2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
RodA

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Mix Round 3 until 21-05-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by RodA »

Here is my round three revision mix.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhjesbxmgr0dj ... 3.wav?dl=0

Changes Made

2db off bass at 200hz small boost between 500 and 1000 hz

Introduced more automation of vocal reverb. Dryed up sections of vocal. Used Eq set to MID to reduce reverb in the MID signal but leave it in the SIDES.

3 db boost at 4.5 kHz on Chorus vocal. Added a bus and used a pitch shifter/delay to create a very subtle width effect on the vocal. Dialled in very low.

Put a dynamic EQ on the bass Side-chained to the kick so the bass gets slightly ducked by the kick; thus giving the kick a bit more punch.

Increased snare and clap volume.

Added parallel distortion and Transient monster to the TOMs to help them cut through.

Dryed up sections of vocal

Dryed audience sound.

Adjusted background vocal levels with automation.

EQ’ed mix to add a bit of sheen.
Cheers,
RodA
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Mix Round 3 until 21-05-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by White Punk OD »

GmfSongs wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 20:13 CEST

Hope this helps!!!!
ah, I see...
thx I'll do my best, hope it works!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Rev3 Mix

https://signalflowau-my.sharepoint.com/ ... Q?e=1PvOe8

Thanks for the chance to mix the song it was a great track to mix.

Add a bit of sparkle to the intro piano. - Added 1.5 high shelf 7k up

I think this mix would benefit from using the 66 VS BG FX guide track or a similar DDL. - Added the track from FX folder and blended.

Electric guitar can be fatter & louder to build those sections. - Made them louder and and full stereo with MS with eq, level different to the centre channel to avoid clashing with the LVox

Is it a super short bright plate? The Vox FX I use are the Waves CL plugin which has 4 delays and 4 different types of reverb which can be routed each other which I use different reverbs and delays in different sections.

Please juice the chorus vocals just a bit more when the samples are playing. - Added the Black Box Saturation on BV Bus which lifted them to the front.

Increase the high Vox harmonies at 4:15 by quite a bit - Made change.

Used bus Automation to lift and drop sections accordingly to make sure the last Chorus felt powerful (used up to 1db increases in Chorus)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours of submitting your edit for Mix Round 3.
Frequency Painter

Post by Frequency Painter »

Hi Endicott,

Round 3. I have done what you asked as best as I can. I understand your comment e. piano vs bass and I listened to your mix again carefully. The piano in my mix has a different eq and thus it relates differently to the bass. Changing it altered the interaction between all the other instruments too much. That's why I left it like it was. I played with the reverb levels in the chorus, the impact is not really noticeable though, hopefully it's what you meant. Stomps and claps are louder. Worked on the bass too...

Best regards,
FP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asro5i9wfh2fp ... 3.wav?dl=0
kirurg

Post by kirurg »

Thank you Endicott for another round.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j78xy1tx511ya ... 3.wav?dl=0

Addressed in some ways every thing you were referring. There is a bit more impact for
percussions (and bass) in choruses, applause more prominent, lead vocal a bit louder overall,
some minor alignments between lead and harmonic vocals. For some time I did not discover
what could cause a distortion in electric piano, I just did not hear any. Still found finally
the bass guitar's midrange together with el. piano were arousing such artefacts. So I did cut mid EQ
(by manually editing) in bass track in a few parts.
GmfSongs

Post by GmfSongs »

Hello all,

I’m looking forward to hearing all your mixes. You’ve done an amazing job so far! If you’re curious about even more feedback, there’s also the weekly Reddit audio engineering subgroup that offers technical critiques...it’s very unbiased. Talk soon!

https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineeri ... ame=iossmf
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Hi all,

I hoped that I will find some time today on friday to make a serious third mix version. But unfortunatelly life is too busy in the moment and I have to quit this third round.
Anyway, thank you very much for choosing my second mix for the third round. It makes me proud and happy.

Good luck to all others in the third round!
Manfred
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Hello GmfSongs and everyone,

this is my update for R3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JhkiLr ... sp=sharing

Verse:
Reverb tails shortened and automated. Intro and last words have now short decays.
Put a multiband in the reverb send of the LittlePlate, that keeps off the sibilants and harsh sounds.

Bass:
made it louder with clip gain for the bridge, so it drives the Ampeg a bit harder. Automated 2 notes that seemed loud.

Stomp and clap sounds:
some surgical EQ and boosted some mid-range and the volume of the off-beat sounds.

>>That non lin style snare verb is stepping on mixes mids and guitar frequencies. Maybe it’s a little too long, too wide or too loud.
Snare reverb somewhat shorter, added surgical EQ - attenuate around 400, boost 140 and 1500 a little bit. This improved for masking issues.

Crash got 6dB hipass and lowpass.

The high synth got a more intense dynamic compression (TDR Nova) for the harsh sounds, and was attenuated at the start of the 2nd chorus with volume automation.

Chorus gang vocals got the IRON comp in m/s mode for stronger stereo image. This triggered some more corrections, as a certain choir register that was more in the center, became weaker.

Please enjoy, and good luck to everyone for successful editing and a good result!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC075 April 2021 - Mix Round 3 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 22nd May 2021, 1:05 (UTC+2) - the 3rd Mix Round has officially ended.

Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (@Photonic due to time constraints)
We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final feedback and results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.