2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Submissions until 21-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A quick reminder for everyone:

While the filename MC085__Tom_Besançon__Danser__ForumUsername.wav does work and is valid, I provided a filename template for the very reason that there are special characters in the songwriter name which some OS setups and/or servers can't properly interpret. Also, the full name of the remix is actually "Danser en automne"

The provided template was:
MC085__Tom_Besancon__Danser_en_automne__ForumUsername.wav

I will let both filenames count (previous and future entries), as long as your mix can be associated with your user account (forum username). But please, pay attention to detail (vocals especially).
mixedbyadn

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Submissions until 21-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by mixedbyadn »

Hi,

My mix makes the voice and the bridges guitars shine.

I think it’s already very mixed, specifically the lead vocal, so this is what I made:

- Narrow the stereo image of synth and beat tracks to avoid phase issues
- Level tracks properly
- EQ guitars
- Sidechain kick when snare hits to keep the groove

More time labelling and coloring than mixing.

Enjoy it (also in your smartphone :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygs2c2htdi8yx ... N.wav?dl=0
cpsmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC085 April 2022 - Submissions until 21-04-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by cpsmusic »

Hi All,

I have a question for the song provider.

Could you give us some more information about the remix ("Danser en automne"). Is there anything about it that you weren't happy with? Alternatively, are there elements that you think worked well?

I guess what I'm asking is why are we mixing this song (after all, it's a remix so it's already been mixed)? Are you looking for a new direction or a better version of what's already there?

Cheers,

Chris
dima510

Post by dima510 »

good morning from cologne :-)

thanks for your question, chris!

from my point of view, "danser en automne" is much more a re-make than a re-mix. i did not use any of the tracks of the original song by tom. so - yes, this re-make has already been mixed. otherwise a release would not have been possible. and yes, i for my part like the mix and i think it works quite well - for the same reason. there is one little glitch in the vocal tuning, where i always shake my head, though. this song took a while to be finished, and - as i mentioned before - these tracks already contain a lot of EQ/comp/rooms etc., because i switched to mixing with "frozen" WAV's and not VSTi's at some point. so in order to re-create "my" mix, setting the levels would more or less work. my summary would be: do not try to make it sound like my mix. i personally would rather like to hear new creative mixing-elements (panning, automation, distortion, delays, etc.) that work well for the song, than "my" mix again and again... ;-)
f. e.: i have heard one of the mixes here, where the impact at 2:40 from piano/bass is much bigger, than in my mix - and i liked that!

i hope that helps? cheers, dirk.
cpsmusic

Post by cpsmusic »

dima510 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 08:23 CEST
good morning from cologne :-)

thanks for your question, chris!

from my point of view, "danser en automne" is much more a re-make than a re-mix. i did not use any of the tracks of the original song by tom. so - yes, this re-make has already been mixed. otherwise a release would not have been possible. and yes, i for my part like the mix and i think it works quite well - for the same reason. there is one little glitch in the vocal tuning, where i always shake my head, though. this song took a while to be finished, and - as i mentioned before - these tracks already contain a lot of EQ/comp/rooms etc., because i switched to mixing with "frozen" WAV's and not VSTi's at some point. so in order to re-create "my" mix, setting the levels would more or less work. my summary would be: do not try to make it sound like my mix. i personally would rather like to hear new creative mixing-elements (panning, automation, distortion, delays, etc.) that work well for the song, than "my" mix again and again... ;-)
f. e.: i have heard one of the mixes here, where the impact at 2:40 from piano/bass is much bigger, than in my mix - and i liked that!

i hope that helps? cheers, dirk.
Thanks!
dima510

Post by dima510 »

you are welcome! let me put it like this: anything that surprises me in a positive way, will help you make it to the next round ;-)
Candide

Post by Candide »

Hi Everybody,
Hope you are well, first time to try a Mix Challenge
5 hours mixing today, I was fun, itb and analog for voices.
Pro tools plugin pack ultimate and 2,3 waves plugs, but big big eqs everywhere...
Great song, 80' style, love it ...
This is my mix
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXotNH ... sp=sharing

Regards
Candide
dima510

Post by dima510 »

welcome and thank you for your entry! best, dirk.
Candide

Post by Candide »

Thanks Dirk...
alavault

Post by alavault »

Salut !
Mix :https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hBaK4I ... sp=sharing
Usual setup : track to busses, busses to master. 3 parallel comps : rhythm section, vocals, everything else not mentionned previously.
I didn't try to reproduce the original vocoded vocals as it reminded to much of Maître Gims.
Automation : basically all the tricks in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYb2FibLvps
Master bus : SSL comp after Kotelnikov :: glue ++
Drums : secondary percussions were crushed, distorted and downsampled. Autopan for extra movement
Drums 2 : Multed kick and snare for creating different textures for verses and chorus : one with added noise (for "ambiance") and one with transient designer for punch.
GTR : nothing to see here. Slight compression on the funk guitar.
FX : went into loooooonnnnnnggggg reverb. For extra woosh.
Vocals : spot tuning. Especially in the ending. The tuning differences between the FX and the clean vocals made me "fou à lier". See, a joke. Also, flanger on BGV.
Basses : usual setup : Flanger for width. Sansamp on chorus for added "in-your-face-ness".
Synth : heavy limiting on pianos and hook synth. The rest is slightly EQd (mostly in the 400Hz region)
Added FX : classic 3 size reverbs + 4 delays (slap, 1/8D,1/4,1/2). Added a new circular delay on hook synth and ending vocals.
Overall : d'accord pour la partie "danser", mais pourquoi "en automne" ?