2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @RodA

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Sunday, 11-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

As of this moment, that is a bit more than 5 days. All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail, as this has been the case for a couple of month now.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 12 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@alavault
@AndyM
@DeifDiamond
@Dodgingrain
@elroms
@kirurg
@maxovrdrive
@Nimii
@odistdan
@Ollio
@s&f
@White Punk OD

! Bonus Info
Please be aware, that there was no participant selected this month that would have been eligible for a "wild card". This doesn't mean the mechanic is not in use anymore, only that the Song Provider didn't select your particular entry for Mix Round 2. Please don't take this negative, but see it as a learning opportunity and try again in the next Mix(ing) Challenge.

If you want to read up more about the "wild card" game mechanic, please do so here (test run until AUG-2021):
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=452

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=10842#p10842

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines in mind regarding submitting your entry.
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by White Punk OD »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 09:05 CEST
Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 77 - June 2021

You might have heard of this multi-track package before, since it was already showcased in 2015 through the Cambridge-MT Free Multi-Track Library repository (hosted by Mike Senior). However we have the added benefit of the songwriter being actively present, and him deciding on how the game further progresses. Without him and his interaction, this particular mixing challenge wouldn't exist.
@RodA, Mister Fox,
I have a question.

As the song is public already, can we use our mixes in a public portfolio, and upload eg. on Soundcloud?

Thanks for keeping me for the next round!
AndyM

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by AndyM »

Thanks for Choosing my mix. It was quite a challenge but I enjoyed mixing your song and the genre.

There were 2 reverbs on the Lead Vox

I increased the Predelay and reduced the level of the Room Reverb to allow the LV to sit forward in the mix.

Slighty (.5db) reduced the dark Plate Reverb

Cleaned up some breathes I'd missed.

V2 Mix

https://signalflowau-my.sharepoint.com/ ... w?e=dIzJ4P
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

White Punk OD wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 18:10 CEST
As the song is public already, can we use our mixes in a public portfolio, and upload eg. on Soundcloud?
As the rights lie with "Keystone Angel" (and @RodA being a part of this act), I can't decide that.
Please PM him directly to clear legalities outside of the Mix(ing) Challenge.
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Dodgingrain
Nice balance overall. Hard to critique too much really. I think the piano gets lost sometimes and the word dance coming into the didgeridoo part could be a bit louder as it starts.
Thanks a bunch for picking my mix for round 2! :tu:

I adjusted the "dance" up 4db, you're totally right, it was to low. I reduced the dynamic eq a little on the piano and did some additional automation to prevent it getting lost as much. I also found about a half dozen small tweaks to the vocals which were pretty minor but fixed a few really small issues here and there.

mix is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqpB-RLndYJrkOU7Su_ ... Q?e=YS1H1I
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
odistdan

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by odistdan »

RodA wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 04:05 CEST
Thank-you everyone who had a go at mixing our track “Afterglow”. Its been a very interesting and educational experience to listen to so many mixes and hear all the different approaches taken.

I have approached my critiques to all the mixes as if I am talking to a professional mix engineer and asking for a revision.

Askandy
Nice overall tonal balance. Like the drums working together. The reverse cymbal is a bit loud especially in the higher frequencies. I like the tonality of the vocals however I think it is being masked a bit by the higher frequency percussion I realise this is a tricky thing to balance. Also I would like to hear the piano and flute sound louder in the mix.

EchoOread
Like the solid sound of the bass. The overall tonality however sounds a bit constrained. Everything above 5khz drops off and as a result the mix lacks sparkle. I like some of the percussive elements in the low mids but I feel the piano is too low in the mix. The vocal I think has too much cut out of the low mids and sounds a bit thin

dhiser21
Good balance across the spectrum. I think the low drum and bass are fighting each other a little. Maybe EQ or side chaining a compressor on the bass to the kick. I like the tonality of the vocal and the reverb but Im hearing a bit too much distortion. I think the piano could be brighter and more present.

Studjomix
Like the sub on the bass drum. The vocal sound is good however I think the mix as a whole is too bassy with not enough top end. A high shelf boost over the whole mix would help. I actually really like the balance between instruments. Maybe more upper mids on the piano.I realise this is a tricky balancing act.

fdelmo
Nice mix. Like the level of the piano and flute sound. The vocals needs maybe a bit more presence. Good low end. Also where is the Dideridoo?

denzzony
Quite like the overall balance. I think the bass and low frequency percussion elements are fighting each other a bit. Maybe some judicious EQ and sidechaining. More presence on the piano would be nice. And although its nice to hear the hand claps I think they sound a bit disconnected somehow. A bit more high mids on the vocal.

DeifDiamond
Very full sounding mix. Like the low end the piano is nice and the reverb. I feel there is a lack of definition in the top end. I realise its a delicate balance to not have the high frequency percussive elements mask the vocals. I think the vocal could be boosted in the high mids to help it cut through.

TheLordRudman
Overall I like the fact this mix uses the whole frequency spectrum however I think that there are problems within certain elements. The low end percussive elements seem to be boosted around 150hz which sounds a bit boxy although it does solve the problem of them fighting with the bass I don’t think its the best solution. Also I feel piano is a bit buried and needs more presence.

diegonerysts
I think the low end works well here and also the higher percussive elements. Good to hear the piano and flute. I think sometimes the vocal is being masked by other elements in the upper mids and needs more energy in this region to make it pop out more.

Beja
I like the sound of the piano. I think the vocal needs more energy in the 2 to 5 kHz region to help it cut through. I don’t mind the low drum sound in the 80 to 150 hz region although its quite different. Im not hearing enough of the bass.

Chistoph_k
The overall balance of this mix is OK however I think the reverb/ambiences especially in the low mid and mid area are making it a bit muddy. I think the low end is pretty good. I think percussive elements are overwhelming the more melodic piano and flute parts. Maybe the vocal could have a touch more presence in the 2 to 5 kHz region.

Ollio
Nice mix. Really enjoying the sub bass energy and the low drums.nice vocal sound. One issue is I would like to hear a bit more of the high frequency percussive elements I realise its a tricky balance between this and not having these elements mask the vocal.

Ronson79
I like the relatively dry sound of all the percussive elements although I think the piano actually needs a bit more ambience/ reverb added to it because some of those notes do sound a bit short without a bit of help from some kind of reverb processing. Also I think the vocal needs a bit more energy in the 2 to 5khz region just to help it cut through a bit more.

aalekso0
Although I think the low end here is pretty good I think there is not enough of the mid frequency attack element in the low end percussive sounds. Maybe the mids of the bass drum has been scooped out a bit too much. Also I feel the piano is a bit low in the mix.

coiled_ear
Nice overall balance however I think there’s too much reverb and it is making the mix a bit muddy. I like the reverb on the vocal but there’s just a bit too much of it. Id like to hear a bit more of the high end percussive elements.

patriktors.
Although the bass here is powerful I think its a bit too much and there’s really not a lot of clarity there. Also the mid range doesn’t really hold up when you listen to the mix on an auratone mid range speaker.

dnltpn
Nice mix. I like the overall balance. I think the vocal could have a bit more high frequency energy to help it cut through also I think more energy in the high percussive elements. I realise this it a tricky balancing act to not have the high percussion and vocal fighting each other . Ultimately the vocal should win but the higher frequency percussion really helps drive the track.

Ungifted
Really like the powerful bass drum sound and the phasing sound. I think a bit more bass would be good although it is of course always going to be a compromise with the drum. Its difficult to get this vocal to cut through and I feel it sometimes gets a bit buried.

A-Max
I think like a lot of the mixes I’m hearing the vocal on occasion get just a bit overwhelmed and maybe needs a bit more automation here and there.

AndyM
Really enjoyable listen. Nice balance. My only comment would be that I think the reverb on the vocal is quite nice I feel that it pushes the relative position of the vocal little too far back. That is to say I’d be great to hear vocal as if it were closer to the listener.

BOLOGNA57
Interesting mix. I like the panned claps but they sound just a little disconnected maybe the reverb on it. Also I think the piano needs to be louder in the mix.

Clueless
Nice bright mix. However I think the vocal sound is way to distant and is very overwhelmed by the other high frequency elements. I think too many delays and too much reverb is muddying the mix a bit.

David_Hernandez
Really nice balance and clarity in the low end. And punchy across the mids. My criticism would be that the vocal notes that sustain get a bit buried it would be great to hear some of these vocal tails automated up a bit.

Dodgingrain
Nice balance overall. Hard to critique too much really. I think the piano gets lost sometimes and the word dance coming into the didgeridoo part could be a bit louder as it starts.

Elroms
Solid mix. Nice low ends and high end also. Although I don’t mind the reverb on the vocal I feel it pushes the relative position of the vocal when compared to the music too far back into the distance. Also it would be great the hear the piano cut through a bit more especially between vocal phrases.

FrequencyPainter
Quite a different sound to the low end than what I am hearing in other mixes, I don’t mind it, quite punchy. I think maybe too much ambience/ reverb on some elements is muddying the mix through the mids.

Karlxvinten
Really like the balance of the piano in this mix. Solid low end. I think the vocal needs a bit of work to even it out dynamically. Maybe some automation and also aligning the doubled part .This is particularly noticeable because of the widely panned vocal which I’m not a big fan of

Kirurg
Nice mix. I think the piano could be a bit brighter to help it cut through. And although I like the sound of the percussive elements I think they overwhelm the more melodic elements.

Nimli
Like the different reverbs and sense of space. And the delay on the piano tail. Solid low end. I think the Lyric”dance leading into the didgeridoo could be louder.

Odistan
Punchy low end. I think the mix lacks a bit in the mid range. The piano could be a bit brighter and the vocal lacks a bit of presence in the higher frequencies. I realise its difficult balancing act not to have everything fighting in the upper mid range.

S&F
Very strong bass drum I think maybe a bit too much. Think maybe this needs more attention to getting the low mid region too work. The piano and vocal in the 150 to 500 hz region.

Tomimmon
Really emphasises the tribal beat elements of the song. However I think the percussive elements are over whelming the more melodic elements such as the piano and vocal. Perhaps the vocal needs a bit more automation.

UHLS
I think the bass elements are fighting each other bit. Maybe some more eq to separate the low drum and bass or maybe some side chain processing. I think the piano could be brighter although I realise this is a tricky balancing act in that busy upper mid region.

VasDim
The vocal and other elements seem to lack body in the low mids. I think the piano could be louder. Also the upper mids seem quite scooped out causing a lack of presence.

WhitePunkOD
Nice balance. I think the issue is that the very dry sound of some of the percussive elements especially the claps sound very close while the vocal sounds very distant. I like the reverb on the vocal its just not fitting with other elements.

alavault
Nice mix. I think a bit too much reverb is mudding the mix a bit maybe in the low mids particularly on some percussive elements Quite like the reverse vocal ambience bit.

bitpart
Good solid low end. And I like the delay on the piano. But the vocal needs to be a lot more present in the mix

domachado
I think this needs more attack and presence in the high mid region between 2 to 5 kHz. The piano is not cutting through enough and the vocal needs more presence and sparkle.

Jules666
Strong low end. I think this mix lacks high end attack and presence. The high percussive elements sound a bit muffled.

julio
This mix sounds heavily limited. It really sounds very congested. The piano is not loud enough and I think too much reverb.

maxovrdrive
Nice mix. Think the high frequency percussion elements could be louder. Punchy low end. The piano could be a bit more present.

Mix49248076
I think this has too much energy in 2 to 5khz region. Its a bit ear piercing. Im hearing some quite un-natural sounding pumping compression in the low end and I feel reverb in cluttering the mix a bit.

Gensabuncu
Very powerful bass but I think too much reverb is clouding the top end. I would probably reduce the bass a bit and take some reverb off the top end to increase clarity.

pabloAT
Nice clear mix. My criticsim would be that certain elements sound disconnected. For example the clap sounds like it is in a small room completely different to the rest of the track. The vocal sounds OK I like the reverb on it but it sounds a bit distant at certain points.

pemberley
I feel that this mix needs work in the mid range feels like too much of certain elements has been cut out of the low mid range where the warmth is. I think the piano and vocal are lacking body. Also I think the bass elements are fighting each other a bit.

canese
Solid mix. Like the low end however I feel that the vocal sounds way too distant. And the piano need to be more present.
Thanks For choosing My mix for Round 2
kirurg

Post by kirurg »

Hello everyone,

Thank you @RodA for choosing my mix for the round 2.

For brighter piano I've added a parallel EQ & compressed track.
Made some minor volume adjustments for percussions for
better glue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scscgd5x6ky8m ... 2.wav?dl=0
alavault

Post by alavault »

Hello,
First, thank you @RodA for choosing my mix for round 2 !
White Punk OD raised a good question : can we use the mix in our portfolios ? If so, how are we supposed to make it work while respecting copyright laws ?

The edit is not yet uploaded, but what has been done is :
  • More aggressive filtering on the reverb sends to reduce muddiness (?)
  • Changed pre-delay on medium verb (9ms->16ms, #PCM60)
  • MS EQ on the master bus, for muddiness hunting
  • Supplementary EQ on piano, because...reasons ?
  • Fixed some routing oddities with the flanger
  • Added a parallel stereo widener (on vox and keys). For science.
RodA

Post by RodA »

White Punk OD wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 18:10 CEST
Mister Fox wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 09:05 CEST
Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 77 - June 2021

You might have heard of this multi-track package before, since it was already showcased in 2015 through the Cambridge-MT Free Multi-Track Library repository (hosted by Mike Senior). However we have the added benefit of the songwriter being actively present, and him deciding on how the game further progresses. Without him and his interaction, this particular mixing challenge wouldn't exist.
@RodA, Mister Fox,
I have a question.

Thanks for keeping me for the next round!

I have posted the terms of use as they are stated on Cambridge-mt below. And as such as they apply here.
RodA

Post by RodA »

These are the terms of useage as stated on Cambridge-mt. If you need more information sent me a message.

The 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my mixes/masters of these multitrack projects as part of a portfolio to publicise my own mixing/mastering services?

That kind of usage is not permitted under the terms I agreed with the library contributors, so you’d have to contact the artist/producer in question directly to ask for permission. (There are contact URLs alongside almost all the library listings. Where no contact URL is provided, it’s because the contributor of that multitrack has chosen not to invite further contact, which therefore means you can’t use mixes of their work for your own commercial publicity purposes.) The artists and producers concerned are generally a very amenable bunch, so I’d personally expect most of them would be more than happy to give permission – after all, you’ll effectively be publicising their music for them.

Can I use these multitracks to produce video tutorials?

On the basis that such usage is educational, this shouldn’t be a problem, as long as the tutorial is entirely not-for-profit. However, if you’re charging anyone to view the tutorial, or if the tutorial itself is ‘monetized’ in any way (perhaps by including adverts or other promotional devices), then please contact the relevant multitrack contributors directly for permission.

Can I use these multitracks as part of a research project?

While I’m inclined to feel that this does fall within the general spirit of ‘educational use’, it hasn’t been specifically agreed with contributors to the library. So please contact the relevant contributors directly to agree proper terms of usage in this case, especially if your research is for commercial purposes.