2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
odistdan

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 16-NOV-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by odistdan »

JamesMusic wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 15:03 CET
Thanks @salvadorcassis for including me in the final 15!

And thanks @s&f for your kind comment too! The vocals in your mix are beautifully treated.

Here is a link to my revision - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7Jgdl ... sp=sharing

- I have made some of the vocal effects a bit more subtle during the early stages of the song as you suggest.
- I also noticed your praise to a couple of the other entries on the clarity of bass harmonics, so have given these more prominence this time round too.

Look forward to listening to all the other R2s.

Cheers,
James
@JamesMusic Your mix is really nice. Every section has been given its due attention.
JamesMusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by JamesMusic »

Thanks @odistdan, very kind. I really liked the guitars in your mix, good contrast between the two parts. Warm one side and jangly the other, really helps increase the sense of width. Some really great mixes on this competition.
JamesMusic AKA Red Shift Mastering
redshiftmastering.com
salvadorcassis

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by salvadorcassis »

1. JamesMusic
Congratulations. Your mix gives an interesting character to each section. You made strong decisions and nailed them.

2. alanvaldez
Congratulations. Nice balance, I feel the right amount of punch and color. Nice work with the mouth noises.

3. Alex Van mixland

Congratulations. I like the natural vibe, you’ve treated the vocals respectfully and controlled guitars nicely.

It was arduous to pick the best 3 because you ALL did a great job. I wanna thank everyone for your dedicated work, you all rock.

Special thanks to Mister Fox for your guidance over the process, for your patience, and for taking care of everything.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
We are ending the game here and do not go into Mix Round 3.

The Winners Podium is
1) @JamesMusic
2) @alanvaldez
3) @Alex Van mixland

We perform with the usual - in order of the winners podium, please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
And thank you @salvadorcassis for the positive words.

See you on the flipside.
JamesMusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC081 October 2021 - Winners announced

Post by JamesMusic »

Thanks @Mister Fox, this is exciting news!

I'm massively pleased you liked the direction I took the mix, @salvadorcassis! It's a great song and recording, it was really fun to mix!

Well done @alanvaldez and @Alex Van mixland, your mixes were top notch. So many great mixes on this competition, I'm really chuffed mine made it to the final podium!

The license I would like please is the Nugen Audio Mastercheck plugin, I'll drop you a private message in a minute, Mister Fox. Many thanks.

Give me a shout Salvador, if you or the band need help with any mixing in the future. It would be great to work with you again.

All the best to the community, and looking forward to the next competition!

Cheers,
https://redshiftmastering.com/
redshiftmastering.com
Ein Stuck

Post by Ein Stuck »

Congratulations to the winners....this was my first challenge and looking forward to more. Thanks
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

Congratulations to JamesMusic!

@JamesMusic could you explain a bit more about your vocal processing. In your notes you mention "several delays/reverbs of different lengths that come in and out by sections or to enhance a single phrase."

What were you using for the delays/reverbs and how was the enhancement working?

Cheers!
JamesMusic

Post by JamesMusic »

cpsmusic wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 02:58 CET
Congratulations to JamesMusic!

@JamesMusic could you explain a bit more about your vocal processing. In your notes you mention "several delays/reverbs of different lengths that come in and out by sections or to enhance a single phrase."

What were you using for the delays/reverbs and how was the enhancement working?

Cheers!
Thanks @cpsmusic!

No problem, here's what I used on the vocal:

Touch of Melodyne
TDR Nova - High pass and some dynamic cut at about 1k
Oxford Inflator and MV2 for some thickness
NI/Softube's LA2A, to level things out
Tone Projects Kelvin, automated to add a load of saturation and intensity during song climax.
Avid Tape Echo set to 340ms, moderate feedback - Just in last Chorus
AIR Multi Delay - Quarter note, low feedback - For whole song but low in mix
Avid Space - San Sabino Cathedral preset -whole song, fairly low in mix but bringing up the level in more intense sections of the song
Air Multi Delay - Quarter note again, but with loads of feedback, in series with Valhalla Supermassive, with Best Ballad Vocal preset. So a big washy delay. This is automated on as a delay throw to certain words/phrases and is used a lot in the big final chorus

Haha, looks overkill when listed out like this! Hope this helps, any other questions please let me know.

Cheers,
https://redshiftmastering.com/
redshiftmastering.com
alanvaldez
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by alanvaldez »

Wooooooohhhhhhhh! that's amazing! congratulations to everyone here, and specially the winners and with the surprise that I'm one of them!

@JamesMusic your mix sounds super!! I like that chorus you used... goin to see all the details on what you did to learn new stuff! well deserved!
@Alex Van mixland I love hew the vocals sound on your mix, also going to study your process!

Special thanks to @salvadorcassis, @Mister Fox and all the people involved at the Mix Challenge!

Also thanks to my cat Flappy who's always sleeping on my legs while I'm mixing!

I'm new here and still don't know what I can get for the price but would like to get the Acon Digital Restoration suite

:clap: :love:
Metal Musician Certified by Steinberg with a degree in Classical guitar, I love to use Cubase / Nuendo and make noise.
:phones:
http://equipboard.com/alan_valdez
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

The TL;DR is basically: pick a company that hasn't been selected yet, and then one of the tools on offer. NUGEN Audio was selected by JamesMusic, you just selected Acon Digital. Don't forget the PM, please. (see above)