2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC086 June 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
AskAndy

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC086 June 2022 - Submissions until 21-06-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by AskAndy »

Super Fun. No idea what I was/am doing in this genre. So I looked up dub delay and gave it a go. I took the 4 tracks named by the producer and sent each to it own aux . Put a delay ,( used H-delay on 2, ) to a automated EQ sweep, to an L1 limiter then side loop to itself to get that feedback control. Ideally I hoped to loop the dialog '.. from which there is no return." through out but decided not since the title is no escape. this would feel contradictory. Then bounced these tracks to gain more control over each dub delay, basicaly making them new tracks to the piece rather than the aux send trcks they were. Tried to give the sub bass its place and keep most of the remaining low end stuff clear of it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al0k-deoMtpH4w3zId8 ... j?e=amz9NX
Vanilla Puff

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC086 June 2022 - Submissions until 21-06-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Vanilla Puff »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i71vLH ... sp=sharing
24Bit, 48kHZ, -18,5 LUFS integrated, -3,4 TP max.
Not much eq-ing for this track.
Time alligned and saturated Kick with Kick extra to my liking.
Percussion: Panning, delays on percussive elements, saturation on its group, Reverb automation.
Sub, synths, fx sidechained via midi trigger.
Subs: saturation, gentle pre eq, compression to give just a bit more attack.
Dialogue: chorus, ott, delay, panning.
Screams: delay, sidechain.
Bass hit: saturation, a touch of widener.
Synths: didn't alter too much, since I liked it.
Same for FX.
LowlandsWave

Post by LowlandsWave »

This was something else ... but it was fun to work on

For de Kick I summed the Kicks and did some work with split EQ and boosted some low en some high frequencies from 4kHz.
Snares and percussion got some space added with Neoverb reverb

Parallel drum bus with 1176 compressor

Bass added saturation and some low end with Ampeg SVTVR Classic. Finished with Arouser

Vocals added som delay/echo with BX-delay 2500
Vocals added some parallel processing with vocal synth, added some "hiss"

The synth's pads are side chained to the kick for some compression/pumping

On the mixbus I have The SSL buscompressor for Glue and the NoiseAsh pultec combo for some warmth and extra low end.

That's it, here is my mix: No Escape
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC086 June 2022 - Submissions until 21-06-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.
evandollar

Post by evandollar »

What a pleasure working on this mix! Totally different from the indie/pop stuff and cinematic material I'm used to working on. The greatest challenges I overcame were 1) getting clarity from the kick while still having it feel like part of the arrangement and 2) Having the sub-bass present on headphones and smaller systems while still feeling natural to the style and sound appropriate when played through a larger system. Learned a lot and had tons of fun!

My Mix
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VYXmbT ... sp=sharing

My Processing

DRUMS
Kick - Kick 1, 2 & Perf Kick are grouped together on the subgroup there is ~3dB of compression with Pro C2 on Punch 50ms and 300ms Release 4:1 ratio, 24db 125HP SC filter | 24dB HP @ 35hz | 2db @ 60hz & 4.5db @ 2750hz | Parallel compressed with JST Finality
Snare - Snare, Marching snare and Perc Snare are bussed together - 2db of Compression 100ms attack 200ms release 4:1 ratio | -3db @ 375hz with a moderate Q & 2db at 1600 with a very wide Q

Main Fill - 4db compression 100ms attack 200ms release, 4:1 ratio || Devil Loc at 2/10 mix, 2/10 crush & 1.5/10 crunch
Ride - 24dB LP @ 8500
Signature Fill - sent to parallel Devil Loc Deluxe and JST Finality

Drum Buss - Pro-MB 4bands with 0.5-1.5db reduction on all bands || Saturn Tape @ 35% drive || Pro C2 on Punch 44ms and 88ms Release 4:1 ratio, 24db 125HP SC filter || SPL Vitalizer Bass=tight, comp=10, mid-hi tune=2.2k, process 6, LC-EQ=Low, Intensity=6 || Soothe 2 in M/S at 50% wet/dry

BASS
Warm sub & Sq Sub are bussed together - 1.5 dB of compression 50ms attack 100ms release || 24db LP at 7500 || Saturn Tube saturation at 35%
Bass hit - Saturn Tube saturation at 35%

Bass Sub group - Parallel MaxxBass 100% wet, 110hz crossover, -2db output

SYNTHS
Main Pad and Synth pad Bussed together and SC’d to Kick with 6db of reduction

DIALOGUE
Pro Q3 - 3db bell at 10khz 0.175 Q || Maag EQ4 0.5db @ 2.5khz, 2db @40Khz || Tube Tech CL1m MkII 3db of Compression, Moderate attack, Fast release || SPL Vitalizer - Drive 3db, LC-EQ 6khz intensity 12 || Sent to 2 instances of FF Timeless 2 with lots of cross channel feedback and modulating bandpass filters

FX
Scream - Sent to 2 instances of FF Timeless 2 with lots of cross channel feedback and modulating bandpass filters

Ambience & Verbs
Almost every track except the kick and bass went to a 0.75s Pro R verb and a 1.4s Neoverb Plate in varying degrees

2 Bus
Saturn adding tape saturation 35% drive
ggibson1988

Post by ggibson1988 »

This was a blast mixing this project. MIxed in ProTools. Started by creating Aux Tracks and routing tracks for Percussion, Bass, Keys, Vox / FX, Reverb, And Spring Reverb.
Balanced tracks.
Used BF-2A to reign in some tracks that were bouncing off the top of the meters from the start.
7 band EQ on the following: Kick, Both Hats, Perc Loop 1, Bongos, Marching Snare, Perc Drum, Shakers and Ride.
Per artist request created sends for Dialog, Scream, Snare, and Chant to Aux Track with BBD Delay~ 1/4 delay, followed by a phaser, then a tape delay.
Compression and iZotope Neutron on Aux Tracks for Percs, Bass, Keys and Vox / FX.
Vox / FX Aux was sent to Spring Reverb, and all other Aux to Room Reverb.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ktm6uO ... sp=sharing
rahulk7987

Post by rahulk7987 »

Hello,
This was a fun track to work with. Got to learn a lot.

Mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rru8X7 ... sp=sharing
ZioPaperone358

Post by ZioPaperone358 »

Hi guys. Sorry for arriving so late I did it some time ago and then forgot to post it :face: New genre, it was fun! I tried to roughly follow the OG mix for levels and placement since I had no clue :headscratch: Added a ton of reverb to the Main Synth and played with the dub delays a bit.
Haven't really done much weird processing worth noting, kick was saturated, eq and a tiny bit of compression
the other percussions were processed a bit, added a small plate of secondary ones and controlled some peaks (snare got the dub delay).
On the marching snare I flipped one channel phase, eq, comp, a transient designer to shorten the tail and a lot of volume automations and a lot of effects automated throughout the song (autopan, phaser filters)
On the main basses I used eq and a bit of saturation to make them cut through, shortened the tails a bit. On the Bass hit I basically did the same and some widening, diffused delay and a bit of compression on the upper bass region.

The rest is quite ordinary with some added delays and fx on vocals

Hope you like it!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nF9J0p ... sp=sharing
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Hi there,

This is my road to the mix I made (see link below). I noticed that the track had an open arrangement with not too many layers sounding at the same time. So I wanted to let the elements that where not part of the beat to realy stand out without overshadowing the kck (that felt for me the most important element in keeping the energy)

I created a texture for the song with lots of reverb on the synth pads and I created movement with automated filters and panning.

I also used lots of distortion and exciters to make it sound more aggressive and dark. i liked the combination with the verb and
adds to the 'spooky' atmosphere of the song.

The kck sound I din't really like in the context of the song so I sculped it with EQ, compression (serial compression...1 for character,
1 for attack), and a bass exciter.

The extra kck I used as a special effect, not as a kck. There is a ton of distortion (two types), bass exciter and compression...and I drowned it in reverb....obviously

There is more distortion on 'warm sub' 'main pad' 'Vox atmos''dialogue'.

There is a pitch shifter on certain parts of the 'vox atmos' combined with a tremelo effect and delay. I automated the pitch shifter for effect.

The 'scream' goes through a reverb and delay to make it sound very wide. The panning of this track is automated.

The result:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbgQCEQiB ... K?e=orA0E5
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

AskAndy wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 19:39 CEST
Super Fun. No idea what I was/am doing in this genre. So I looked up dub delay and gave it a go. I took the 4 tracks named by the producer and sent each to it own aux . Put a delay ,( used H-delay on 2, ) to a automated EQ sweep, to an L1 limiter then side loop to itself to get that feedback control. Ideally I hoped to loop the dialog '.. from which there is no return." through out but decided not since the title is no escape. this would feel contradictory. Then bounced these tracks to gain more control over each dub delay, basicaly making them new tracks to the piece rather than the aux send trcks they were. Tried to give the sub bass its place and keep most of the remaining low end stuff clear of it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al0k-deoMtpH4w3zId8 ... j?e=amz9NX
Actually I just realised I should name the tune "No return" after I published it... :face: Too late now.