2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
salvadorcassis

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by salvadorcassis »

@Zavier Night
Interesting, unique.
I liked the creativity input. You did a bold statement with the tone of the guitars and fx automation. Well done!
Sometimes the vocals get lost in the mix, that’s something to address.

@Alanvaldez
I loved the creative input, kudos for the tape stop. I loved the fact that I can hear the bass harmonic in the section change. Nice bass tone. Vocals are a little bit too far away and unintelligible. Maybe it’s lacking some kick too.

@Alexvanmixland
I LOVED how you treated the vocals. Well done! David’s guitar tone feels a little bit too harsh for me. Maybe the snare is too present in the last sections.

@CheekyChippies
I like the nice chill vibe you gave to it.
Nice sound during the climax.
Maybe the bass is sounding too heavy.

@Cristoph_K
Really nice pleasant sound in the first section, nice guitar tones, maybe too much reverb on the vocals. Kudos for the bass harmonic! It would be great to hear more punch from the kick.

@cpsmusic
Oddly enough, the vocals are offset. But that’s easy to fix. It was crazy hard for me to listen to, let me tell you. But I liked the sound overall, really intelligible, I dig it. I would love to hear a little bit more punch from the kick.

@Doobop
I liked the relaxed and darker sound you gave to it. Maybe a little bit muddy.
Kudos for the fade-out.

@Ein Stuck
Interesting guitar tones! I miss the drums, I feel it’s lacking punch, especially in the first section, which is very tom-centered. I think the vocals are too loud during certain sections, and guitars are too loud in other sections. Maybe that would be something to address.

@JamesMusic
Congratulations!! I think THIS mix really nailed the intention of the song: different sections with different vibes. I loved the vocals during the climax of the song. I loved how you used fx automation to achieve contrast between sections, and the sound you gave to each section is nice too. Well done! The only thing I would keep tweaking is vocal effects automation, maybe trying to make it more subtle in certain sections (before the climax).

@m_tree
I liked your mix overall.
I loved the definition of the bass in the first section. Then, when the band comes in, the bass starts to feel not so pretty, and it’s not your fault, that’s a problem of the bass track itself. It’s kinda inevitable. Nevertheless, that’s one thing that you should try to fix somehow.

@odistdan
Interesting tone for Cindy’s guitar. I miss the punch of the drums, especially in the first section. It would be great to hear more fx automation. Don’t fear exaggerating.

@S&F
I liked the mix overall. Maybe the guitar delay is a little bit too much. Nice idea tho. Maybe cutting more of the lows?

@SuC76
Nice levels in the first section! Same as @m_tree, the bass would be something to work on. Or maybe the kick-bass relationship.

@LCM!
It has a nice chill vibe to it. I liked it. I would control more the dynamics of the vocals.

@MellowBrowne
Interesting sound, dirty, sometimes distorted but always interesting, I liked it. The outro feels a little bit too vigorous for my taste, when the section’s mood is more relaxed.

Congratulations to everyone, you all did a great job!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 16-NOV-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for handling the evaluation, @salvadorcassis.

Ladies and gentlemen, let us kick off Mix Round 2, which will end on Tuesday, 16-NOV-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

As of this moment, that is just about 5 days (plus the hours since @salvadorcassis's announcement). All Mix Round 2 participants will be sent a reminder via mail shortly.

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN available to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

The following 15 participants go into Round 2 (alphabetical order), with "wild-cards" being pointed out (if present this month).
(all Mix Round 2 participants should have been pinged)

@alanvaldez
@Alex Van mixland
@CheekyChippies
@Christoph_K
@cpsmusic
@doobop
@Ein Stuck
@JamesMusic
@LCM!
@m_tree
@Mellow Browne
@odistdan
@s&f
@SuC76
@Zavier Night
 ! Bonus Info
Please read more about the "wild card" game mechanic here
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=452

The feedback to the productions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=11815#p11815

If you are unsure what to do exactly with your mix, reach out to the song provider and engage in a conversation here on the forum.
And please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
s&f

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 16-NOV-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by s&f »

thank u for selecting me for the next round. will try to improve my mix.

JamesMusic 's mix really stands out from the selected ones. great job
doobop

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 16-NOV-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by doobop »

Hi !

After I listen it again yes I think too that my first mix was muddy. So I did some changes to the EQs of the instruments.
I didn’t just put an EQ to the master channel and bring the highs, I wanted to be a better mix with more clarity of the instruments with the same dark sound.

Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/16s5z55pl4jhn ... 2.wav?dl=0

Good luck to all !!
Doobop
SuC76

Post by SuC76 »

Thank you @salvadorcassis for R2.
Greetings to Mix Challenge, Mister Fox and all who sent their mixes.

I'll try to create little "pocket" for Kick and Bass guitar to fit together.
I also added some 2.5k tops on bass and 4k on kick.

Hope you like it.

Thanks.

Bye.

Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ju8iY4 ... sp=sharing
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

Thanks for letting me participate in round two. Here’s my R2 mix: more punch in the kick, less reverb on the vocals.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ea1hcusaq3fkw ... 2.wav?dl=0

Cheers
Chris
LCM!

Post by LCM! »

Great to have the chance to be here again. An honour.
I did some automation tweaks on the vocal track and put a diferent compressor in each part of the song. Aware that it is not a massive difference but I hope it works enough.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1En7mLn ... sp=sharing

Saludos.
JamesMusic

Post by JamesMusic »

Thanks @salvadorcassis for including me in the final 15!

And thanks @s&f for your kind comment too! The vocals in your mix are beautifully treated.

Here is a link to my revision - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7Jgdl ... sp=sharing

- I have made some of the vocal effects a bit more subtle during the early stages of the song as you suggest.
- I also noticed your praise to a couple of the other entries on the clarity of bass harmonics, so have given these more prominence this time round too.

Look forward to listening to all the other R2s.

Cheers,
James
JamesMusic AKA Red Shift Mastering
redshiftmastering.com
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

Thanks for choosing my mix for round 2!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unkj9jqh4jee6 ... 2.wav?dl=0

Drums:
Brought up the intro and outro (with the cymbals only) 2dB each. Respectively removed my compensation of the missing gainreduction of the compressor.
Changed settings of the drumbus compressor a bit (more aggressive) and reduced the treble-boost of the 2nd EQ a bit.

Bass:
Complete remix with an emulated Ampeg amp, 15 inch cab with a Neumann U87 in front of it. Just boosted some treble there. Again slight limiting, followed by compression with the SSL 4000E channelstrip - but with 5:1 and 100ms release instead. Boosted some low-end with 'waves LoAir' again, little bit different. I replaced the softclipping with subtle 3rd order distortion. With my final EQ I cutted at 300-400 Hz and boosted at 1,8 kHz.
Changed volume automation a bit.

Masterbus:
Finally I added a bus-compression followed by a mastertape emulation. It's the Vertigo VSC-2 (a high-quality SSL Bus Comp. clone): 4:1, 10ms attack, auto release, no sidechain.
Activated my bypassed post-fx volume-automation of the masterbus ...

Cheers!
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

Thanks @salvadorcassis for picking my mix for the next round.

First thing I noticed you seem to like that harmonic bass tone, so i switched the bass amp from ultra lo to ultra hi setting. I tried to get a cleaner, more polished sound overall and I wanted the delay and reverb and the other fx to be more audible. So this is what I did for Round 2:

-some gain adjustments to reduce the drive in some sections

-lowering volume of outro section for a more relaxed vibe

-more reverb and delay on vox + altering fx automation guitars and vox

-compression + eq fixes on guitars > more room for vocals

-adjustment of send level to NYC Comp + eq/comp fix on kick and snare

-taming highs on drum room track

-eq + comp fixes to give vox more presence and clarity

-adjustment on oxide tape for a cleaner sound

And here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CWPbI ... sp=sharing

Really good mixes here so far.

Cheers!