2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC065 May 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC065 May 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 01-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the last 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2
Olli H

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC065 May 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 01-JUN-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Olli H »

Hi Cameron,

Here’s my R2 submission

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tstkfK ... sp=sharing

(Integrated loudness = -16.62 LUFS)

As a substitute for a direct discussion, I listened and read your comments to those who managed to get to the round 2. Very good points there.

For my R2-submission I think I touched every track: less bass, stronger drums, double guitars, more stereo piano and more automations. And I eqed everything more to the direction of the provided reference track ”Rosanna”.
Armenelli

Post by Armenelli »

Hello!

Here's my round 2: Armenelli R2

I admittedly struggled this round. I found that taking compression away from the vocals changed the way the sounded in a major way and I had a difficult time keeping compression off of them and getting the sound I was after. In the end, there's an RVox doing half the compression it was, an LA2A at the pair level, doing 1-2db max, an F6 dynamic eq on just the lead to get rid of some peaks and dynamically add in some high end, and a parrallel bus compression at the buss stage. Overall reduction is less around 6dB, which is where the RVox was by itself last round.

The other major thing (sound wise) was I adjusted the fade out so things came to a tighter conclusion. I clipped the drum tracks to end with the bass, added a reverb to to extend the last cymbal hit to make up for cutting it short, and moved the little piano end line (which I really liked) to line up with the end of the bass. I hope you like it!

Other than that, I reduced the tambourine, reduced the Rhodes, upped the snare a little, tweaked the highs overall to try to get rid of some harshness, and adjusted the bass levels a smidge.

Thanks to Mr. Fox and Cameron Crowson for the opportunity and for a great competition!
Luca

Post by Luca »

Hi,

This is my mix for round two -> Link

Luca
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC065 May 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 02nd June 2020, 06:15 (UTC+2/CEST) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (Adriel Santos)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.

Songwriting Competition 034 is in full swing - please spread the word!
https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
Cameron

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC065 May 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Cameron »

I want to thank all of the participants. I have learned quite a lot throughout this process. It was very hard to narrow it down but these are my final three choices. Congratulations to the winners! I was really hoping to see more conversation between participants about mixing techniques but it was mostly banter about fixing the timing issues. Several of those people didn't even try mixing it. I am grateful to you and to Mister Fox that I was able to be involved in something like this. I know it will improve my engineering, songwriting, producing, and critical listening skills.

1st: drumwizard
2nd: Alexvanmixland
3rd: Mellowbrowne

sincerely,
Cameron Crowson

P.S. If you would like to talk about your mix, Please feel free to send a personal message.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC065 May 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) @Drumwizard
2) @Alex Van mixland
3) @Mellow Browne

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

Please don't forget the Songwriting Competition - which needs as much love as the Mix(ing) Challenge. See you on the flipside.
Drumwizard

Post by Drumwizard »

Thanks a lot Cameron! I like your song and all that 70s and early 80s type of music.
80% of (success) work on this song was right vocal tunning. Than my mixing strategy looked like this: 1.Vocal/Bass/Piano, 2. Guitars, 3.Drums. This order works well for me in last time.

My choice is Metric Halo Character.

Thanks Mister Fox, Mix-Challenge is great and useful for improving our skills.
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Thank you Cameron. I'm very happy that you liked my mix.

In comparison my mix to Drumwizard and Mellow Browne mixes, my mix is more bright, but when i mixed this track first time, my mix sounded as dark as another winner mixes. Next day when i check my mix i found that, it's dark in comparison to original mix and i added more highs and cut lows. I like dark and brigher one also, because in generel balance of all 3 mixes are very close.
I like how Drumwizerd tuned vocal - Great job!

Congratulations Drumwizard and Mellow Browne!
I'll pick: Metric Halo Channelstrip

Cheers!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Metric Halo has already been picked. Licenses from that company can not be selected anymore.

Apologies for the inconvenience