2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
LCM!

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Submissions until 21-10-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by LCM! »

First of all, many thanks to the people who make the Challenge possible.

This is my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19spFFf ... sp=sharing

Some features:
Master. A limiter, eq and comp (threshold automation)
Each group (drum, bass, guitars and voice) has its parallel comp, reverb and (the latter) delay.
Drums. A sub generator (tone gen) to get a bigger kick (I hope it is whithin the rules).
Bass. Reamp.
Guitars. Wider in pressence of the voice.
Voice. Tuned.

Reaper stock pluggins.
-1.1 dBTP
-16.4 LUFS-I
Michael_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Submissions until 21-10-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Michael_K »

New to the group.
Very fun track!
Here's my mix:

https://we.tl/t-piiYopeS6B

-1dbfs, no limiter

Cheers to all!
Ozgen Sabuncu

Post by Ozgen Sabuncu »

Hi. I kept the dryness of the released version and tried to every detail of the song to be heard as much as i can.

Drums:

Drum bus: Pro-q, Magnetic 2, pro mb, fresh air

kick: Arturia pre 1973 izotope trash

Snare: Pro mb, R bass lindell 80 channel

Overheads: Pro mb Waves inphase, lindell 8o channel

Drum room:Bx stereo maker, pro-q, acme opticom

Bass: AMplitube 5, pro-q, gem mod

Guitar Cindy: Amplitube 5, plexitape, pre 1973

Guitar David: Torpedo WOS, cla3a, plexitape

Vox: Pro q, waves debreath, analog obsession YALA, pre1973

Vox doubler: izotope trash, pro-q

Vox fx: plexitape delay, abbey road plate, valhalla delay

MIXBUS:

Bx digital v3, pro -q, Magnetic 2, pro-c2, fresh air, pulsetec Eq's NOMAD, shadow hills class a.

My link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fuxC6i ... sp=sharing
LowlandsWave

Post by LowlandsWave »

What a nice song to work on! Thanks for sharing and for making the mix challenge possible.

Here's my mix: MC081_PorMientras_Sable_LowlandsWave

The bass line is very nice and I wanted the bass to be very present and sometimes step froward.

The clean sound on the guitars could use a bit more presence and a little more grid. In the distorted part in Davids guitar added quite some extra gain (Diesel type high gain amp). For the change on the guitar sound I used a "re-amped" track for both guitars and blended that with the original. I used Line6 Helix for that.

On all tracks basic eq, not to much really
Drum, vocals and guitar added some reverb

Vocals were very dynamic, tamed that a bit with automation, dynamic eq (around 4k) and compression, but stil enough dynamic range there to make Cindy "explode at the end"

Used a compressed version of the drums room track to spice up the drums in the busier parts.

Used SSL 4000 G channelstrips and added SSL compressor on master bus
dadomachado

Post by dadomachado »

Hi All,

Follows my mix for this months song:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lp7LuJ ... sp=sharing

I went with Slate Digital's VMR on all tracks using the Brit N emulation.

Drums

Kick - EQ and Compression using VMR / Transient Shaper / MV2 / Passive EQ and RBass
Snare - Basic EQ with VMR and MV2
HiHat - Just some EQ with VMR
Toms and Overheads - EQ with VMR
Room - Used Soundtoys Devil-Loc for some heavy compression/distortion and the some EQ moves. Blended that into the drum sound

Sent some elements (Snare and Toms) to a plate reverb and some other traks (Kick, Snare, Toms) to a paralel compression (VMR FG-Stress)

Bass

Duplicated the track to treat the low end differently (HP/LP)
Applied some compression on the Low and and some distortion (PSA1000) on the high one

Guitars

Just EQ, saturation and widening plugin to make them more present
Sent the guitars into a Hall Verb and some spread (Overloud Gem)

Lead VOX

EQ / Deeser / two stages of compression (CLA-76 and Puigchild) another light deeser and the an passive EQ to bring back the top end
Sent the Lead Vox to a Slap, Room and Plate reverbs. Also sent it to two different delays (1/4 and 1/8). They delay got a little wider with Waves S1

Master Buss

VMR with the Brit N emulation / Small EQ moves with (BX_2098) / SSL Compression and tape (Waves J37)

I hope you all like my take and look forward to some feedback from you all.

Cheers,
dadomachado
jules666

Post by jules666 »

Hi All,

Here is the link to my attempt on this months track:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DiqSQa ... sp=sharing

Kick: Gated, then added some EQ and light compression, then a clipper.

Snare: Gated then sent to Snare Bus
Snare Bottom: Flipped Phase and gated then sent to Snare Bus
SNARE BUS: Some EQ, then into a Waves J37 for some subtle saturation, then used Waves Trans-X to bring up some of the attack around 200 and also in the uper mids/highs. This then when into a limiter to keep any rogue peaks down.

Snare Verb AUX: Sent snares here to add a basic reverb.

TOMS: Gated both toms and just used some basic EQ and compression and a limiter.
TOM VERB AUX: Toms fed to a Softtube TSAR-1R reverb with a low pass at around 3k, and added Sondtoys little microshift on at the end as well.

All shells above went to a SHELL BUS: where I high passed from around 35Hz and low passed around 11k. Then into a compressor and followed by a limiter.
---

OH's: EQ which was high passing around 1k, some subtle saturation (Elysia Karacter) and some compression (Red 3).
Hi Hat: Similar to OH, but the high pass was around 800Hz
Room:little eq, saturation and a clipper.

These then went into a BUS which had black box on it to give it some warmth, and also added a little compression.

ALL DRUMS were then sent to an "ALL DRUM BUS" with again subtle compression before a final limiter.
Parallel compression on drums.

GTR: David: Panned Left 100% and Cindy: Panned Right 100%
Both guitars just had: EQ/saturation/compression/expander/limiter
Then went into a GTR Bus: which had some multiband compression (Waves C4) and Sound Toys Microshift (about 20% wet).
I then used the following parallel busses:
Flanger
GTR Doubler: ADT2V to try and make the guitars sound double tracked.
GTR Verb: Pheonix verb used to just give a little reverb on the guitars.

BASS: re-amp into a Gallien Kruger (plugin alliance), to add more depth, further EQ and heavy compression before going into a limiter. Track was also sent to another bus where some heavy saturation was added and blended in with the original sound.

VOX:
Desser then used Waves vocal rider to get a more conistent level before compression was used. Sent to another BUS where the Pultec/LA2/Pultec trick was used. These two tracks then went to a master VOX bus where I applied a little more compression and also a limiter.

Vocals were also sent in small amounts to the following Parralel buses:
Doubler: Used Echoboy to generate a small delay and pushed this Left/Right to try and fatten the vox out.
Chorus: Gem Mod.
Delay Lofi: Waves H-Dealy for a quick lofi slap back delay
Plate: CLA Epic for some plate verb
Delay 2: Echoboy doing a single echo
Saturation: Elysia Karacter saturation
PitchShifter: Octave down mixed in low.

Used Rear bus technique with just Vox/GTR/BASS going in and blended in to taste.
Master: Subtle EQ rolling off everything below 34HZ and above 18K, Townhouse SSL compression with Side chained at 80HZ doing 1 db of reduction then into a Waves JS37 to add some warmth, then another compressor (1176) again just doing another 1 db of reduction.

Some volume automation also used on various tracks.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.

Please keep the Rules and Guidelines (post #6) in mind regarding submitting your entry.
s&f

Post by s&f »

hi, thank u very much for this challenge.

I actually don't like this kind of music, it's just too difficult to me to appreciate this style.

However, it was a really big surprise that I was able to mix it very objectively and fast.

and I really liked the result, which was somethings that I was not expecting. as the style was so different from what I am used to, I could focus a whole lot more (and could learn the sensation of that kind of "focus" in mixing, a first for me for several years). so, thank u very much for this challenge, it was really a unique experience in my life.

Guitars - used logic amp sim, the Vox style amp. the delay idea was because I was checking with the original mix, and there was a slight delay, which I thought it worked, so I kept for the entire music. I ducked when playing.

drums - inverted phase from everything but the kick. I used HW compressor for the kick and snare. used the room for reverb with eventide SP2016.

bass - used the PA free Ampeg and hw compressor.

vocal - eq heavily 3-4 and 7K. used HW compressor. Reverb Arturia free plate, and SP 2016.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtsbthz5mdolr ... F.wav?dl=0

thank u very much!
mattaroni_and_cheese

Post by mattaroni_and_cheese »

quick heads up, the link is redirecting to a sign up page for me, may want to double check permissions.
Michael_K wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 21:15 CEST
New to the group.
Very fun track!
Here's my mix:

https://we.tl/t-piiYopeS6B

-1dbfs, no limiter

Cheers to all!
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi Everyone,

Here's my entry for Mix Challenge 081.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zhczC1 ... sp=sharing

Thanks to the song provider and to the contest organisers.

The overall approach I took was to subtly pre-process the raw tracks with my hardware tracking gear and then finish off the mix "in the box".

The first thing I did was go through all the raw tracks and manually reduce any excessively loud moments (e.g. cymbal hits, breaths, etc.)

After that, the individual tracks were processed as follows:

Vocal: Aphex Compellor -> Warm Audio WA273-EQ (HPF@160, Small Boost @ 200, Small Cut @ 700, Small Boost @ 10K) -> MAutoVolume -> SPL TwinTube -> TR5 Tape 24

Bass: Aphex Compellor -> Warm Audio WA273-EQ (HPF@50, Small Boost @ 60 + @ 360) -> DBX162SL 2dB Peak Reduction -> Softube Tape -> TwinTube -> LoudMax
Parallel - Rendered SPX990 (Symphonic Preset)

Guitar 1: Aphex Compellor - > MAutoVolume -> TR5 Tape -> SPL TwinTube

Guitar 2: Aphex Compellor - > MAutoVolume -> TR5 Tape -> SatKnob

Drums: OH: DBX162SL (2-3dB GR) -> Acustica Black -> Softube Tape

Although it looks like there's a lot going on here, the processing was pretty minimal, with all GR around 2-3dB and any saturation barely noticeable.

For the mix, the processing was as follows:

The drum sound was based primarily on the OHs with some kick added for low end but otherwise not much contribution from the close mics.

Kick:
MAutoAlign, Oxford DrumGate, Flux BitterSweet, SSL Channel Strip V2, GSatPlus, Black Box

OHs:
D-REZ, VEQ-1P, Oxford Dynamic EQ, TB Compressor 4 (1-2dB GR on peaks)

Room:
Voxengo Sound Delay, ADA STD-1, SSL Channel Strip V2

Parallel:
Klanghelm DC8C3, SSL Channel Strip V2

Drum Reverb:
Valhalla Room, SSL Channel Strip V2

Bass:
Main - SSL Channel Strip V2
Parallel - Ampeg B15N
Parallel - PSA1000Jr, SSL Channel Strip V2
SPX990 (Symphonic) - Dual Pan (stereo width reduced by 50%), SSL Channel Strip V2
FX - Valhalla Room, SSL Channel Strip V2

Guitar 1:
SSL Channel Strip V2, Studio One Chorus
FX - Eventide SP2016
FX - Black Rooster RO-SPR, TB EQ4

Guitar 2:
SSL Channel Strip V2, Studio One Chorus
FX - Eventide SP2016
FX - Black Rooster RO-SPR, TB EQ4

Vocal:
SSL Channel Strip V2, bx_opto, GSatPlus, Frontier (1-2dB GR on peaks)
FX - Instant Delay (Chorus - 12/24ms modulated delay)
FX - Instant Delay (Stereo Echo - 180/200ms)
FX - Little Plate (short plate), TB EQ4
FX - Valhalla Room (long plate), TB EQ4
Bus - SPL De-Esser

Mixbus: GSat+, bx_refinement, TEOTE, Fiedler Stage, MTM Bassroom

Specs:

48kHz/24-bit
-18 LUFS (int.)
-1.3 dBTP

Good luck to all contestants.

Cheers!