2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 12th September 2020, 4:00 (UTC+2) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Everyone has sent in an edit.
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
DigitalSoundLabs

Post by DigitalSoundLabs »

Hi guys,

don't get it done till today as it was originally planned. I will need the day tomorrow also. Sorry for letting you wait.

CU
Sam@DigitalSoundLabs
DigitalSoundLabs

Post by DigitalSoundLabs »

Hi all.

OK here it is. It was relatively easy to get the top 3. But arranging these then on the right places took me the whole night. So here is my rating:

1st place: Waleed Morris
It was the roundest Mix in the field, you followed my hints appropriately. Very musical. Well done!

2nd place: Alexvanmixland
Very powerfull and punchy mix. The main instruments sound very pithy, what I like.

3rd place: Tapwater
Good overall mix. You followed my hints well. I see your effort to bring some stereo Fx into the mix.

Honorable mentions:
-VasDim who was unfortunately disqualified. You surely would have found a place on the podium.
-ConcreteMixer who did a very impressive creative (re-)mix, but for the plain mixing job, others were stronger

Thanks to all who made the effort. It was a big experience to me to get so many mixes and compare them to each other.

I spare here to provide detail review for all. If one of you should be interested, please leave a message via PM or ask in this forum here, then I will provide.

BR
Samuel@DigitalSoundLabs
Waleed Morris

Post by Waleed Morris »

Thank you for picking my track 1st place!! glad you liked it.
congrats to the winners Alexvanmixland, Tapwater, and VasDim as well, you have a very good mix btw !!
see you guys in the next challenge !! I don't need any plugins atm, so this is Alexvanmixland's call!
Thank you Mr.Fox for efforts and stay safe everyone!

Cheers!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC068 August 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) @Waleed Morris
2) @Alex Van mixland
3) @Tapwater

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

Please don't forget the Songwriting Competition - which needs as much love as the Mix(ing) Challenge. See you on the flipside.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Waleed Morris wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 04:24 CEST
I don't need any plugins atm, so this is Alexvanmixland's call!
Thank you for this information, Waleed. Definitely great sportsmanship.
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Thanks DigitalSoundLabs for choosing my mix!
I really enjoyed to mix this track.
Congratulations Waleed Morris, Tapwater and Vasdim. You did very good job. Great mixes!

I'm Choosing: Metric Halo ChannelStrip.

Also i have little question to Waleed Morris, Tapwater and Vasdim: What monitors or headphones do you use for mixing?

Mister Fox - If i understood good i can choose second plugin (thanks to Waleed Morris)?

All the best!
Last edited by Alex Van mixland on Mon Sep 21, 2020 08:52 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

No - just one license/company... but since Waleed passed on the offerings, you have free selection.
Alex Van mixland

Post by Alex Van mixland »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 02:13 CEST
No - just one license/company... but since Waleed passed on the offerings, you have free selection.
Thank you!
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi all,

First of all congratulations to the winners. Excellent mixes, I must say.
Nevertheless, there is one thing quite striking: while listening to the mix of Waleed Morris,
I realize that it is very very close to the original mix of Samuel whereas mine is nevertheless
a little far from it.
This to say what ?
Looking back, very often the winning mixes are almost very close copies of the original songprovider mixes.
Suddenly, personal expression is still very limited. And if it is to copy the original as closely as possible,
it is no longer a mixing competition but a copying competition.
Thank you Samuel for your comment proposal for those of the second round who would ask you by PM,
but I will not do it because I had sent you a question by PM to ask you for an explanation for my future R2
and you don't never answered.

Cheers

Franz