2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
hjchjc

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by hjchjc »

My mistake!! Fixed :)
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Thank you very much for the mix critique. I wasn't expecting any since I was disqualified. I truly appreciate it.
Glad you liked how I handled the loops... unfortunately, I completely missed the boat on the vocals - not good at all.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 14-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, Joshua (hjchjc).

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Wednesday, 14-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 12 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@Dodgingrain
@GenBassman
@Green-Dog
@Mellow Browne
@MrFlat
@Olli H
@Optoslam
@rvalle
@shroom feverish
@Square
@Tapwater
@tobinth

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=8842#p8842

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
pabloAT

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 14-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by pabloAT »

Many, many thanks for the feedback (100% in agreement with your comment)!
Good luck to the all finalists.
Pablo
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

Hi hjchjc, no mix critique for me. I was the first poster.
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

hjchjc wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 22:49 CEST

Green-Dog: Vocals could be slightly higher once the full band comes in, but I love the depth so much. Love the feedback spins too! You really got the vibe I was going for. Could use a bit more vocal tuning on the bridge if you're comfortable doing that (as well as slightly less de-essing) but this is a clear standout, even as I wish the kick drum in the outro and the 'paranoids' were a bit higher.
Joshua, thank you for your criticism! I completely agree. I want to clarify one point: what you mean by Vocal tuning in the bridge? Use more "vocal DoUBLE" track or make "vocals LEAD VOX" more in tune?
javiramallo

Post by javiramallo »

Thank you very much for the mix critique.
I wish to every one to enjoy the second Round.

By the way, what is the meaning of "outro"? what part of the song you named like this?

Thanks in advanced.
jetwolf

Post by jetwolf »

Joshua,

Hey, thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I have to explain the timing of the vocals that contributed to the issues in the peak. I had a very short window to do the mix, and after a quick test print, I added a couple of aux tracks for some effects early in the song. I added those effects and reprinted quickly and only had time to monitor the section I changed at the beginning of the song. I ended up being bitten by the artificial Pro Tools track limit(what a major pain in the ass). Tracks will not print if I go over the limit. I did not realize I lost the BGV, so I think only the echoes on those parts were heard, explaining the strange time delay. I may have also lost some of the percussion tracks due to that issue as well. It seemed to lose some low end as well...have to go back and check. Totally on me for not having time to check the entire track, but it was the only quick window I had to submit. I caught it later, but, of course, no chance to resubmit.

Also, agree, I should have probably limited the phase to one section.

I will definitely take the compliment on the clarity of the tracks; glad that came through as that is one of the qualities that are most important to me and always strive to improve on.

Too bad I unknowingly messed that peak section up; I think I could have improved the rest. Oh, well; I had fun mixing the song in any event.

There were some really good mixes; great to hear the personal touches on the same tracks. Also, shout out to MixedByPeter; liked your mix, even though it was disqualified.

Thanks for the music and feedback, and thank you to Mister Fox for hosting the game.

Jetwolf
Oba Ozai

Post by Oba Ozai »

Congratulations to all finalists and organizers, you all are amazing. Thanks for helping me push the limits. See ya all next time. :)
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

hjchjc wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 22:49 CEST
Dodgingrain: You went for something more intimate for the percussion and pulled it off! Your use of the production details (and your own ear candy is great.) 1:55 kick drum could be higher bc it almost sounds non-existent. Like how you make the ending small but satisfying. Don't really like how high the vocals are at like 3:19 bc the mix is otherwise very well balanced, but that's a nitpick.
Hey hjchjc, thanks for the great feedback, this is a really cool song but wasn't an easy song to mix.

Here's what's changed in this version https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqpB-RLndYJrj9gWWn_ ... A?e=YMkJzG
1. kick drum at 1:55: boosted by 3db, added eq curve with small bump at 53hz, moderate boost at 2900hz to bring out the snap, wide cut at 300hz and cut at 520hz. Added small amount of compression and a small amount of attack. Side chained the kick in that section to the bass lines and pads to give the kick a little space, 1-3db compression on bass/pads when kick comes in via side chain. I wanted to try and keep this section intimate and not overwhelm it with the kick. I think the kick is more audible than before, hopefully its close to what you're thinking.

2. Vocals at 3:19+. Pull down levels on lead vocal by about 3 or 4 db, pulled down backing vocals by 2 db. Reduced high mid eq boost on backing vocals by 1-2db. Boosted one of the bass lines by .5db and drums by .5db.

3. Added .5db of reverb to the drums ;)
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/