2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
MrFlat

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 in evaluation

Post by MrFlat »

My mix was disqualified? why!?
andreybenassi

Post by andreybenassi »

Hi guys!
I'm very happy to be in the top 3, thank you so much Ady for all your full feedback and concern in really beyond giving feedback, helping with technical terms.

One thing I couldn't understand is if the placement of the winners, what order are they in?

Thanks!!!
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

Wow :hyper: :P

I am very happy to have achieved third place in this very close competition. It means a lot to me. Thanks @Los_ady for the great feedbacks and all your dedication to the contest. As for the crack you mentioned in the feedback, this detail is printed on the stem of the vocal. I think the processing I did on the vocal highlighted it more. I noticed it from the beginning, but I didn't try to mess with it, especially after all that talk about the raw material we receive from the producers/artists to work with. It is not a complaint on my part, but this is just to make it clear that the crack was already there in the stem. Congratulations to the winners and all of the competitors!! :clap: :clap:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
We are ending the game here and do not go into Mix Round 3.

The Winners Podium is
1) @andreybenassi
2) @Christoph_K
3) @rvalle

We perform with the usual - in order of the winners podium, please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
And thank you @Los_ady for the final words of feedback and encouragement.

Also thank you to everyone for the positive words, especially on the Mix(ing) Challenge. Please keep in mind, we ran out of new multi-tracks to mix - no more material means no more games. I try to acquire new content, but we (currently) have open spots for December 2022, And I am also sourcing for 2023 already. Please reach out.

Also, please don't forget the Songwriting Competition.

See you on the flipside.
andreybenassi

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Post by andreybenassi »

Very happy with the result, very cool to see that all the effort to make my mix grow between the parts was in fact recognized by ady, including the automations and details that I automated so they don't clash with the voice!

Thanks Ady!

I will choose Metric Halo Channel Strip 3 - Let's try some new EQ!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

MrFlat wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 18:52 CEST
My mix was disqualified? why!?
To quickly answer that question:

@MrFlat -- the entry for Mix Round 3 was submitted after the deadline (15 minutes over)
@Christoph Stoll -- this entry for Mix Round 3 unfortunately exceeded the loudness limits (-0,8dBTP)

In accordance with the known Rules and Guidelines, and in fairness to the other participants, these two entries have sadly been disqualified. :educate:

Better luck next time for MC088 / October 2022.
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

Thanks @Los_ady for putting me on the winners podium and congrats to all the winners :clap: ! That was a very interesting and fun journey.

I choose the IK Multimedia T-RackS Tape Machine Collection as a plugin.

Cheers, Chris
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

My plugin of choice is NUGEN Audio Master Check. Thanks :smile:
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

voluntary update (as I left out some steps and techniques for lack of time in R1) :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EoMYbp ... sp=sharing -- mix (48/24, outside competition)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y1B6LW ... share_link --automastered for CD by free Plugin Alliance service

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing -- screens

mc087-beatTrk&kickSC.jpg
I distilled a punchy tight kick signal from the beat track and used it to sidechain the bass, so I could make the bass louder and fuller.

bass
multed into a bass heavy ampeg, and a mid-hi component with a saturator, elliptic hard filtering, and ambience reverb.

I used the lead vocal in a trackspacer circuitry to push away the melody bus (brass and ribab string) when vocal needs space. so I need not make the vocal too loud.

vocal was remixed with different settings for de-ringing and de-essing, and reverbs, and bessel hipassing made it less boomy.
reverb for Tamar was EQ'd else too muddy.

guitar bus was improved with a PA Lindell 50 channel strip. a little bit of comp and EQ for "presence", and some "body".
ethnic percussion improved as recommended by Ady.

thanks if anyone is interested to listen.