2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
AndyM

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by AndyM »

Thanks for the feedback it was great to get so much detail. I've made the following changes.

- I've added a little more beef to the Toms
- added some body to the snare.
- Added parallel Compression to the HipHop Vox
- Automated the Crash's to reduce by 3 db on the Hits.
- Tightened up the Chorus Vox.
- Used Rear buss Parallel Mix Bus Compression

Thanks again and here's the link to the R2

https://signalflowau-my.sharepoint.com/ ... Q?e=NTWykf
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC078 July 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 15-AUG-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Los_ady »

@CeZar & @Mork Welcome to Round 2!!! Love your mix! Feedback will be in the Sheet :hail:
kirurg

Post by kirurg »

Hi,

Thank you @Los_ady, you've done huge work listening and giving feedbacks.
This is my version for Round 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4yoo1u43x15l ... 2.wav?dl=0

Initially the chorus felt a bit "empty" with no delay on vocals , but anyway, I turned the delay
volume less ,to almost inaudible level. With fresh ears feels ok. Hope you like it.
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

@Los_ady Thank you, man!
s&f

Post by s&f »

""Wow really punchy and cranked up snare, the toms are GREAT. Unfortunately vocals are burried behind the drums but overall it sounds full and can be fixed
Vocals up, Ayoubs vocals sound a bit thin, can you add some more ""voume"" to his vocals? Cool adLibs in verse 2 maybe lower the second voice a bit, it takes the
attention from the main vocals :) second chorus ayoub vocals is great - trumpets needs more low end, they are very ""Schrill"" - try to find the frequencies that emphasise the
tonal quality."

Hi Los Ady. I tried to adress all ur remarks.

Here's my version for R2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq3r9gris94vp ... 2.wav?dl=0

I also brightened a lot as I thought it was too mid heavy. I backed down a lot of mixbus, and I automated stuff in general.

also please note that I "mixed into" a limiter to get the limiting effect of "limiting everything at once".

to hear in the normal volume just add 8 dbs. my mix will probably sound worst at -16 LUFS, but it will probably have an advantage when hearing next to the original version level.

if u need more tweaks I would be happy to.

thank u and good luck to all R2!

Edit: I also forgot to comment about mp3. I always add a mp3 version because it's always handy to take it with u and play at the car. there are some phone apps that don't do well with WAVS. so, in my experience, it's always good to have a quick, small, and high quality mp3 to play elsewhere. but I am happy to abide by the rules and will not add mp3 again, unless required.
ciaranchrisoshea

Post by ciaranchrisoshea »

Hey @Los_ady !!!

Amazing news getting into R2 and thanks so much for the feedback.

Here's my Round 2 Entry: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qfD-Sv ... sp=sharing

I've tried to address some of the issues you brought up as below:

"the main vocals in the verse needs to be a bit louder and upfront"

- Main Vox brought up 1.5db and a little 1.5k added to bring them forward

"Currently the synths are louder and in the front!"

- Synth pushed back a couple Db and a little 1.5 removed to make space for vocals

"Ayoubs vocals needs to be way louder as well."

- Ayoubs vocal pushed about 2 - 2.5 Db in the choruses to bring forward

"The snare could have some more bod like 200Hz, now it's very SSL Style snappy in the top end and it takes the attention form the main vocals"

- I added about 3Db of 200Hz in the snare for body and reduced the 7k area around 2Db to make sure it was not fighting with anything in the mix

"Kick could have some more oomph and low end and presence to drive the track!"

- I added a Pultec to the Kick track and pushed some 60Hz for more oomph and added a little 2.5k also for more presence in the kick

Again thanks for this amazing opportunity and good luck to everyone in R2!!!

Ciarán
CeZar

Post by CeZar »

Hi again and thank you for welcoming me to Round 2!

Mix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wk0ra0jcd1mh ... 2.wav?dl=0

So, the biggest difference right now is that I've upgraded from a i7 8700 to a i9 9900k, which gave me a lot more space to do stuff.

First, I'll start with your remarks regarding the guitar fighting the vocals and the solo guitar at the end, I've automated this.
But after I listened to the mix, I thought: yeah, it's a good sketch, now let's do it properly.

So, I've seen some debate here regarding the risers and to get creative about it, so what I did is I did a short riser in the middle of verse 1, where the drums stop, that was done by reversing the hi-hat hit and worked some magic with a bit of shimmer reverb and a filter, nothing fancy. The second riser was done at chorus 3, by reversing the chorus vox and adding a good amount of verb and eq. This was is a bit more obvious. I didn't know that I could do that in R1, but after listening to a few good mixes around here I figured "why not?", in essence I'm a songwriter-producer, so why not play a bit?

After this I added a throw delay to the chorus vocalist for chorus 2 and 3, just to fill the sonic gap at the beginning of the choruses.

I finally fixed my analog Gyraf SSL Bus Compressor, so I replaced The Glue with it on the mix bus, the threshold connections were de-soldered and it was over-compressing all the time, I had no control over it. This was done just for taste, I think I did .5db @ Ratio 2, Attack 30, Release .1, the needle was barely moving.

Next, I equalised the reverbs, so it doesn't mask the mix and the vocals, I did some final eq's on the busses to prevent masking between elements over there too, I panned the rythm guitar and the keys 50L-R, they were originally at 40L-R, which gave me a bit more stereo field.

I added some shimmer delay to the keys and sidechained the delay with the source, that helped me get a bit more of a pad-like tail, but nothing too obvious, I'm trying to create depth here, not to re-produce the song.

I tweaked a bit on my Soothe 2 instances, and tried to tidy things up, including some small volume changes and all.

All in all, I think I've improved the original track that I've submitted.

Mix Specs: -3.72 dbTP, -17.9 Lufs Integrated, -15.7 Short Term

Good Luck to everyone in R2!

Feedback is always appreciated,

Cezar Habeanu
UHLS

Post by UHLS »

hello people, thanks for taking part in round 2. I'm currently until 08/18. on vacation and can therefore no longer take part in the contest. I wish the best of luck to other participants, see you next time, UHLS
GUSWIS

Post by GUSWIS »

Hello
Taking into consideration the suggested corrections I was able to balance the mix.
Especially the thing mentioned about the 350Hz frequencies (I was surprised by Mr. Fox's good hearing, thanks).
This is my mix for round 2.
Greetings

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7qjl0eejzyh2 ... 2.wav?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

You mean Los_ady's hearing

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.