2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
cdj1000

MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by cdj1000 »

I know I'm not in contest time but it's just for the fun
Comment if you want.

My mix https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DKRYI7 ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

While your entry is indeed "out-of-competition", just as an FYI, @cdj1000 - one can not access your file. GoogleDrive is aksing for a log-in.
MMA

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Submissions until 21-08-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by MMA »

Hello, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your mix. It's balanced although a little bit light on the low end side of things for my taste. I specially liked the Hi hat work you did and liked some drop outs during passages. I also like the strong hits you created, I had the same idea to have some "explosion hits" to accentuate the tempo and rhythm but didn't get the chance do concentrate on it and create something special. One thing that I differ a lot is how to treat the synth Lead around 2:40 seconds, that kind of panning going from a side to side is kind of distracting for me.

Best Regards,

Marcel Moraes
Clueless

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Submissions until 21-08-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Clueless »

MMA wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 20:19 CEST

Hello, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your mix. It's balanced although a little bit light on the low end side of things for my taste. I specially liked the Hi hat work you did and liked some drop outs during passages. I also like the strong hits you created, I had the same idea to have some "explosion hits" to accentuate the tempo and rhythm but didn't get the chance do concentrate on it and create something special. One thing that I differ a lot is how to treat the synth Lead around 2:40 seconds, that kind of panning going from a side to side is kind of distracting for me.

Best Regards,

Marcel Moraes
Hey Marcel,

thanks for the critique
So, I’n return
Starts big, maybe the verb on the snare at the beginning could move to be mono after the initial hits?
Then allow it to expand further after the bass section at the outset
The kick could do with a bit of variation also, the higher click, maybe a separated lane with an eq’d version? ( this was something I had hoped to do, but got stuck on trying to hit the lufs :/ )
Really, liking the transitions you have throughout, really push the track forward and you’ve really nailed the acidy stabs and higher licks, together with the variations,very rhythmic:)
Pad, is a little too much reverb, for me, losses a bit of power when it arrived, the violins are really nice, I guess it’s a compromise, to allow one to shine more?
Vocal works great. :tu:
Overall a really forward moving mix, nothing really sticks out as annoying

Although I should point out my speakers are just simple hifi bookshelf’s, so this is partly why my bass is somewhat compromised, mostly done using sight and Airwindows monitoring sub setting :)
As you pointed out, all criticism is pretty much spot on, the panning section you referred to is a bit excessive:)

Regards

Liam
DigitalSoundLabs

Post by DigitalSoundLabs »

Hi folks,

finally here is the result of rating the participants to go to round 2. For me it was also an interesting experience to listen into so many different mixes and really find these, who sound best to me or where I see the most potential. So here it is (in alphabetical order):

Alexvanmixland
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Nice punch...
-...but sometime less (distortion) can be more...
-It should get more "HiFi" at the end IMO

ConcreteMixer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Very intresting remix with good ideas
-Beat is too thin. Snare should sound rather than a typical Breaks/Dubstep Snare
-Volume mix is well
-Tonal it sounds a little odd, try to make it sound more "professional"

Franz
-Nice dry beat and interesting tonal aspects
-Nevertheless it doesn't sound like a finished Mix, should also get more "HiFi"
-Partly to much reverb, tends to get muddy

GauravTalreja
-Nice mix in general
-Snare should be fatter
-Might get a small amount in direction to "warmer" (more bass, partly less sharp highend)

Javiramallo
-Interesting remix
-You should take care to follow the music' dynamic/flow, e.g. at 0:12 you mad it bomb; at 0:17 or 0:32, where a new instrument is starting, you take away all the energy, instead of supporting it, you shouldn't do that

pabloAT
-Very musical mix
-Partly too sharp und thus could sound more coherent

rvalle
-Overall balance is very well.
-Maybe some more handfading on seconds-timeframes could make it more musical

Tapwater
-Tonal you made it pretty well
-Volume mix could be more harmonic and "round"

VasDim
-Very well mixed
-Maybe musical flow could be improved (handmixing on seconds-timeframe)

Waleed Morris
-Very musical mix
-Some few more creative elements would even spice it up

Have much fun in round 2!

BR
Samuel@DigitalSoundLabs
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 11-SEP-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, Samuel.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Friday, 11-SEP-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 10 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@Alex Van mixland
@ConcreteMixer
@Franz
@gaurav.talreja
@javiramallo
@pabloAT
@rvalle
@Tapwater
@VasDim
@Waleed Morris

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=8574#p8574

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
javiramallo

Post by javiramallo »

DigitalSoundLabs wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 23:36 CEST
Hi folks,

finally here is the result of rating the participants to go to round 2. For me it was also an interesting experience to listen into so many different mixes and really find these, who sound best to me or where I see the most potential. So here it is (in alphabetical order):

Javiramallo
-Interesting remix
-You should take care to follow the music' dynamic/flow, e.g. at 0:12 you mad it bomb; at 0:17 or 0:32, where a new instrument is starting, you take away all the energy, instead of supporting it, you shouldn't do that

Have much fun in round 2!

BR
Samuel@DigitalSoundLabs
Thank You DigitalSoundLabs. And thanks for the time you taked too listen and comment.

I´ll try to addrees something with the things you point.

Again Thanks.
Franz

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 11-SEP-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Franz »

Hi Samuel, hi everyone,

Thank you first of all for allowing me to participate in the R2.

For planning reasons, I had to finish my second version today without being able to wait for further explanations.
I took into account your comments on my first mix and especially reviewed all the programming of the reverbs.
I took care of certain details while specifying that there are limits, this second version is still still a mix and not a mastering.

Good listening !

Cheers

Franz

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekuh28gyya9z1 ... 2.wav?dl=0
VasDim

Post by VasDim »

In the second round I worked on timeframe.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kw3w2x1sul78p ... 2.wav?dl=0
Good luck to all.
VasDim