2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Tapwater

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Tapwater »

Hello, thanks for choosing my mix. I will choose Hornet tape or ultraspace as my second choice.

To answer mixland's question: I usually use genelec 8040s but I just moved and this was my first attempt at mixing entirely with headphones. I used a combination of Sony MDR7506 and AKGK601. Two very very different sounding headphones. Then checked it in the car at the end.

To respond to Franz: It is the reality I've come to find working with clients. Even if they say they want something entirely different. They usually just want it to sound like they're mix just better. That being said for this contest I think I only listened to the original mix once in the beginning and then once at the end. Mostly for overall sonics rather than details.
DigitalSoundLabs

Post by DigitalSoundLabs »

Franz wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 CEST
Thank you Samuel for your comment proposal for those of the second round who would ask you by PM,
but I will not do it because I had sent you a question by PM to ask you for an explanation for my future R2
and you don't never answered.
Hi Franz,

yes, I just saw it 2,3 days before I had to make decision, means far after you would have needed this answer. I am so sorry about it. It was not my intention to leave any question unanswered. And I have also to admit, that my hint to you was maybe not really helpful. I tried to poll my email and this forum for questions, but this PM I didn't see. Also it seems, that I was not noticed via email because of this PM. I understand that you are annoyed but I cannot change it anymore, just excuse myself. Sorry.

BR
Samuel
DigitalSoundLabs

Post by DigitalSoundLabs »

Franz wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 CEST
Nevertheless, there is one thing quite striking: while listening to the mix of Waleed Morris,
I realize that it is very very close to the original mix of Samuel whereas mine is nevertheless
a little far from it.
This to say what ?
Looking back, very often the winning mixes are almost very close copies of the original songprovider mixes.
Suddenly, personal expression is still very limited. And if it is to copy the original as closely as possible,
it is no longer a mixing competition but a copying competition.
And also some words to this:

No, it's no copying competition. For me the criteria was - does it sound, like it would be ready for radio or spotify, does it sound "professional"? Of course without the mastering step. And your song wasn't not in the top 3, because it was more far away from my original mix, than the winners, but because your mix was more far away from my understanding, how a "professional" mix should sound. That's it.

BTW I would have loved to announce ConcreteMixers mix as winner, and it was really the most far away from my version. Unfortunately the mix (tooo much bass energy) wasn't sufficient.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi Samuel,

I fully respect your choices, your tastes and your decisions. Indeed a pity for the non return of the PM message.

Finally, even if I had had an additional comment from you, it is not obvious that this would have drastically changed my R2 mix.
Like you, strong in your convictions, I would most likely have stayed with mine.

It's all a matter of taste and in France (maybe also in other countries) there is a saying that says: tastes and colors cannot be discussed ...

Good continuation in your music !

Cheers

Franz
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Alex Van mixland wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 22:44 CEST
Also i have little question to Waleed Morris, Tapwater and Vasdim: What monitors or headphones do you use for mixing?
First of all congrats to you, well done! in my home studio, I have a Focusrite vrm box and Sony MDR 7506 just for reference.
ConcreteMixer

Post by ConcreteMixer »

DigitalSoundLabs wrote: BTW I would have loved to announce ConcreteMixers mix as winner, and it was really the most far away from my version. Unfortunately the mix (tooo much bass energy) wasn't sufficient.
Thanks for the two shout outs! It really was a ton of fun working on your track and I appreciate getting the opportunity to do so. I wanted to do the mix competition to improve my mixing skills so I will take your feedback to heart and work on improving in future mixes.

Congrats to all the winners!
mattim

Post by mattim »

Hello guys
I am new and I have recently approached the world of mixes, I would like a hard and sincere criticism of my mix to be able to understand where I went wrong and be able to improve
Thanks bye everyone