2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

Toxic Shot Dot wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 23:40 CET
It is clear that you "will not get into another argument on rules and "interpretation"" because you've lost the argument, you loose the argument and you will loose the argument.
I will now give you one more warning on how you tread from this point forward.

I was already in talk with the Song Provider on this issue, I was contemplating on maybe getting you back into the fold. With this post you just forfeit it.
  • You agreed to the game's given rules by uploading your entry.
  • You did not document on how you created this effect of "added content" - and I asked several times at this point.
  • You are not entitled to advance into the next round or win anything
  • You continue to question the established rules and my integrity as host and admin of this page

Finally: viewtopic.php?p=7#p7
Rules for participants of the Mix Challenge wrote: Giving feedback to each other:
  • if you didn't make it to "Mix Round 2", you can nicely ask for feedback from the song provider - but the "client" is not under any obligation to do so for participants outside the follow-up round

I am done playing around. I don't want this kind of behavior on this platform.
Please choose your next words wisely!
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

I can't read any harsh words by @Toxic Shot Dot in his reply, so I don't understand this "final warning". Toxic did indeed criticize the mix Challenge procedure and I think it is absolutely ok to do so. It is also ok to feel offended by critique but immunization against it by warnings without clearly pointing out the according problematic behavior of the warned person is quite a problematic path IMO.

I would like @Toxic Shot Dot to properly document how the effect in the end was achieved so we can see if there is any real rule violation or only a "felt" rule violation. Let's try to stay rational here and positive!

Cheers
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Apologies, but we do have these type of arguments every single month now. And at this point, it is getting quite tiring. So my patience has run short, as these types of posts are also very time consuming.

The criticism has been taken. I agree that the rules can be "interpretative" in rare cases like this.

I do have to point out the following comment from 24-MAR-2021
Toxic Shot Dot wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 01:21 CET
With my comment "add some noise broken Warp-Engine at the end" I've tried to be funny (apparently without success) - I do not literally mic'd up my broken Warp-engine in my garage and put the resulting file in the project; this little gag at the end was the result of a self-oscillating filter, pitchmodulation, distortion, sounddegradation-effects, vinyl-effect, reverb (quite a lot of effects for such a little gag).
Arguably, that got lost in the flood of text, and bad post layout. Apologies that I have completely missed that. However, I pointed out the game mechanics several times and also made clear, that there was no suitable documentation available on the "added content" by the time the deadline has been reached (part of the rule set).

Tongue in cheek or not... this and/or commenting/casually mentioning "I added some snare samples" (example!, does not apply to this game) are two reasons where your track is being put under a microscope. Everything else is already covered by the "Rules and Guidelines", and also the "Statistics Sheet" (bitrate, sampling rate, loudness values). Also - even after the fact (after the deadline), this explanation is still quite vague as to "what" was actually done, and which effects (hardware or software) were used to get there. I personally(!) might have a rough idea on certain tool usage - but this comes from my personal experience with experimenting in this field.

However - the Mix Challenge audio community thrives from sharing knowledge - being vague doesn't count to that and I will be more strict on that in future games.

:arrow: The thing where I stepped hard on the brakes though, were comments like:
  • "your statement implies..." and "I can't find such a rule." :arrow: even though the rules on documentation have been crystal clear, and by joining the game, participants agreed to them
  • "A disqualification of my mix doesn't make any sense and is a misuse of the rules of this mix challenge." :arrow: implying I "interpret" the rules as I seem fit
  • "It is clear that you "will not get into another argument on rules and "interpretation"" because you've lost the argument, you loose the argument and you will loose the argument." :arrow: implying that I am wrong with everything I said (with some added borderline "gaslighting" as bonus), undermining my integrity again, with the next paragraph stating
  • "I ask kindly the Song Provider Dodgingrain (and everybody who wants to) to listen to my disqualified mix and write here if you think this little gag at the end is a change of the arrangement that justify a disqualification by "possible rule violation" or not" and " I am not going to dicuss your opinion, I just want to hear it loud and clear." :arrow: clearly trying to rally up the userbase and client against the host/admin of this forum, once more undermining my integrity
As I have made clear in February, I have zero patience for that anymore - which sparked the final warning.

Once more:

The feedback and criticism has been taken/accepted. Certain things might be adjusted accordingly prior to the next game (remember: I'm but one person running this platform, and time constraints are a thing). However, you mentioning "I added something (that wasn't there)" is still a surefire way to get your entry and accompanying post thoroughly inspected.

I will get back to the Song Provider with this. But I am not making any promises.

:!: Additionally:

I kindly ask everyone to please focus on giving feedback to each other. This is what this stage of the game is for. Any further comments and arguments about "rules" will now be moved over to the Mix Challenge - General Gossip without any further notice.
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to mix this track, I know its not an easy one given the blend of styles. I wanted to make a few general comments on the initial evaluations. With a lot the mixes its really difficult to say one is better than the other. In a lot of cases certain sections of a one mix are better but often other sections are worse than another mix.

In general, there were some common areas where the mixes need some work. To me this mix is about creating atmosphere and getting the transitions between parts right, maybe more like a film score that an pop song?
1. The noise effect that starts around 0:42. A lot of mixes had this to much upfront. It should be in the background and it supposed to be something that isn’t noticed unless you’re looking for it.
2. The track called Background Arp was mixed far to hot in most of the mixes and didn’t feel like it was filtered correctly.
3. The transition at 1:35 should hit hard, the drums after this need to feel a lot like rock drums, don’t over compress them.
4. Most mixes didn’t get the riser correct going into 1:35, it often lost momentum to soon before the drums hit.
5. Make sure the track feels open and wide with good use of space.
6. The vocals need to work well, getting the reverb and volume right is critical.
7. The transition at 2:50 needs to feel like a DJ mixing two records together.
8. Make sure the track gives a feeling of isolation at 3:25.
9. The drums need to hit hard again at 3:50, the clap is critical for variation in the drum part vs. the earlier sections.

Top 11 for round 2 in alphabetical order:
Christop_k
Dadomachado
DimitrisPalantzas
Dnlptn
Dwic
Elroms
Maxoverdrive
Pabloat
Studjo
SuC76
Toxic Shot Dot (Lets consider this as a "wild card entry", Mister Fox and I discussed this mix at length and determined that it needs to be documented more completely to have any chance of moving forward in the next round especially when it comes to elements that were added to the mix, we are being nice so take advantage of it, lol)
Last edited by Dodgingrain on Wed Mar 31, 2021 00:50 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Here's the feedback on the individual mixes, again, thanks for working on this one!

Alavault:
Little muddy in the intro, rhodes has a strange effect on it that causes it to sound like its breaking up a little at some points, interesting delay/panning at 1:11, lead and vocals a little lost at 1:30, transition at 1:37 could hit harder I think the amount of reverb/delay prevents it, lead at 2:03 gets a little lost initially, vocals at 2:25 feel to try compared to rest of mix, maybe a little too much reverb to have the transition around 3:28 work but its close, 3:35 vocals feel like they fit better here, transition at 3:50 could be more dramatic and hit harder, clap after 3:50 sound good, like the ending after 4:20

AndyHsieh:
Mix needs more reverb to give a sense of space, Background Arp is to loud at 1:35 and not filtered correctly, transition at 1:35 could hit harder, drums lack impact after 1:35 transition, vocals at 2:25 are to dry, bass drone at 2:50 is to loud, transition at 3:50 needs to hit harder, ending is to abrupt

Aos_mix:
Pads that come in at 0:42 are a to quiet, Background Arp at 1:39 is to loud and not filtered correctly, transition at 1:39 could hit harder, drums are mixed a little to loud compared to the rest of the tracks, vocals are to try and a bit to buried, I try I try is lost in the background, vocals around 3:40 are better

AskAndy:
Intro is to far from the original, arrangement is changed to much from the original song, some odd vocal volume changes in the intro, background random noise sound is too loud, dark multisaw track is a bit lost in the background, lead sound at bar 50 is mixed to low and hard to hear, volume change on noise sweep into the first transition is to extreme, Background Arp is mixed to loud and not filtered correctly, lead pad around bar 68 is not present enough and timing is different around bars 78-80, there is an odd bass like sound effect starting around bar 84 that doesn't fit with the song, strange studder noise in the ending that is too loud and not in the original song

Christop_k:
Nice sense of space in the mix but a bit to much at times, Background Arp is to loud and not filtered enough starting around 1:30, transition at 1:35 is close noise riser doesn't quite work, drums have to much reverb after 1:35, vocals are a little to wet at 2:25 and the reverb might need to be changed, they is a percussive delay at 3:23 that doesn't quite work, need more feeling of isolation at 3:25-3:30, shaker after 3:50 is to loud, clap doesn't hit hard enough after 3:50, ending is interesting

Clueless:
I like the transition at 1:10 but the pads need to be a little louder a few bars later, transition at 1:35 falls just a little flat probably the noise riser, string bass pad sounds good after transition, lead at 2:10 is to quiet, vocals at 2:25 are to dry, balance a little off at 3:00 section, nice transition at 3:25 but by the time vocals come in at 3:35 the background synth part needs to be louder again, shaker at 3:50+ is to loud, clap could be louder in the end section

Coiled ear:
Riser at 0:08 is way to loud, pads after riser are to quiet, background noise effect could come down in level at 0:42 but the effect is interesting, pads around 1:25-1:35 are to wet with reverb and to quiet, transition at 1:38 doesn't work and drums don't sound correct, Background Arp is to loud and not filtered enough, some interesting ideas to explore around 1:58, vocals around 2:25 don't work for me they are to dry and hard to hear, balance on a few elements is off around 3:00-3:20, transition at 3:25 is good, noise riser at 3:45 is a little loud, I like the small bass swell around 4:22

Cpsmusic:
synth sounds at 0:42 start out to quiet but are then to loud at 0:51, synth sound that comes in at 1:23 is to quiet, transition at 1:37 could hit harder, drums feel a little thin, synth stabs at 2:55 are to quiet, shakers are to loud after 3:50, claps are not loud enough or impactful

dadomachado:
vocal at 0:07 is to quiet, first sound starting at the beginning is to loud compared to other elements in the intro, mix feels a bit narrow, Background Arp at 1:35 is to loud and not filtered correctly, drums lack impact, transition at 2:50 is well blended, vocals at 3:25 are a little dry, shakers after 3:50 are to loud

DimitrisPalantzas:
hat starting at 0:15 is a little to loud, bass is to quiet before 0:55 and to loud after 0:55, transition at 1:35 and drums after are good, off pitch bass note before 1:35 needs to be off pitch, after 2:50 transition ticking sound in left channel is to loud, transition at 3:20 could have more of an isolated feel, vocals at 3:25 sound like they are to much in a tunnel, shakers after 3:50 are to loud. Nice job overall.

dnlptn:
Mix sounds a bit muddy and thin at the same time, bass is a little to quiet, transition at 2:50-2:55 needs to be blended better, good transition at 3:20, shakers after 3:50 are to loud

Dwic:
Hat starting at 0:15 is to loud, background noise sound starting at 0:42 is a little to loud, Background Arp after 1:35 is to loud and not filtered enough, transition at 1:35 falls a little flat, synth lead around 2:05 sounds good, vocals at 2:25 sound to much off center, drums lack impact before 3:20 transition

Elroms:
Hat starting at 0:15 is a little loud, background noise sound at 0:42 is to loud, Background Arp at 1:35 is to loud and not filtered right, transition at 1:35 needs more impact, love background sounds around 2:30, kick needs more impact in general, nice transition at 3:20, vocals are a touch to try at 3:35, shakers after 3:50 are to loud

GBReal:
Mix could use work before 0:15, feels like there are some parts off pitch in the intro, mix is a little narrow, vocal at 1:30 is to low, Background Arp after 1:35 is to loud and not filtered correctly, transition at 1:35 falls flat, drums need more impact, some odd panning around 2:55 to 3:20, nice feeling of isolation at 3:25, to much mid low end at 3:50, Background Arp is to loud and not filtered correctly after 3:50

Gmcalister:
Bass is a little heavy in the intro, riser is a little loud at 0:07, bass at 0:57 is to loud, track could hit harder at 1:37 I think the bass sound is detracting from the transition between parts, kick around 2:00 is probably to loud and has to much beater sound, vocals feel a little dry, transition at 2:55 needs to be more dramatic, vocals a little loud at 3:40+, shakers at 3:50 are to loud, kick works better in the ending section vs. earlier in the track

green dog:
Mix could be wider and it feels flat, vocals starting at 2:25 get a little lost sometimes, noise riser at 2:50 is to loud and again at 3:20 and 3:50, shakers to loud after 3:50, some interesting effects in the ending section

Hiwatter:
Riser in the intro is a little loud and sound different from the production rough, random noise track around 0:42 is to loud this is supposed to be a background element, Background Arp track is to loud and not filtered correctly, transition at 1:35 falls a bit flat, bass is a little to loud after 1:35, vocals sound pretty good but maybe a little to much reverb on I Try I Try it takes me out of the mix, transition at 3:25 isn't sparse enough it needs to give that lonely and isolated feeling a bit more, vocals at 3:25 are nice again, ending is pretty good but bass is again a little to heavy and shakers are to loud

Hjchjc:
Vocal in intro around 0:10 sounds a bit out of phase or something, hat sound is wrong and to loud starting around 0:15 it overshadows the other tracks too much, bass staring around 0:57 is to loud, vocals are to drenched in reverb and a lot of the other leads tracks are as well starting at the transition at 1:35ish, I like the feel of the kick + bass line around 2:15, vicals around 2:30 are better but I try I try is a little loud, transition at 2:55 is interesting but the track being panned is a little loud and dry, I like how isolating it sounds at 3:28 nice job, change in vocal volume at 3:51 is to much vocals are to loud after that, interesting ending at 4:15+ I like it

JohnK:
Effect at 0:42 is cool but doesn't totally work, transition at 1:36 doesn't hit hard enough, distorted synth part is to quiet, effect at 2:08 is pretty cool and works but needs to change a little bit over time to not become to repetitive, vocals are a bit dry, vocal to quiet at 3:05, good transition at 3:25 but vocals right after it are to dry, I try I try that is dry is to loud at 3:50

jules666:
Interesting mix overall, I don't like the bass tone starting at 0:56, maybe a little to much distorting in some points, transition at 1:35 is interesting it doesn't quite work but its close, Background Arp is to loud and not filtered correctly, , lead at 2:10 is a bit lost, I like the bass fade in around 2:35 its nice and subtle, vocals get a little lost around 2:50, the bass lasts to long around 3:20 and doesn't give quite the feeling of isolation, I like the delay in the end

Loopwork:
Bass a little to loud in intro transition, hat to loud in intro, background noise effect at 0:42 is to loud, distorited lead is to loud and too distorted at 1:10 and drowns out other tracks, vocals at 1:33 are lost in the background, love the distorted string bass at 51:35 bars but its to loud, Background Arp is to loud and not filtered correctly, like claps at 2:05, drums are maybe a little muddy, vocals could use a different reverb, hats to loud in starting at 2:50 they are to distracting from everything else rest of drums sound a bit muddy compared to them, the transition at 3:50 could be more dramatic, some elements seem a bit lost in the ending

Maxoverdrive:
Background noise effect starting around 0:42 is to loud, not crazy about the bass tone starting around 1:12, Background Arp that starts aournd 1:31 is to loud and not filtered enough, transition at 1:35 is close noise riser isn't quite right, vocals starting at 2:25 are to loud and up front, transition at 2:50 works well, vocals at 3:35 are a little to loud, transition at 3:50 needs to hit harder, Background Arp is again to loud

Naturecord:
Mix feels narrow, transition at 1:37 needs work, Background Arp is to loud after 1:37 and not filtered enough, lead around 1:55-2:05 isn't present enough and not satisfying, vocals around 2:25 feel like there is a bit of low resonance build up from the effects, there is a synth stab that feels mixed to low around 2:55+, I try vocal at 3:49 is to loud, shaker is to loud after 3:50

Necaster:
Background Arp around 1:30 is to loud and not filtered enough, drums are a little bit loud compared to the rest of the track, vocal effect is interesting but maybe to much and vocals are to quiet, drum effect at 3:05+ is to much, nice transition at 3:25, vocals to wet at 3:35

Nimii:
Sound at 0:28 should be more in the background, noise effect at 0:42 is a little to loud, the one pad sound at 1:10 is to far in the background until 1:32, nice transition at 1:38 wasn't expecting that, lead synth around 1:58-2:25 could be louder, a little to much drops out when vocals come in, synth parts to quiet at 3:05, vocals at 3:35 doesn’t work to muted, Background Arp to loud and not filtered correctly at 3:57, ending is interesting

Pabloat:
To much effect right at the beginning, noise effect track starting at 0:42 is to loud, noise riser doesn't quite work in the transition at 1:37, Background Arp at 1:38 is to loud and not filtered enough, vocals starting around 2:25 are to dry and probably could use more reverb, vocals at 3:35 work well, shakers are to loud in the ending, overall the kick doesn't feel like it hits hard enough in the song

PhiloneusMonk:
to far from the original, rhodes timing is off, Background Arp is way to present, not enough impact in the first major transition when the drums come in, mix is muddy here and feels like there are some timing issues again, vocals are way to try and timing feels off on I try I try, bass to loud after 2nd major transition, 3rd transition isn't bad as the intent is for the mix to be very sparse for a few bars, vocals are better after this, ending isn’t to bad

RoadieShow:
Bass to heavy in intro, riser around 7 seconds is to loud, pads around 0:42 are a little lost, not sure about the studder effect on the pads, Background Arp at 1:35 is to loud and not filtered enough, like the bass sound starting at 1:38 but maybe just a little to loud, studder effect works better at 2:06 vs earlier in the track, vocal sound at 2:28 doesn't work for me, high sound starting around 2:51 is to loud, song is to loud at 3:22, vocals work better at 3:37 vs earlier in the track, shaker sound at 3: 50 is to loud, bass around 4:05 is pretty cool sounding

Satchboogie:
Background noise effect starting at 0:42 is little to loud, sound that comes in at 1:23 is to quiet, Background Arp that starts around 1:30 is to loud and not filtered correctly, transition at 1:37 needs to hit harder, love the placement and tone of the string bass sound around 1:40ish, synth lead around 2:00 is great and it works well with the transition at 2:05, vocals starting around 2:25 are close but don't feel quite right, I try I try part is interesting but maybe a bit to forward, transition at 2:50 is rough and could use some work listen to the production rough on this, vocal gets a little bit lost at some times around the 3:36-3:37 mark, shakers are to loud at 3:50, the transition at 3:50 could hit harder, I think the balance in the last section could use some work bass is to loud

Skym:
Bass a little to loud in intro, pads a little low at 1:10+, Background Arp is to loud and not filtered correctly, transition at 1:37 doesn't hit hard, lead around 1:55 could be louder, drums feel a little dry, vocals at 2:27 are to dry, transition at 2:50 isn't dramatic enough, transition at 3:35 doesn't feel isolated enough, vocals after 3:30 sound good, claps after 3:50 could have more impact

SonicShade:
Noise sound starting at 0:42 is to loud and needs to be more in the background, lead synth sound that comes in at 1:09 is to loud, vocal at 1:35 is good, groove changes far to much at 1:37 I think the issue is in the drum track, bass sound at 2:27 is interesting but a little loud?, groove at 2:50 is to different from the original, transition at 3:20 doesn't give the feeling of isolation, shakers are to loud in the ending section

Square:
Intro effects are interesting but to much, noise track starting at 0:44 should be quieter, drop at starting at 1:32 is to loud and not filtered enough, transition at 1:37 is interesting but the effect added gets a bit repetitive as the section continues it needs some variation or to be faded out or something to add some interest, vocals starting around 2:25 are to dry and upfront or maybe to loud, transition at 2:55 doesn't quite feel like it works, transition at 3:50 sound prettty good, odd sounding right at the end like there is to much drum sound still there

Studjo:
Background noise effect starting at 0:42 is to loud, Background Arp starting around 1:30ish is to loud and not filtered enough, transition at 1:35 isn't quite there, vocals are lost starting at 2:25 and to dry, transition at 2:50 is very interesting but the hats are to loud and overall the track is a little to loud until 3:20, fade out transition at 3:20+ is good, vocals around 3:30 are good, Background Arp is again to loud in the ending, shakers are to loud

suC76:
Transition at 1:35 isn't quite right, Background Arp staring around 1:31 is to loud and not filtered correctly, drums could hit harder after 1:35 transition, vocals around 2:25 are a little to wet or it’s the wrong reverb, low end doesn't sound quite right after 3:50, shakers are to loud after 3:50

Tapwater:
Noise sounds starting in around 0:42 are mixed to loud, this is supposed to be a subtle background element, off pitch bass is to loud 1:06 its supposed to be off pitch to create tension but somewhat in the background and less noticable, there are some interesting effects starting at 1:35 but the transition falls a little flat and the Background Arp track is to present and not filtered enough, vocals sound good but maybe get a little lost at times, transition at 2:50 could be more dramatic, transition at 3:20 could create more of an isolated feeling, I love the pitch down in the bass track at 3:48 that sound really cool!, claps could be more present in the ending, I think the bass in the ending masks some of the other tracks too much

Tgerginov:
Slightly muddy has a bit of a blanket over the entire mix, riser at 0:08 is to loud, good balance between 0:40 and 0:50, transition at 1:10 could be slightly better, drums are lost at 1:37 doesn't give that hard rocking impact, change at 2:05 is a little drastic I think the drums being so far back doesn't hold the track together, transition at 3:25 is pretty close it needs to give more of a feeling of isolation, transition at 3:50 needs to hit harder again drums are to low and don't hit hard

Toxic Shot Dot:
Synth part starting at 0:14 is a little to distorted for my taste, good job on the background noise that starts around 0:42, like the overall tone around 1:10+, Vocal at 1:30 is a to quiet, Background Arp sound is to loud and not filtered enough after 1:35, 1:35 transition is well done but drums after 1:35 sound overly compressed and a bit lifeless, vocals at 2:25 are interesting, transition at 2:55 is reasonably well done, transition at 3:20 could have more of a feeling of isolation, vocals at 3:35 are well done, shakers are to loud after 3:50, Background Arp is to loud again, ending is interesting but doesn't quite work and is an element that wasn’t in the original mix. If your going to add any production elements make sure to document them.

Tunenvy Daddidio:
Vocals to quiet at 0:07, the pumping effect around 0:15 feels out of place, entire mix feels a little to narrow, lead synth parts that come in at 1:09 and 1:23 are to quiet, vocal at 1:35 is missing or way to quiet, transition at 1:37 doesn't hit hard enough, drop arp at 1:37 is to loud and not filtered enough, good transition at 2:05, vocals around 2:30 are to wet for my taste, vocal effect at 2:37 is interesting but the tone is a little to harsh, transition at 2:50 could use some work, noise fade sound at 3:22 needs to be turned down in volume, some of the vocals at 3:35 feel like they are missing, shaker is to loud at 3:50, ending section could use work listen to how the production rough sounds here

VasDim:
Hat that comes in at 0:15 is to loud, background noise effect that comes in at 0:43 is to loud, Background Arp that fades in at 1:31 is to loud and not filtered enough, vocal at 1:35 is to quiet, transition at 1:37 could use some work, synth lead part that comes in at 1:51 is to loud maybe start by lowering 4-6db? otherwise that part sounds good, kick drum in general could hit harder, noise hits starting around 2:29 are to loud, there is something odd effect-wise on the vocals starting at 2:25 they feel out of phase or something similar to that, I try I try works well, noise fade out at 3:20 could be quieter, vocals at 3:35 sound good, noise riser at 3:45 is to loud, shakers after 3:50 are to loud
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 05-APR-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @Dodgingrain.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Monday, 05-APR-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is a bit more than 5 days. All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail, as this has been the case for a couple of month now.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 11 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order)
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@Christoph_K
@dadomachado
@DimitrisPalantzas
@dnlptn
@Dwic
@elroms
@maxovrdrive
@pabloAT
@studjo
@SuC76

Wild-Card:
@Toxic Shot Dot
 ! Bonus Info
The Song Provider (@Dodgingrain) and I had a long conversation behind the scenes on this topic. The addition of @Toxic Shot Dot is a "Wild-Card Entry".

Not only are you (@Toxic Shot Dot) asked to overhaul your mix, based upon the feedback given. You are also bound to document your edit - most specifically how you created the "added content". By that, we want to read what tools you've used, what the "trigger" for this effect was, and how everything has been connected. Please also provide additional screenshots.

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=10152#p10152

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
elroms

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC074 March 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 05-APR-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by elroms »

Thanks for the feedback @Dodgingrain

I just have 2 questions about your comments, when you say "background noise sound at 0:42 is to loud" are you talking about the tracks you named "Um" or the kind of scratchy effect called "No (45)"?

And when you say "kick needs more impact in general", do you mean from the moment the kick track comes in, or even before at 1:35 when the drumkit (track called "Snare") comes in?
DimitrisPalantzas

Post by DimitrisPalantzas »

WoOow!!!! :DDD I just wanted to say that I am so happy my mix goes to the 2nd round! I found this great forum 3 years ago and i ve submitted a mix for 10 challenges. I never made it and there were 2 times the song providers told me I was very close. I am 22 years old, not a professional but definetely an extremely aspiring one. Most of the times I loved my mix but the providers didn't seem to feel it the way I did :(. When I saw my name for the round 2, I literally started jumping in my room and punching any furniture around.. :-O Huge thanks to Dodgingrain and Mister Fox for making this happen. Can't wait to work on the aspects pointed in the feedback! I never thought I'd see that day!
satchboogie

Post by satchboogie »

@Dodgingrain

Thank you for listening and feedback, even though i was late with my submission. I appreciate it.

satch
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

elroms wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 CEST
Thanks for the feedback @Dodgingrain

I just have 2 questions about your comments, when you say "background noise sound at 0:42 is to loud" are you talking about the tracks you named "Um" or the kind of scratchy effect called "No (45)"?

And when you say "kick needs more impact in general", do you mean from the moment the kick track comes in, or even before at 1:35 when the drumkit (track called "Snare") comes in?

Hey elroms, the specific track is Noise Background, most mixes had that track to hot for my liking. The production rough is a good guide on where that track should be from a volume standpoint.

As far as the kick it would be starting at 1:37 in your mix which should be the track called Snare which I believe is a stock audio drum loop in cubase. Yah, not the best naming there on my part, lol. If you do a rough level match of your mix vs the production rough mix you should be able to hear the difference in the low end of the drums between the two and how the drum groove changes with your mix. In your mix it feels like the the drum track pattern is a bit plain as the kick pattern is a little lost.

Hopefully you have a DAW that lets you flip back and forth between your mix and another audio track (the production rough mix) with one button click so you can compare your mix vs the production mix. Its really helpful to constantly do that. In cubase the control room cue's are great for that, not sure about other DAWs.

Best of luck on the edits.
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc