2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Ollio

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Submissions until 21-06-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Ollio »

Hello everyone and thanks for this opportunity!

Here's my mix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa2qqh6g0tl3b ... o.wav?dl=0

So my main goal was to finish this efficiently, and to keep it pretty natural and warm sounding. I kept my main focus on the vocal and the piano, trying to keep them both as the main elements without them fighting each other, and that is achieved by some careful eqing and lots and lots of automation that I did with a fader controller.

I tried to be very careful not to make the drums sound like a rock kit playing a tom beat. I ended up avoiding high and high mid boosts with an eq and opted to use Saturn with a high or mid band instead, with a pleasing result IMO. Not a huge amount of compression, a bit of leveling and overall a Kush UBK as a parallel compressor blended in a little, with a slowish release to bring sustain rather than more transient. The low end needed a tiny bit of help from bx subsynth.

Overall I set some quick levels, and very quick processing mainly with the bx SSL 9000 emulation, FF Q3, and the Arousor with some Kush plugins and a Soothe 2 here and there, stuff that is already in my template. Mix bus had a PA Shadow Hills compressor, followed by a Kush Clariphonic in to a Gullfoss with very mild settings. I also had a parallel Mix bus that kicked in in the parts that needed a lift, and that one had a Sugar to excite the mix when needed. After setting up the mix bus I focused on riding the transitions to have more emotional impact, fixed some clicks that I could find, and rode the fader wherever it needed to be ridden (is that a word?), levels, various delay sends etc. So lots of subtle automation.

Reverbs are mainly free Bricasti IR's for Waves IR-1. Some Valhalla there too. Delays were a few different Echoboy JR's in a few different settings. I didn't set individual delays or reverbs for every element, I felt like using just a few returns for everything to have a bit of glueing ambience approach.
Pemberley

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Submissions until 21-06-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Pemberley »

Here's my submission: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sGhJPd ... sp=sharing

Really enjoyed working on this one! I haven't done much work in this genre, and had a lot of fun trying to place each instrument in the mix. Here's a breakdown per part:

DRUMS:
-- Valley People Dynamite plugin on each of the toms, and DBX 160X on the set. Really succeeded in emphasizing a snappy attack and giving some weight to a great part.
-- Bit of EQ on each part
-- That's about it! No drum bus processing here; I was happy without anything.

BASS:
-- bx_greanscreamer
-- Ampeg SVTR classic

Vocals:
--TDR Molot on each part
-- PSP Twin-L on each part
-- Reaper stock de-ess on the lead
-- Foote P3S on bus

PIANO:
-- Pulsar MU
-- Sidechain compression from vocals

DIDGERIDOO
-- Just a bit of saturation to help it stand out

SFX
-- Various EQ to help lock the mix together

REVERB
-- Exponential Nimbus, Large Chamber, receiving from most things in small amounts

Looking forward to any feedback, and thanks for the opportunity!
SuC76

Post by SuC76 »

Hi,

Here's my mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mY_94D ... sp=sharing

BD: split into 3 tracks, cla76, stock eq

BD parallel

BASS: split into 3 tracks, cla76, la3a, stacked, stock eq, sidechain 3 dB GR

Keys: subbed into one group, stock eq

VoC: split into 4 tracks, cla76, la3a stacked, stock eq, added some low oct., widener, chorus, on choruses

BG VOC: split into 2 tracks, cla76, la3a stacked, stock eq, roll off some top, added some low oct., widener, chorus

DAW: Ableton Live 10

Mixbus:
VTM Brit-N, UAD-Pultec, VTM

Good Luck
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 22nd June 2021, 00:30 UTC+2/CEST - the first Mix Round has officially ended

Another very warm welcome to all new participants (which are a lot this month!) and as usual, a huge thank you to everyone that is spreading the word about the Mix Challenge. Please help get the Songwriting Competition as popular (less than 3 days left).

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 46 submissions this month (46 prior to the deadline, 47 including entries after the deadline)
  • We have 1 submission after the deadline (as of 22-JUN-2021 0:40 UTC+2/CEST)
  • We have 1 submission that could not be downloaded by the time of this post and is therefore disqualified
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn (but counts as entry within the deadline)
  • Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters? (PDF - updated: 23-JUN-2021, full sheet)
  • Overview of Submissions (disqualifications only) (PDF - updated: 23-JUN-2021)
INFORMATION:
Statistic sheets have been updated (on 23-JUN-2021)
Statistic sheets are not available yet, please wait for the official announcement post

:arrow: INFORMATION:

Until the end of 2020, I provided a data sheet each month showing all entries and what values they have in terms of loudness (LUFS ILk), maximum signal strength (dBTP), if they are in the correct bitrate and sampling rate, if they were downloadable, etc. You can read about the whole process here.

As of 2021, I'm continuing this endeavor as additional learning tool for the Mix Challenge. This data sheet is not an automated process. I will post separately once I have the data sheet prepared and uploaded (which will be linked to from this post you're reading right now).

:arrow: INTRODUCING "WILD-CARD" GAME MECHANIC:

From MC075 / April 2021 to/including MC078 / July 2021, we're testing a new game mechanic. This game mechanic offers participants with minor issues to their mixes, a chance to still advance towards the next round. At the cost of using a "wild card".

Please read here how this concept works in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=452

I now open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.

Good luck to all participants.

:arrow: The Songwriting Competition 46 (SWC46) is still in full swing.
The deadline is 24th June 2021, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST. The genre is "free to select" - interaction is highly encouraged.

Please spread the word!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow: The "Overview of Submissions" PDFs have been uploaded.
You can check them through the upper post (post #54).

Apologies for the waiting time.

As mentioned in July 2020, this data sheet is used for giving an overview of all entries, and whether or not they are within given parameters (loudness, sampling rate, bitrate). As of 2021, I'm continuing this endeavor as this is adding to the learning process, and there will be a dedicated "Mix Challenge Addendum thread" explaining the mechanic in the foreseeable future (I need some time for that). Please take note that creating this sheet is not a fully automated process. I am using Wavelab 10's "Batch Analysis" tool (EBU R-128 specs / equivalent to ITU-R BS.1770-3+), but the overall layout and highlighting issues/mishaps, is time consuming. If you do not find yourself on this list, please let me know.

We have a disqualification rate of 26,08% for June 2021 (46 entries, 12 disqualifications, not counting the 1 submission after the deadline).

In comparison to previous months (now in spoiler tags):
► Show Spoiler
On average (11 months), we currently have a disqualification rate of 29,37% (compared to last month's 29,71% avg).

:arrow: A commentary on this month's entries:

We're having a lot of new faces this month - welcome. Great to have you here, I hope you enjoy your stay. It is also great to see, that the majority of the new participants are mostly sticking to what has been established with the Rules and Guidelines.

But we still have plenty of mishaps. in one case, there was an uncontrolled strong peak on the right channel, something to look out for. The biggest problems are still LUFS ILk max, and of course a lack of sometimes even basic documentation. Also note that the "lackluster" documentation ones could be better (not a criteria of disqualification, this was usually also part of overshooting on loudness and/or dBTP). Please don't just mention "I used plugin ABC". Please explain what you did to get to a certain sound. This is a community for learning after all.

Furthermore, we are an international community. I know that some of you aren't as fluent in English. But please, we'd love to understand what you're writing, so that it's easier for us to interact -- so please write in a universal language like English. (I will let this slide for one more month, @diegonerysts, but I sadly can't make any more exceptions - next time, I'll sadly have to disqualify you).

We sadly also had the usual "attention to detail" related issues, as in rendered in 48kHz (source material was 44kHz), non accessible link (even as of the timestamp of this post). And while one entry could in theory be associated with a forum username, we have clear rules on associating your file with your forum account (this entry also lacked documentation, IMHO the more severe exclusion criteria).

:arrow: However - this is where the "Wild Card mechanic" comes into play.

As long as your mix could be downloaded, you didn't "reupload" during MIx Round 1 or didn't submit an entry outside of the deadline, you have a chance to use a "Wild Card" if your entry has been disqualified, and the Song Provider decides to offer you another chance. This in turn gives you the option to fix your slight mishaps, learn from this experience and prevent mishaps in future games.

:!: UPDATE (23-JUN-2021 12:15 UTC+2/CEST)

Notice that with the thread update, I cleaned up the Statistic Sheet as well. I have especially been lenient on naming your files properly. We have a filename template - please use it in the future. Additionally, the section "something to look out for" (footer of PDF) is informal only and not a disqualification criteria. This month, I pointed out signals that drop below -6,00 dBTP, and added an explanation why your 24bit files might drop to 23bit after it was run through an analyzer like built into Wavelab 10.

:arrow: I (re-)open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however. Though please note - criticism on the rule set and angry posts will be moved to the General Gossip Thread without further notice.

Please watch this spot for the client feedback and Mix Round 2 participant announcement.
This will happen sometime within the next 14 days (starting tomorrow).

In the meantime, please check out Songwriting Competition 046 (June 2021). The Deadline is 24-JUN-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST - a bit more than 36 hours left, and so far only 1 entry. This month's genre is "free to select" - just make music, and have fun doing so!
studjo

Post by studjo »

huch sorry guys but any pointers why Mr Fox can't downlaod my mix? It should be open for anybody having that link ...
TomImmon

Post by TomImmon »

studjo wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:00 CEST
huch sorry guys but any pointers why Mr Fox can't downlaod my mix? It should be open for anybody having that link ...
Nope, it seems it's private. You can test yourself with a different browser or log out from Google Account before testing.
studjo

Post by studjo »

Thanks I'm too stupid for this - thanks for checking - I think I got it fixed but I'm not sure - <beep> next time
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

As of the timestamp of this post (12:35 UTC+2/CEST), posts #54 and #55 have been updated/fixed. The Statistic Sheet PDFs have been updated as well.

There should be all participants properly listed now. Apologies for the inconvenience and misattribution.

@studjo
I've checked your entry several times, even up until I posted the PDFs around 11:00 UTC+2/CEST. Google insisted that I log-in in order to download the file. I tried this with two different browsers. Checking your link now results in being able to access the file. (also: language please!)

I can still add your entry readouts to the statistics (give me another 20min). I am also very sorry that this happened. However, I can overlook a wrongly written filename, but not getting access to a file after the deadline and the posted PDFs. (also... your file ends with Studjomix STEREO_06-01.wav -- not studjo.wav, therefore "filename association").

EDIT (12:52 UTC+2/CEST): PDFs updated again
studjo

Post by studjo »

Hey man no worries - I thought everybody with the link can dl the file but thought something might be missing ... and yup I haven't set it to whatever google wants me to set it. ... oh and thanks for the reminder of your strict labelling regime :D :D :D one day I'll make it all right again promised!