2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
pabloAT

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 18-DEC-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by pabloAT »

Dear Pål, song provider & mix’s evaluators,
Many thanks for allowing me to pass to the second round. I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions for mix’s improvements.

To improve the lack of warmth and excess of low end, I tried some old good Pultec’s EQ emulations and did some cosmetics to the lower and top ends. Following your suggestion, I also lowered the level of the bell. And yes, it’s better now.
I hope you like the version 2 of my mix that you will find in the Dropbox’s link below.
Best wishes and success to all participants,
Pablo (@pabloAT)

[Dropbox's link to MC082 (R2)]
AN/DI P&R

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Mix Round 2 until 18-DEC-2021 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by AN/DI P&R »

Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for selecting my entry to go into round two. Thank you for taking the time to listen to each entry intently and given plenty of feedback to everyone.

I've taken on board the feedback for my submission - low mids too forward, and vocals have room to be more present.

This ended up with me adjusting the master chain to address the low mids, and shaping/setting the vocals around to give more presence. This does end up changing my intial spacial relationships between everything else, but it wasn't drastic. Just a few adjustments to volume/eq automation here and there and it fell back into place.

For this round I also sent the mix out for analog summing. The tube summing box I use really helped with depth of field, when I close my eyes and listen to the mix now, everything has taken on a different shape in terms of its appearance in the field (I'm a very visual mixer) and added improvements to the musicality/sonic relationships. That being said, it's still the same mix, but just an improved version from the feedback, and from my final mixdown.

Thank you to all - song provider/band/producer, fellow contestants and the Mix Challenge team. All the best to the final 15, and can't wait to see the final decision!

Linked below

MC082_ Canardus_Horribilis__Längtan_feat_Saga_Björling__AN/DI P&R_R2
KarlxVinten

Post by KarlxVinten »

Thank you for appreciating my mix .
As I haven't given the documentation on my previous mix so I will just give a short detail of what I have did , on the vocals I did a little compression using purple audio MC77 nd boosted some high frequency around 20k just to give that Air to the vocal. After that I did same processing to the chorus vocals also . In the drums section I have tightened low frequency a bit . In the flute section I have added some mid high Using Dangerous bax eq .

Now this is the detail as per Round 2
I have slightly increase the presence of the song and in the full band section I have tightened up Drums a bit and gave a little power when everything comes together.
I guess thats all needed to this track

Here is my Round 2 Submission - https://www.dropbox.com/s/di5532u3oujcy ... 2.wav?dl=0

Thank you.
Last edited by KarlxVinten on Sat Dec 18, 2021 08:30 CET, edited 1 time in total.
JamesMusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC082 November 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by JamesMusic »

Naturecord wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 23:11 CET

JamesMusic
Intro is very nice, very good separation and use of stereo field.Nice transition into full band. We would love to hear a little more bass, and maybe the main vox slightly louder when the rest of the band is playing. Nice and clear low end. Very nice effect with the vocal line with a lot of reverb on it towards the end.
Thanks for including me in the final 15 @Naturecord, and thanks for your positive feedback on the mix!

Here is my R2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xdtNt ... sp=sharing

Here are the changes:
- 2 or 3 EQ adjustments to the bass for more clarity and audibility
- Vocal up 0.7db during full band sections.

Cheers,
James
JamesMusic AKA Red Shift Mastering
redshiftmastering.com
JanLefr

Post by JanLefr »

LINK ROUND 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5v53ylk7nznj ... 2.wav?dl=0

Hello once again!

Thank you Pal (and everyone involved in the background) for choosing my mix to be amongst the Top 15! This is my first time participating in a challenge like this, so that is a special thing to me. I really appreciate the time you invested evaluating and I'm happy to share my revised mix.

I tackled the issues you mentioned in your feedback and adjusted some other things:
- the Lead Vox is now louder
- You noted a lack of energy and punch when it comes to the full band playing. I hope I could improve that! I did some level adjustments in drums, instruments and Backing Vocals, as well as pushing the Bouzouki with some compression. For me it feels more powerful now and I will be glad to hear what you think.
- the Saga choir and Saga Kulning got a lttle makeover. I noticed your post about these, describing it as a voice coming over mountains from far away. I really liked that thought and adapted it in the new mix. Much happier with these now.

Looking forward for your evaluation.
Happy Holidays (soon) everyone!
Jan
MFTWC

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Winners announced

Post by MFTWC »

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
This entry was wrongly posted in the Mix Challenge 079 / August 2021 thread. The forum engine keeps the original time stamp and placed it back here - I have no control over that. But technically, this entry was "not available" due to it being posted at the wrong place, and is therefore sadly "out of the game".

Naturecord wrote:

MFTWC
Transition to full band is very nice. From that point it sounds very balanced, and nice separation. Maybe slightly lower drums and a little more main vox would be nice. Flutes could also be a little more present when main vox is not there. In general a nice mix. A little build up in the low mids, that if cleaned up could improve the mix a little?

Ok, here is what i did: Turned down the volume on the drum bus a bit and a little more bus compression.
Turned up the main vocals a bit. Automated the volume on the flute bus so that the flutes are louder when there's no main vocal. And finally some cut at 220 Hz to get rid of some low mid frequencies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ySS9Pf ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your edit for Mix Round 2.

Important:
Please triple check that you've made a correct post and that your links are working. And to those that opted to advance through the help of a Wild Card, please keep in mind that you need to fix your mishap from the initial mixing round.

Meaning: no documentation - provide proper documentation, wrong sampling rate - submit in the correct sampling rate, not withing loudness specs - check that your mix doesn't exceed given parameters, etc
dnlptn

Post by dnlptn »

Thanks Naturecord, and appreciate the detailed evaluation! Thrilled to be in the 2nd round.

Added a bit more saturation to the main drums to remove some edge, and increased the vocals with the full band by .6db.
A bit more clip gain automation on the vocals here and there.

Good luck all!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IVB7zT ... sp=sharing
Green-Dog

Post by Green-Dog »

Hi everyone,

I am glad that my mix was chosen for the second round. Thanks to the song provider for the comments. I completely agree with them.

I added a bit of parallel compression to the vocals, using Arousor Empirical Labs, which made it louder and more confident. Then I cleaned the low, middle and lows. Finally, I used a dynamic equalizer on the bass guitar, controlled by the drums, to give the drum space at 60 Hz when they sound. I also noticed a few unpleasant resonances in different instruments with fresh ears and slightly reduced them.

Mix R2

Good luck to everyone!