2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Badgerface

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by Badgerface »

tmort1277 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 15:45 CET
Badgerface
-overall nice balance, good vocal treatment, like the grindy bass, good kick/bass, the BGV in chorus are a good blend, well treated organ, the main rhythm guitar could be better managed/automated? It gets distracting at times, the cowbell in the solos is too loud, should be less heard, more sensed(this is common to a number of the mixes), the synth pops could also be lowered
Hi - thanks for selecting my mix for round 2, and for the feedback!
Here's my revised mix:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11NhZh ... p=drive_fs

I've had a look at everything you mentioned and also tried to pay attention to a lot of your general comments and some of the feedback directed to others, so:
- Main rhythm guitar has been EQd a little, rebalanced slightly (some more automation too) and also the panning has been widened a bit in general, (also a number of other elements) - it's not really full LCR still but definitely an even wider contrast with the guitars particularly.
Doing this affected how a few things were coming across so I've ended up tweaking EQs etc on quite a few things.. you know how it is once you start tinkering.. ;)
- cowbell down! Also synths in places.
- the 'holes' have had more attention. Each one is a little different and they are more dramatic.
- some guitar arrangement in verse 1 mainly to mix it up a bit as per comments for other people. (I wasn't sure about doing this sort of thing in mix 1 because it seemed as if the rule was to mix the arrangement as we found it, but it's getting thumbs-up elsewhere, so, cool)

The main goal in my mix is to keep the energy up! Hope you enjoy.. Good luck to all - some fun mixes coming in, and I'm still enjoying hearing the song, which is a good sign ;)
vintage

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 until 22-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by vintage »

Hello,
Thank you for this opportunity to switch to R2, here is my proposal:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RpJa27 ... sp=sharing

I followed your remarks and listened to some other very good mixing proposals and I modified my mix to offer something original, warmer, more dynamic with more of punch and I even took over an excellent idea from another competitor (I hope he won't mind...) because I think it brings a lot of contrast to the song so I kept because only the final result matters to me!

Good listening and good luck to the other participants,

Patrick from Brussels
IbanezoO

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 until 22-MAR-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by IbanezoO »

Here's my entry for round 2:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k9wlNe ... sp=sharing

I worked on the drums, raised the overall volume while taming the attack of the kick. That caused another issue with the overheads where I needed to use a de-esser to control the ride cymbal transients.

I lowered the volume of the acoustic in the chorus and did some automation for finetuning.

I hope you like it. :smile:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 23rd March 2022, 03:00 (UTC+1) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

STATISTICS
  • everyone has sent in an edit
  • We have 0 Wild Card uses to advance into the next round (not available this month)
  • We have 0 participant that decided on not to advance through the use of a Wild Card (not available this month)
  • We have 0 submissions after the deadline

Please check your upload links again (I could download all files), and have an eye on this thread for more feedback and a possible Mix Round 3, or an announcement of the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. The Songwriting Competition is still in full swing. :tu:
Please also consider becoming a Song Provider - no more material means no more Mix(ing) Challenges

See you on the flipside.
tmort1277

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by tmort1277 »

Hello all,
Sorry to be so long, the democratic process, a death in the family and the high quality of all the Round 2 mixes caused the end result to take awhile. We were in good agreement on number 1, but choosing 2 and 3 was tough. That being said the final results are(we are not going for a third round):

First place: vintage
Second place: Deif Diamond
Third place: UHLS

Also sorry we are not providing detailed notes, it is a minor miracle that we have been able to pick 3, in the end the mixes we chose all had a certain “excitement” and cohesive flow that was most engaging. It is very challenging to make thoughtful choices at the level of quality with which we are presented.
Thanks to everyone, the skills and knowledge of the Mix Challenge group are amazing, we learned a lot about our song and will end up with a superior mix of our own as a result.
The Buddy Blake Band
Gertius

Post by Gertius »

My condolences to the affected bandmember.

Thanks to the band for getting back with a decision!
Even though I wasn't picked I was very happy to participate in the challenge.
It was a fun and rewarding experience, also to receive feedback and being selected for mix round 2.
Best of luck to the band!

Big thanks also to Mister Fox for organising it all, it seems like a lot of work.
But it sure is a great place to have and great experience for people starting out or with not so many contacts into the music world yet.

All the best,
Christian
vintage

Post by vintage »

Hello,
Thank you for choosing my mix in number 1! This was a triple challenge for me because I'm not used to mixing rock and my mixing room is new and being optimized with new monitors that I don't know yet... A real plus participating in this type of mixing contest (thanks to Mister Fox!) gives me a lot of confidence for the future, congratulations to the other participants, and to the other two winners! Patrick from Brussels
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
We are ending the game here and do not go into Mix Round 3.

The Winners Podium is
1) @vintage
2) @DeifDiamond
3) @UHLS

We perform with the usual - in order of the winners podium, please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
And thank you @tmort1277 for the final words of feedback and encouragement.

Also thank you to everyone for the positive words, especially on the Mix(ing) Challenge. Please keep in mind, we ran out of new multi-tracks to mix - no more material means no more games. I try to acquire new content, but we (currently) have open spots for June 2022, August 2022, October 2022 and December 2022. Please reach out.

See you on the flipside.
vintage

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Winners announced

Post by vintage »

As requested here is my choice: Nos Audio Roomer reverb. Nice evening
Patrick
UHLS

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC084 February 2022 - Winners announced

Post by UHLS »

@tmort1277
thank you that the band chose my mix for the top 3. so i congratulate @vintage and @DeifDiamond for the first two places.
@Mister Fox
thank you for this platform which enables us to put our skills to the test.
i hope that we can participate in interesting tasks for a long time to come.
best regards
UHLS