2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation (staff taking over)

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
dadomachado

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 20-OCT-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

I'm really happy to have made it into round 2 ! Follows my revised mix below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wDckdM ... sp=sharing

I just made the changes suggest in the feedback from @Square

- Lowered the piano
- Raised the string and worked on the balance with the piano
- Tamed the low mids on the Prizz

Good luck to all round 2 participants !

Cheers,
dadomachado
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 20-OCT-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2
violintch02
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by violintch02 »

Hi everyone,

Thank you @Square for selecting my mix to the second round.
I'm thankful for the "wildcard" as I completely missed my incorrect render settings in round one. I think I have that fixed now. I hope.

I made a few edits based on comments, in particular:
-Balancing strings a bit more (too bass heavy near end, too much of lead violin near beginning)
-Eliminated the minimal delay I had on the pizzicato parts. It didn't have the effect I thought it would have in the first mix.
-Tried to un-bury the vocal, (modification of reverb settings) and compensate for the "separation" heard in the prior mix. Attempted to keep it "intimate" and clear.
-Modified string and piano pan settings to help piano shine a bit more in places.

I hope you enjoy this updated mix. Thanks again!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h5Eu-u ... sp=sharing
unclesnuggles

Post by unclesnuggles »

Hello everyone, very happy to be part of round 2!

Here is my version 2.
I modified my reverb on the voice by trying to make it more intimate, I applied sidechain compression after my reverb, I use the Tsar from Softube.
The piano has also been retouched, to make it a little more present. At the very end of the chain, I applied a Pultec.
good listening!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bAURsI ... sp=sharing
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

Feedback from @Square indicated two problem areas: saturation on the vocals and a "ghosting" effect. Corrected the saturation issue and looked for possible tracks that could have caused the "ghosting" effect. The only probable culprit was the delay on the piano... eliminated that.

Here's my round 2 mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19lh2e6 ... sp=sharing

BTW, thank you for the compliment regarding the intimacy of the strings. I also appreciate you noticing and commenting on how the dynamics progressed and moved forward.
elroms

Post by elroms »

Hey! Here is my new mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13zBVwK ... sp=sharing

I desactivated the pitch correction, and lowered just a bit the reverb with the fader. Then, given that it was a long reverb, I applied a side chain compressor which gets triggered by the voice track, so that the echo remains but the reverb does not disminuish the clarity of the voice.
Although it was not in the feedback I just added a small DeEsser.

I applied clean tube saturation on the strings so that it would fit a bit better in the mix. I also turned them up by 2dB from 1:47 to 2:22. Also I had mid dynamic EQ sent in sidechain to the strings from the voice, which I lowered a little so that we can hear the strings better.

Finally, I lowered the piano volume by 1dB.

I hope you like this second version!
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hi,

here's my revised mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZQ3qy ... sp=sharing

When I came back to the first mix, I felt that there was a congestion in the high midrange. I tweaked the mixbus and gave the piano a little more dimension to seperate it better from that congestion range and make it stand out more natural.
My task for round 2 was to add some FX, which was difficult for me. Most of the work went into presenting and preserving the delicacy and unstableness, and in no way should any FX swoosh distract from that! But the client is king, and I managed to sneak in two SUBTLE delay throws, which I absolutely love :)

Sorry for wrong samplerate in the first mix. Apparently Pro Tools always bounces with the previous setting instead of session SR. What a nice way of screwing up late night bounces... Thank you Avid

Edit: Forgot to mention: Thanks for letting us have fun with your music. Hope you enjoy the mix :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 21st October 2021, 02:48 (UTC+2) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

STATISTICS
  • Sadly, not everyone has sent in an edit (those being @anthonyw, @Frequency Painter, @ManuC and @MattP -- did you get the Reminder Newsletter?)
  • We have two Wild Card uses to advance into the next round (@Mork and @violintch02)
  • We have two participants that decided on not to advance through the use of a Wild Card (@ManuC and @MattP)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline

Please check your upload links again (I could download all files), and have an eye on this thread for more feedback and a possible Mix Round 3, or an announcement of the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. :tu:

See you on the flipside.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

A short update on the status of MC080:

I tried to reach out to the song provider several times. I sadly did not get any response so far. If there is no further life-sign from our "client" by Friday, 03rd December, I will step in and close out MC080 by 06th December. Unfortunately, there will be no in-depth feedback in this case.

Apologies for the inconvenience and waiting time.