2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
rafael1983

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Submissions until 21-08-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by rafael1983 »

Hello everyone!!
Here my Mix.
Thank you in advance for your attention.
Greetings and good luck to everyone.
_Rafael Umbelino

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qjC8D- ... sp=sharing

Here are the daw and the plugins I used:
>>> Reaper Daw

- Reatune in all voices and the solo guitar, just in case...

In all voices:
- Izotope Nectar 3 Plus (Gate, Eq, DeEsser)
- Waves RVox Comp
- Arturia free Chorus Juno
- Izotope free Vocal Doubler

In all Guitars:
- Izotope Neutron Eq
- Waves Renaissance Axx
(ReaGate just in solo Guitar)

Synth:
- Izotope Neutron Eq
- Waves Renaissance Axx
- Waves H-Delay

Bass:
- Izotope Neutron Eq
- Waves RBass
- another Izotope Neutron Eq

In all Percussions:
- Izotope Neutron Eq
- Waves RBass
- another Izotope Neutron Eq
(- Izotope PhoenixVerb in Cymbal)

In all Buses: (Percussion, Bass, Synth, All Guitars, Backing Vocals, Lead Vocal)
(- Plugin Alliance Maag EQ2, just in solo guitar and Backing Vocals buses, for add some Air)
(- Waves Renaissance Axx, just in Guitars Bus)
- Izotope free Ozone Imager
- Waves C4 Stereo
- Waves NLS
- (A FX Send for a Waves RVerb Bus, one for each Buses)

In Submix Bus:
- Waves NLS Buss (Nevo Mode, -> Simulation of a Neve summing console)
- Analog Obsession Britpressor (-> Neve Bus Compression)
- Waves API-560 (Parametric Eq)
- Plugin Alliance Lindell 7X-500
- Softube Tape

In Main Bus:
- Soundspot Velo 2 to level the song to -18 LUFS (Ceiling in -1.0 DBFS)
kirurg

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Submissions until 21-08-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by kirurg »

Hi everyone,

Thank you @javiramallo for providing the song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzy6ibdhmhp78 ... g.wav?dl=0

Here are the things to mention. Most processed ones are the fx tracks
(beep, droplet and "aaahh" back vocals), these got a long tail reverb and delays added.
All acoustic guitars belong to one group, little amount of room ambience fx added.
Same thing to the vocals as well. Added a small amount of compression and boosted
high shelf eq to the guitars group and the vocals group. Some volume automation
for back vocals and the synth. Some precise and transparent tune was made for the vocals.
Having a hybrid mixing setup ,there are couple hardware
devices on the master bus - a pultec style eq high shelf and ssl type compressor
(as parallel, wet about 70%).
This time cannot describe more.
JamesMusic

Post by JamesMusic »

Great song and fun to mix, thanks for sharing!

Here is my entry - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_l1PIK ... sp=sharing

--Process--
Vocals -
Subtle tuning, EQ boost to top end and high pass, gentle compression (upward and downward), some saturaton, a little reverb, stronger reverb on BVs, and then spread the various parts accross the stereo field.

Guitars -
Main rhythm pair - EQ different to L and R to give more width and also gentle compression, panned 100%.
The two overdub guitars have use convolution reverbs to give them a distinct character. Also one uses an enhnacer for some extra bite, the other has additional reverb. Both use Hi pass EQ and gentle compression

Beeps and Plops have a dotted 16th delay.
The synth part has reverb and delay to give a more evolving stereo interest
Shaker L and R EQ'd differently to make it sound like two different shakers, and panned 100% left and right.
Bass has a cab emulation for more thickness.
Kick and snare are separated, have given more low end and attack to Kick and given more attack and reverb to snare.

I have shifted a couple of parts earlier or later to get timing a little tighter, but largely have left as originally intended.

On master fader I have used some subtle glue compression, only a db or so attenuation, a high pass at 18Hz and a limiter to make sure I don't overshoot -1dB TP.
JamesMusic AKA Red Shift Mastering
redshiftmastering.com
Bologna57

Post by Bologna57 »

Thank you for sharing this romantic and very interesting song.

In the mix I have been guided by the spirit of the song and the sweetness with which it was sung: practically a serenade. For me - as a native Italian speaker - it was easy to understand the meaning of the Spanish text, which is much more profound, delicate and romantic than what emerges from the English translation.

Unfortunately in the recording there are imperfections, expecially in the guitar parts and in the beautiful harmonizations of the voices. I chose not to intervene, to maintain the freshness and spontaneity of the execution.

I have eliminated some instrumential parts; in my opinion them did not add value to the song that I like in this essential capacity: so goodbye percussion, claps, some guitar parts. A sober setting has been maintained enriched by some echoes and a rich spatiality.

The only significant intervention was made on the synth which has been reworked with a whawha and echo to add spatiality and incisiveness.

The introduction and the ending have been kept really essential to highlight the meaning of the text.
I hope the author appreciates.

The mix is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tVzPYN ... sp=sharing

Have a nice evening.
G.

Grazie per aver condiviso questo brano romantico ed assai interessante.

Nel mix mi ha guidato lo spirito del brano e il garbo con cui è stato cantato: praticamente una serenata. Per me che sono di madre lingua italiana è stato facile capire il senso del testo cantato in spagnolo, che è assai più profondo, delicato e romantico di quanto emerge dalla traduzione in inglese.

Purtroppo nella registrazione ci sono imperfezioni che emergono, sia nelle parti di chitarra che nelle belle armonizzazioni delle voci. Ho scelto di non intervenire, per mantenere la freschezza e la spontaneità del brano.

Sono state eliminate molte parti strumentali che a mio avviso non aggiungevano valore al brano che a me è piaciuto in questa veste essenziale: quindi addio percussioni, claps, alcune parti di chitarra. E' stato mantenuta una ambientazione sobria arricchita da alcuni echoes e una ricca spazialità.

Unico intervento significativo è stato fatto sul synth che è stato rielaborato con un whawha e dell'echo per avere maggiore spazialità ed incisività.

L'introduzione ed il finale sono stati mantenuti essenziali per evidenziare il significato del testo.
Spero che l'autore apprezzi.
daveyjnz

Post by daveyjnz »

Here's my take on this project.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ylduQ ... sp=sharing

Drums/Perc:
Compression, EQ and saturation on individual tracks and the bus. Shakers are bussed and only processed on the bus.

Bass:
Just Compression, EQ and saturation. Sidechain with the kick element

Synth:
EQ and reverb

Guitars:
High and low pass on each individual guitar and some regular EQ. Saturation and compression on the bus

Vocals:
There's a lot going on here. Besides the normal compression, EQ and saturation. There's also the Pultech Sandwich Trick and an exciter. And not to forget to mention subtractive EQ as first processor in the chain.

Last but not least.
This is an in the box mix and I'm using stuff that's available to everybody. So no DSP accelerated plugins.
Last edited by daveyjnz on Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:17 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Gloo

Post by Gloo »

Hi to all!

Nothing special in processing of the song,
eq, compression, saturation, reverb, on the vocals de-esser, delay and fx on start and end of the song.
Bus channels bit of compression and bus compression on the master channel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atcwxi4brgrci ... o.wav?dl=0
Vanilla Puff

Post by Vanilla Puff »

After listening to the original mix and some reference tracks given by Mister Fox, I decided to make it a bit brighter, while keeping some of that intimate feeling. Next thought was to bring some "dreamy" quality, because it is a love song and thought it would fit here perfectly.
I opted out from using pitch and timing correction, worked with files as given. Didn't split the perc track to separate ones. In my opinion it sounds good as it is.
Drums group - slight EQ
Perc track - Transient Shaper, saturation, band split, room reverb on high frequencies, leaving lows untouched.
Claps - paning, gentle EQ.
Shakers - Low cut EQ, transient shaper, to make it more accented, shaping EQ to bring highs more.
Nothing on cymbals and little drum, goes to reverb send.
Lead vocal - EQ, gentle de-essing. Reverb Send.
Backing vocals - EQ, gentle compression to bring coherency back, slight sidechain ducking Lead vocal to make it more present and forward. Reverb send.
Bass - Gate (removing noise), Dynamic EQ bringing low end, Multiband dynamics for low end control, EQ to place it in the back. Sidechain from perc track.
Guitar group - Transient shaper, EQ, gentle Sidechain. Reverb Send.
Synth - saturation, gentle cut on high frequencies.
Guitars and Vocals go to a bus with slow compression and and EQ to glue them a bit, that brings out that dreamy quality I talked about earlier.
FX - Delay, Reverb.
Reverb send - Reverb, Sidechain ducking input. That makes whole track more in front.

-3.2 dB TP max
-18.2 LUFS Integrated
44kHz, 24bit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EvoWcV ... sp=sharing
s&f

Post by s&f »

Hi javiramallo, thank u for another challenge.

Here's my submission:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dprov8vwk4e8o ... F.wav?dl=0

I really enjoyed the song, and ur vocal delivery.

Here's what I did:
disclaimer - I didn't use any reference besides ronson79 mix, as I loved his mix. really cool mix. but I didn't copy it, I just referenced.

FX-
synth - Brauer motion - a little automation
others - stereo delay

guitar - the guitars' take had a lot of trouble. as they were doubles, there was a lot of phase cancelation. I quantized them in arpeggio, guiar support, and rhythm guitar 1/16. multi band compression on low end to avoid phase cancellation on Spanish.
MV2 + automation + multiband compression

drums nothing special

bass - quantized 1/8. lots of compression

claps - quantized 1/16. doubled them with tape delay, doubler on bus.

shaker nothing special

BV - it reminded me of "I'm not in love", so I tried to use a similar effect. I did it by doubling and using waves vocal tune in one side, and vocal synth in another side.

BV LV SPT- waves tune just a little bit + MV2

LV - I thought about quantizing and adjusting, but I thought it was really cool as it's. I also let some phrases a little louder than they should be, I think it fits the song. I loved it.
lots of small compression RCompressor, MV2, smasher, multi band etc.

I did use HW on mixbus, so, in case I go to 2nd round, I'm not sure if I can match the exact mix, but it helped so much that I had to use it hehe.

thank u for the song.
loger

Post by loger »

Like i said no body talk in this forum, only post until the 2nd round.
So i'll try to make the first step:
how do you find this mix? the song is cool but i don't remember if i struggle, there are a few tracks it was easy i think.
Do you mix it once or make several versions before you're happy? Me i think i make 2 or3 version before
how long did you spend on this mix? A couple of hours
I hope to restore life in the forum!! :hyper: (lol i'm new) :lol:
Or may be it's the "RULE" that prevents us to discuss with each other lol, English is not my native language, lazy to read the rules once again lol

And once again don't take it personnaly i'm a cool guy who passionate about music production nothing more.
Just want to talk music with people.
Good luck!!!
diegoneryproducoes

Post by diegoneryproducoes »

I feel the need to tune the vocals. Will I be penalized?