2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Submissions until 21-08-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Franz wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 13:55 CEST
That said, we can of course work around this problem (just an additional complication) but it would have been simpler and more
logical to provide ALL the guitar tracks WITHOUT effects.
The tracks are provided "as is". Ady didn't get the material any other way either.

This guitar is quite masked in the mix, with the right EQ/compression, you might get to the sound you want. So please use your ears, and make an educated decision with your mix.
Los_ady

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Submissions until 21-08-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Los_ady »

Hey Franz!

Thanks for pointing this out and I'm honest here: I mixed the track almost 2 years ago and simply don't know what my decision was :D

The Band honestly even forgot that they recorded the WahWah and once I bring it up, they liked it. If the WahWah Spring is not in my original mix, I didn't liked it and made a decision to not have it there - and it's fine :)

The band provided me with the tracks while I recorded the Moroccan instruments - if you like them, keep them, if not, leave them out!

Have fun mixing :)
Franz

Post by Franz »

Thanks for the quick feedback (Ady and Fox) on my little remark about a print track.

Yes, it is absolutely not a problem to recreate the "original" sound - I already said it in my post.

It is in fact -and by chance- that I followed the sacrosanct precept inculcated by most of the different mixing sites
(you all know them) to take the original mix as a "reference"! A really stupid and anti-creative precept.
So surprises happen from time to time like the history of the wah-wah guitar.

I understand you Ady, between your incessant earthly travels and the "time" option, find the original tracks or add new ones,
you are far from the traditional concept of a total recording which is done at a given moment and which is immediately
followed by the mix. But your concept of mixing different ethnic music with more pop music is very interesting.
It's a matter of taste. And not everyone shares the same ones. We'll see...

Franz
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Submissions until 21-08-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

I am sorry, but this is where I step in as "Keeper of the Rules and Guidelines"... :educate:

Los_ady wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 14:31 CEST
The band provided me with the tracks while I recorded the Moroccan instruments - if you like them, keep them, if not, leave them out!
Franz wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:51 CEST
Yes, it is absolutely not a problem to recreate the "original" sound - I already said it in my post.

It is in fact -and by chance- that I followed the sacrosanct precept inculcated by most of the different mixing sites
(you all know them) to take the original mix as a "reference"! A really stupid and anti-creative precept.
So surprises happen from time to time like the history of the wah-wah guitar.
I currently have this project open, and spent several re-runs with speakers and headphones, just focusing on the Wah-Wah guitar in question.

:arrow: The following applies:
  • As mentioned on Post #2 under the provided demo - "This version might sound different from the provided multi-tracks."
  • However, the multi-tracks reflect what you hear in the final mix. As in - the Wah-Wah guitar is present during the given positions in both the released mix, and the individual multi-tracks, albeit as subtle layer in places.
  • The Wah-Wah might sound "different" in the released mix / provided demo due to the "masking effect" from other instruments, and possible EQ/compression usage (if in doubt - Ady created an extensive Production Tutorial on Mix Innovator, also see: Mix Pack TXTs)
  • As per the given rule book, it is stated that "the provided arrangement must remain the same.". Meaning: no changes to the arrangement (copy/add/move/remove parts) -- unless otherwise stated beforehand. (I am not changing parameters with 9 days left on the counter)
  • This is a Mix(ing) Challenge -- the task is to create an enjoyable mix based upon your skill-set and creative ideas, not a 1:1 recreation of the already released material.

Please , work with what has been given to you, to the best of your current abilities and available tools at your disposal.

Have fun, and good luck. :notes:
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

Hi Ady, nice world music tune!

Mixing this song was a little tricky, many elements to combine but I hope I have succeeded.

There are minor edits, I hope these are permited.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FOuiyv ... sp=sharing

Many this to talk about the whole processing I will try to make a resume.

Basically there is saturation eq and compression in almost all the tracks.

But Mostly:

Desert beat= Turn down the sustain on the low (kick), and -3 db on the fundamental (+ some tape saturation)

Karakaba, hi pass and boost about 3 db's the fundamental (1k)

cajon; sidechain the lows with the kick, boost about 3k and compression.

Cymbals: agressive high pass about 2k.

Cala: also sidechained the low with the kick and compression

Bass: boost the lows and about 2 3 k + opto compression

Vox: A large chain and a little rx7 to reduce the clipping in some parts.

Guitars: a lots of eq, some widening and short reverbs and delays.

Brass section: quite widened, and a little tape saturation, gentle sidechain with the vox.

Ribab, compression, hard eq, and a touch of delay and chorus.

There are like 7 aux tracks, with short and long reverbs, a spring reverb, delays, 2 tracks of amp saturation and a wet hass effect.

Mix bus with compression, eq, gentle clipping and limiting.

If you want details about the plug-ins used I can provide it.

Once again sorry for the bad English and cheers from Barcelona, good luck Everyone.
scottfitz
Backer
Backer

Post by scottfitz »

Hi all,
Are we allowed to use limiters on our mix bus if the result is coming out within the loudness ranges given?
Cheers
Los_ady

Post by Los_ady »

Thank you @Mister Fox for explaining and @Franz for Understanding, you Rock! :)

Thanks @PauPeu for your kind words!

@scottfitz yes you can! :)
JunMan

Post by JunMan »

Hello~ Everyone~
First time participating in the mix challenge here
Hope you guys like my mix,thank you
I’ am not very good at English,so please bear with me

mixing description:
Mix in the box
Most of the tracks have added saturation for coloring

1. Desert beat: low frequency, middle and high frequency have eq boost
2. hihat, cymbal low cut
3.Percussion: mainly enhance 1-5k, increase the percussive sense, with the compressor pressure average
4.Bass: waves rbass to increase low frequency, use compressor pressure average
5.Guitars: pan extreme left and right, cla effect, cla guitar to enhance reverb, delay and tone
6.Brass: increase the middle and high frequencies, slightly low cut some, use saturation for coloring
7.FIONA VOX: low cut 170hz or less, boost 2.5k, 5k.
boost 40k air, use pro-DS and pro-C2 compressor
8. LALA TAMAR VOX: a lot of reverb and delay
9. Mix Bus: use SSL G-buss compressor

:smile:

MIX:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XAALFX ... sp=sharing
Last edited by JunMan on Tue Aug 16, 2022 17:21 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC087 August 2022 - Submissions until 21-08-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A bonus info:

To those not being good with the English language, I can recommend taking a look at the Deepl Translation Engine. Keep in mind: documentation, at bar minimum one sound you're most proud of in terms of sculpting, is part of the game.
White Punk OD

Post by White Punk OD »

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gabh?hl=en
also very handy, there should be a version for firefox as well.
it is a shell for both the google and MS translators and has an optional input window.
it can translate any web content with one click to a preferred language, for example the rule book, for those who have learned other languages more than english..
text volume is limited though. do paragraph for paragraph.