2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Tapwater

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 14-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Tapwater »

Hello, here is my new mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11l1dWc ... p=drivesdk

Did a lot of work to the end section bringing up the intensity. Increased some of yhe guitars and percussion. Some work to the vocals.

Brought the bass down a bit for yhe reat of the song. Made some other minor changes to the percussion in the refrain to keep it feeling fresh.

Thank you!
shroom feverish

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Mix Round 2 until 14-OCT-2020 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by shroom feverish »

Here is my round 2 mix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Lp87g ... sp=sharing

Changes:
Vocals louder
More tuning for intro vocal
Eq cut around 240hz on bass slap synth
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 15th October 2020, 2:45 (UTC+2) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (missing is @MrFlat )
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final feedback and results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A short (administrative) update:

It was brought to my attention that one participant was left out of the statistics sheet. This was an oversight on my end, and I apologize for the faux pas. All statistics (the data sheet, the participation amount, the statistic homepage for the Mixing Challenge) have been updated accordingly.

:arrow: For the future:

Once the statistics PDF has been released, please double check if your name was mentioned. If not, then please reach out to me and I'll take another look. Thank you.
kevin gobin

Post by kevin gobin »

That was me, and it seems that my entry was not took into consideration.

I won a free mixing session anyway. :)

Good luck everyone.
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

Hi there!
Will have feedback by Wednesday. Sorry for the delay - I've just been busy with my IRL work
hjchjc

Post by hjchjc »

Without further ado...

Mellow Browne: Warmth! Creativity! Enerr! Filling space! backing counterpart are a little louder at than I'd like them to be for most of the songs, (then they could be a bit brighter in the outro) (1st)

Optoslam: Love the added effects and dynamics. Actual chills at 2:24. Maybe the bass is a little heavy (an overcorrection!) and I think the ½ echo (?) on vocals doesn't really work for the outro, until the ooh section, but other than that this has all the energy I was hoping for. Especially the ending! (2nd)

Dodgingrain: Tonally, this is beautiful. Band coming in at 1:07 could be a bit more dramatic (the section before that could have the percussion drop out so the entrance stands out more?). Then again, this mix remains a really cool approach. I like that the ending is kind of sneaky in its dynamics. You don't realize how big it it UNTIL the vocals drop out. (3rd Place)

Rvalle: This one goes hard. The drop-out 2:41 was courageous but it pays off. Love all the creative decisions here. That said, I think the vocals are distractingly bright and that's what prevents this mix from taking the top 3.

Genbassman:
Oooh the percussion is so in the pocket here. I feel like having all the vocals singing at the same time is a little bit jarring - also the bass (like the really low sub bass) feels kind of lost in the outro and it feels more weightless as a result.

Tobinth: Love the overall warmth of this mix and the placement of the percussion. The vocals are very resonant in the 500-1000hz range, to the point where it muddies the rest of the mix, then they feel oddly scooped in the outro. A shame because everything else about this is pretty great.

Green-Dog: the bass is fascinating here. I loved the delays on the first mix, but it feels a bit overboard here. There's something weirdly dry about the overall tonality, maybe it's a bit smile-curve? The way you play with percussion and vocals is really fun to hear.

Ollie: the stereo field use a little weird for me - there's not a lot on thee right ear to compensate for the louder backing vocals in the right ear until the counterpoint vocals. Ending is an overcorrection - do not like the slapback echo there bc it disturbs the overall rhythm of the song.

Square: Tonality is all over the place. Not a lot of depth. I don't get a strong sense of whether everything is positioned or what takes priority over what.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) @Mellow Browne
2) @Optoslam
3) @Dodgingrain

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

Please don't forget the Songwriting Competition - which needs as much love as the Mix(ing) Challenge. See you on the flipside.
rvalle

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC069 September 2020 - Winners announced

Post by rvalle »

Hi ppl!

I am very happy to have reached the fourth place among so many good mixes! I really appreciate your feedback, @hjchjc. In the 2nd round, I decided to take a little risk with som creative decisions, according to what you had said about musicality and progression in music previously. The idea of that fall before the final part arose precisely to prepare the audience with the elements appearing little by little and growing until the entrance of the final drop. I believe that the effect I used on the vocal in the quietest moments diverted my attention from the excessive brightness. Anyway, mixing this song was another excellent opportunity to learn and share. Thank you all very much and congratulations to the winners !!

:clap: :clap: :clap: