2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
rvalle

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 until until 27-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by rvalle »

Hello, folks. Once again, I am very happy to have reached another round. Submitting my version here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqcZPa ... sp=sharing

The changes I made were as requested by "the client". I'll make a more detailed post later so I don't take the risk of missing the deadline for whatever reason now.

See you all.
dstra

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 until until 27-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dstra »

Hi everyone,

Thanks again to Ady for the very helpful feedback.

Here is the revised mix: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TSMaso ... sp=sharing

Changes
The following instruments have been turned down a bit to leave more space for the vocals and horns and to make the "jungle of instruments" a little less dense :wink: :
  • Karkaba: -2.5dB
  • Guitars in verse: -2dB
  • Guitars in chorus (and last part of intro): -1.5dB, additional high shelving filter @2.5kHz -3dB
  • Bass: mids & highs -2dB
I hope you enjoy it :smile:
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

Hey,

here's R3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VWp1PK ... sp=sharing

Used slight compression to bring Tamar up but not overpowering. I used a little pallel compression and level massaging to make the lead vocal pop more in the chorus and enhance the tone. A few homeopathic level adjustments here and there to benefit the overall drive and the chorus pop again. I was still missing something and added super duper slight SSL-style bus compression (1.5 db max GR) to enhance the groove and make everyone bounce together. That slight squeeze was just what was missing.

:phones:
MrFlat

Post by MrFlat »

Here is my corrected mix for R3

Just some volume automation, and added some multiband compression and saturation on the mixbus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzqdsmsszsibf ... 3.wav?dl=0
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 28th September 2022, 06:05 (UTC+2) - the 3rd Mix Round has officially ended.

STATISTICS
  • Everyone has sent in an edit
  • We have 1 submissions after the deadline

Please check your upload links again (I could download all files), and have an eye on this thread for more feedback and an announcement of the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. The Songwriting Competition is still in full swing. :tu:
Please also consider becoming a Song Provider - no more material means no more Mix(ing) Challenges

See you on the flipside.
White Punk OD

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Mix Round 3 in evaluation

Post by White Punk OD »

meanwhile, here is a compilation of african record labels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wmwlill6xw
with these names, artists can be found and listened to.
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

I'm on it guys! I will take some time to avoid any further mistakes!

Thanks for the African Record Label compilation @White Punk OD funny, I am in the middle of starting a Publishing Company myself for Music around the world to sell to Warner Chapelle :) <3
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

rvalle wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 19:45 CEST
The changes I made were as requested by "the client". I'll make a more detailed post later so I don't take the risk of missing the deadline for whatever reason now.
Whats up, ppl. Clarifying the changes I made in my version for the third round, were basically to improve the beat. As Ady asked, I lowered the beat volume a little bit on the verses, but I thought the difference over the volume on the chorus became large. So, I ended up holding the volume of the whole beat at a few dbs. I chose to leave the transition to the third chorus without the mini break that I had placed. The original is much better indeed. Looking forward to know the winners! :phones:
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Hey Everyone!

I had to push a couple of nightshifts, sorry for the delay! I have 3 Winners but will listen to them one more time tomorrow with fresh ears :)

Hear you tomorrow - how was your weekend?
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Here we go, couple of nightshifts turned to 7 days x 16 - 19 Hours of work ayayay so today, with fresh and tuned ears, we have 3 WINNER!!!

This was nerve wracking and exciting, it was a real head-on-head race and in the 3rd Round we even had 2 people being disqualified because the track was TOOOO LOUD and came AFTER the deadline - insanity ;)

Congratulations to:

@andreybenassi
@Christoph_K
@rvalle

For me, 2 clear winning mixes are Christoph K and Andrey Benassi and before you kill me that I chose rvalle, here's the explanation:

I had to choose 1 from 3 mixes that were left so I compared them to each other (!) based on my taste and expectation to capture the vibe of the song the best and chose at the end the most playful.

While @Mork had a very strong mix, it was inconsistent in the chorus, it needs more reverb/delay/something special to glue the voice to the chorus while rvalle had only an issue with a short distortion in the vocals (things we can hear also in commercial pop productions like Doja Cat and many others) but he captured the vibe and stayed consistent with good sound from beginning to the end

@dstra same with you, I enjoyed your mix very much but the intro could sound a bit more "expensive" and coherent, the karkaba was a bit too loud while Lala Tamar's voice wasn't loud enough towards the end of the intro, therefore I go with consistent good sound from rvalle instead of your mix as the winner.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Feedback is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you to everybody for participating, you all Rock and I learned a lot during this mixing contest as well!