compressor/limiter on the stereo output? proper gain staging is the key, and be creative when its needed!

Delicate: you should rework on your balance, proper gain staging is the key. The pads are way too loud, 808 is somewhere in the background, kick has „some“ punch, sometimes. Lower the pads and fix your sub and Im sure your mix will translate much better to other sound systems.

This is just my opinion, don’t take it „too“ serious. :pray:
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 21:01 CEST
Wizzo: proper gain staging, at the beginning the clap is very prominent, but when the 808 comes in it has no impact, atmos and piano are really loud (I would lower both by at least 6db). Overall it is not balanced, too much 808. Your mix has drive, but in my opinion on the wrong „spots“, if you know what I mean?!
Hi Mellow Browne, everyone,
Thank you for listening and taking the time to feedback and review! rally appreciated. I'd like to make more discussions about our mix.
So, you know in the learning journey you found yourself inclined to do some things and avoid another! I'm not like a narrow mix until the client said.
The piano here in my view is not loud it's bigger, sure maybe -1 lower or 2 but not 6 !! or I could narrower a stereo field a little!
another thing it's hasn't talked too much it's just a spot here and there so if you here let's hear it. :smile:
I listened to your mix and I have very quick notes!
Very good (Dry) mix, you are used reverb very wisely, narrow stereo filed, the snare a little back,808 is a little bit muddy.
a little too much air (10k) and above, good mix overall, very nice tone and nice control low-end as well .this is my honest opinion! and what I hear in my system :smile: Thanks again and always have fun.

Cheers!
pabloAT

Post by pabloAT »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 21:01 CEST
Pabloat: nice fx on the clap at the beginning, interesting fx (but I think it changes too much the intention of the producer), your lows and subs are not so good balanced, especially after the 2nd break. Proper gain staging (piano is the loudest element in your mix). After the 2nd break your 808 is the loudest element in your mix. Try to stick to the original mix as close as possible, be creative when it’s needed.
Many thanks Mellow Browne for this interesting analysis and the time you took to do it. It's really appreciated.

Best wishes,
Pablo
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

Dwic wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 18:06 CEST
It would be much appreciated if I could get a critique of my submission.

It was disqualified for being the wrong bit depth, my apologies to Mr. Fox for not paying closer attention to the rules.

Thanks
Got you, gonna put you on the TODO feedback list :)

BTW I'm already working on Round 2.