2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
odistdan

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by odistdan »

Thank you for Choosing my mix for R2.

I removed few dips that I made in low mid frequencies and It definitely helped the mix.

I removed low mid cut from tom and boosted around 400 in pads (only mid channel) by 2 dB and I boosted side channel in strings around the same frequency around 3 db.
Helped me create more width and make mix sound a little big.

I worked on vocal presence by adding parallel track of high shimmer on vocals and blended it with automation.

With Keys for brightness I booted presence on saturn Itself by 1 db on high and mid Piano.

I made few other changes:

Increased the Volume of flute in solo section.

Processed the tribal chanting so it cuts through and removed side information completely from it as it was making things muddy.

Pads side-chained with drums.

Added gated reverb to the loud Piano part before Outro.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KalVWd ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 11-JUL-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.
Ollio

Post by Ollio »

Here's my revision: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqw162z24kig4 ... 2.wav?dl=0

I brought out the higher percussion with a bit of saturation, compression and just basic levels. I also brought the whole mix up a couple db since apparently my mix was a bit on the low side.

Thanks for choosing me and thanks Mister Fox for keeping it up!
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

Here is my R2 version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/100UpDn ... sp=sharing WAV 44.1k, -16.3 LUFS int. (9.5)
(You can get the 48k version too, because I run the project at that sample rate.)

Nice balance. I think the issue is that the very dry sound of some of the percussive elements especially the claps sound very close while the vocal sounds very distant. I like the reverb on the vocal its just not fitting with other elements.
Many thanks for picking me for R2, I'll try to adjust the space issues and improve.

To bring vocals to front:
- rebalance the mult components, improve the saturated "breathy" sound component,
- reduce "Nectar" reverb,
- add more pre-delay to the artificial long reverb impulse, automate it a little bit,
- add another "DeEdger" instance,
- add a particular sibilance track, that was extracted from the raw vocals, and then refined and automated onto the vocal,
- therefor applied much stricter settings to all the local de-essers.

Percussive elements, to put them a little bit into a distance:
- add the same reverb impulse to the claps, that was applied to the vocals, but a somewhat shorter version without the pre-delay,
- add also a bit of the orchestral reverbs to the claps,
- add room reverbs to the drums.

I still prefer a strong contrast between the artificial and growly sounds, and the organic rhythm section.

The didgeridoo was brought forward, to create its own solo part in the song.
Also in harmony to that, the growly, electronic sounds were reinforced a little bit.

The vocal finale got added a delayed clip copy, because of the gap in the last tone, plus a bit more of a slap delay.

I hope, the listeners can enjoy this, thanks to everyone.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 12th July 2021, 8:35 (UTC+2) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.
Apologies for not closing this sooner, I haven't been around last night.

STATISTICS
  • Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (if I am not mistaken, then @Nimii and @DeifDiamond)
  • We have no wild card uses to advance into the next round (see the explanation as to why in my last post)
  • We have no submissions after the deadline.

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for the final feedback and results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
RodA

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by RodA »

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for taking part in this mix challenge. Its been really interesting to hear so many different takes on our song.
I think the difference between the round 2 mixes is really a matter of taste and what appeals to me. Someone else might pick a different top four out of these ten finalists. Anyway with that being said here is my top 3.

Winner: Ollio
2nd: Elroms
3rd: Dodgingrain

AndyM a close fourth.

Round 2 comments:
AndyM
Changes have improved spacial issues. Nice mix

Dodgingrain
Really solid. Changes have cleaned up the vocal. Nice

Kirurg
Certainly I can hear more cohesiveness. And nice to hear a bit more edge on the piano.

alavault
Filtering on the reverb has really helped here. And the mix sounds clearer.

S&F
Overall much better balanced mix. Positions in space is much better and the vocal is noticeably smoother.

maxovrdrive
These changes have really added the life to this mix.

Odistan
Like the gated reverb on the piano part and the vocal presence is much improved.

Ollio
Really like the brighter percussion

White Punk OD
Much better overall cohesiveness.

Elroms
Reverb sounds better. I think the changes have achieved a good balance between vocal and piano.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!

The Winners Podium is
1) @Ollio
2) @elroms
3) @Dodgingrain

We perform with the usual - please select one license out of the pool (in order of the winners podium) and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.

See you on the flipside.
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC077 June 2021 - Winners announced

Post by White Punk OD »

Did no one take a plugin?
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I've just sent out a reminder via email.

If nobody responds within 5 days as of now, I guess there will be none of the winners that wants to use their chance to pick up a free license.
odistdan

Post by odistdan »

Thank You @RodA for your feedback.