2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Mix Challenge 088 - October 2022

! Bonus Info
This month, you have the chance to to work on a "House / Trance" production hybrid, kindly provided to us by Dutch musician "Sir @EatMe". The song is called "Shift".

The biggest task this month, is to find suitable space for the provided sound layers. Proper use of filtering, modulation and maybe even side-chain signal control might be necessary. You can still add your own creative spin. In fact, this is highly encouraged. As long as it suits the original production.

Did we pique your interest? Then please take special note of the attached TXT files in the Mix Pack, and please read about the details and special requirements for handling this mix further down below.

THE ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS FOR THE MIX(ING) CHALLENGE:
  • Before you get started, please consult the official "Rules and Guidelines" for the Mix Challenge regarding principles of the game, upload/submission guidelines, the concept of documenting your edits, and maximum allowed loudness values (see Rule Book - post #6)
  • The focus of this game is "mixing". Try to create a mix in your own style that complements this production and can stand on it's own, no matter the playback medium. Edit/Mix in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution (incl. loudness adjustments e.g. for release on Streaming, Vinyl, Tape, CD) is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step.
  • The "Mix Pack" and additional information for this months production can be found in in post #2
  • Render the edited material in the same sampling rate and bitrate as originally provided (MC088 / October => 48/24)
  • Filename Template: MC088__EatMe__Shift__ForumUsername.wav
Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.

This introduction post acts as an index for the various stages of the Mix(Ing) Challenge. It will be updated with the corresponding links and suitable thread headlines as we progress. Please watch this spot...

Submission Period: General Information, Source Files, Sponsors
Mix Round 1 Statistics/Data Sheet: Overview of Submissions - is your entry within given parameters?
Mix Round 2: Global Feedback and Round 2 Participant Announcement
Mix Round 3: <optional>/<not happening this game>
Results of the Mix Challenge: Winners announced
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Submissions until 21-10-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Saturday, 01st October 2022 to Friday, 21st October 2022 (21 days)

Challenge submission will end on 21-OCT-2022, 23:59 UTC+2/CEST (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord.

Song Provider: EatMe
Song Name and Length: Shift, 4:29 min
Song Information: 130 BPM / Signature: 4/4
File Format: WAV, 48kHz, 24bit

GENRE: House / Trance

Preview of the Song (Demo Mix):
phpBB [media]

(mirror on Archive.org)

Mirror:
phpBB [media]

(mirror on Mix Challenge, released under (CC) BY-NC-ND Music by EatMe - www . eatme . pro, mirrored file will be removed after game has ended)

INFORMATION: This version might sound different from the provided multi-tracks.

A word from the song provider:
EatMe wrote:This production is an answer to a song I remember from my childhood. It has not much to do with that original song, but it features the same modulation from a sus4 chord to a regular chord as basis for the more extended turnarounds of this sus4 in the chord scheme.

Made to both relax and dance on, for in between the living room and dance floor, like many of the productions by EatMe.

Also to serve as a one-hit wonder, not to have any songs alike by the artist (perhaps), with a very simple chord scheme.

What can be problematic in the mix is how to keep it dynamic without making it a full-blown maximum volume appearance. Maybe more excessive gain staging and reverberation and panning tools to create spacing. Also, perhaps to not introduce full volume on start and after more silent parts, as this may be too impressive on loud volume. Creative effect module use is possible, as long as it fits the mix.

Examples of reference songs:
Underworld - Rez (link to video on Youtube)
Transa - Supernova (link to video on Youtube)

(more technical details in the Mix Pack bundled TXTs)

A few words by the Mix Challenge staff:
Mister Fox wrote:"Shift" is an interesting electronic production, that sounds simple, yet has a lot going on regarding sound layers. And this will be the biggest challenge this month: to handle these layers in such a way, that they still sound distinct, yet not mud up the overall frequency range. You guessed it, the solution here might be proper filtering, modulation effects and side-chaining to put these sounds into their corresponding area.

First, I'd check if you need to adjust the phase of the two kicks, which during half of the production actually work as one unit. Do not adjust the pitch of the drums / percussive elements - the files are great as is. Build upon what has been given to you.

Other than that, the track might be a bit bare-bones. I can't speak for you, but in order to clean up the production, placing certain sounds and/or make them feel "moving", I'd utilize various automation and modulation tricks. I'd even go ahead and try to create transitions here and there with "reversed" reverb, as there are no traditional changeover effects like a crash cymbal or a woosh.

However, I would only add enough to make things exciting, while not drifting off too much from the original concept. Here is where your gut instinct comes in. It is your task to create an outstanding mix based upon what has been given to you (not copy 1:1), that also translates well to any possible playback environment. All while not exceeding our known rule set parameters. (again: a possible follow-up mastering is not to "compress more", but to keep things in check for the definite distribution medium -- e.g. Vinyl for a club).

Three references I can think of:

Trentemoller - Polar Shift (2005)
Komytea - Kanyon (Dirt Crew mix) (2007)
BT - Nocturnal Transmission (1995, due to it's "playful" sound)

Have fun mixing.

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below. There you can find more information about the individual files and changes to the time signature.

Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
  • try to create a mix that complements this production (in your own style)
  • the focus of this game is "mixing" - NO MASTERING. dit/Mix in such a way, that barely any after-touches other than proper fade in/out and finalizing for distribution (incl. loudness adjustments e.g. for release on Streaming, Vinyl, Tape, CD) is needed for a possible follow-up mastering step.
  • Clean / Alternative versions can be used if you need more flexibility over a certain sound (if present for this production)
  • make the best out of the provided audio material (EQ, compression, transient tools, etc), no "drum sample triggering / replacement", neither any changes to the arrangement (copy/add/move/remove parts)! (unless otherwise stated)
  • please only provide WAV files, files need to be accessible/downloadable from your preferred cloud storage space (no SoundCloud, WeTransfer or similar!)
  • render the edited material in the same sampling rate and bitrate as originally provided (MC088 / October => 48/24)
  • ADD-ON RULES - PRODUCTION RELATED:
    • Filename Template: MC088__EatMe__Shift__ForumUsername.wav
    • no (more) add-on rules specified
Please consult the official Rules and Guidelines for a more detailed set of rules, including how to document your edits, maximum loudness values and delivery formats (see Rule Book - Post #6). Failing to adhere to the rules will result in disqualification. There will be no additional reminders given.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE FILES:

Main Mix Package - full package (925,45 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)
IMPORTANT NOTE: download window might show a smaller file size, file unavailable after 21-OCT-2022

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression (specs from 2015).
File size extracted: 1775,17 MB, packed 925,45 MB (ZIP, LZMA)

In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs / apps:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here / please take note of the file extraction guide

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Mix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

If you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months:
Please consider supporting us

Got an interesting production and want to become a Song Provider?
Check in with the Song Pool campaign and reach out

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Mix Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Acon Digital is kind enough to give away a single plugin of winner's choice (exception: Verberate Immersive)
License will turn into NFR
More info on Acon Digital: https://acondigital.com/

Hornet Plugins is kind enough to give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: https://www.hornetplugins.com/

IK Multimedia is kind enough to give away one license of T-RackS Tape Machine Collection to the winner
More info on IK Multimedia: https://www.ikmultimedia.com

Metric Halo is kind enough to give away a single plugin of winner's choice
More info about Metric Halo: https://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/

NOS Audio is kind enough to give away one license of NOS Roomer to the winner
More info on NOS Audio: https://www.nosaudio.com/

NUGEN Audio is kind enough to give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on NUGEN Audio: https://nugenaudio.com/

Tone2 is kind enough to donate a license of Ultraspace to the winner
More info on Tone2: https://tone2.com

THANKS FOR THE LICENSE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on mix plugins, bundles and the likes), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
rvalle

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Submissions until 21-10-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by rvalle »

Nice tune! :cool: :love:
Really loved the modulations, which bring about different moods in the course of the tune. I'm sure it will be a joy mix it. Thanks :phones:
dfixmusic

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Submissions until 21-10-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by dfixmusic »

Hi!

Kick 1 and 2 was made a light equalization in which the frequencies were removed around 300Hz. Compression with 2-3ms attack. On the second Kick, I applied a transient shaper from KH where I raised the sustain and release. I assembled a group of drums and did Glue compression and equalisation.

Bass tuned with a kick on the VU meter, again removed the frequencies around 300Hz and made SC from the kick. Compressed with LA2A and 1176.

SY gathered in a group, built a balance. Used quite a bit of EQ. Compression everywhere with 1176, with Ratio 4-all. depending on the synth. Sends to

channels dbx160+API550, Saturn 2. Also reverb

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oIQW8e ... sp=sharing
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

Nice to see different genres in here!

Drums:
eq to taste, transient designer to tighten up certain elements, added subliminal delay to the hi-hat to accentuate the groove
added phaser to the open hi-hat for subliminal movement, filter and reverb automation in certain areas to spice up the arrangement,
(as mentioned in the txt file from the song provider - changes are appropriate if it fits the track), snare hits with reverb

Bass:
monomaker till 300 Hz, eq and multiband compression for control and tone, some automations in parts, sidechain from the kick

Synths:
lots of light automation, eq for tonal balances, reverb for texture, no compression on synths as the dynamics contribute to the feel

(Sub-) Groups
sidechain for movement, little bit of eq and sweetening

Mixbus:
DMG Multiplicity comp for control, Ivory5 for tone, Jade2 comp for a touch of glue and Pro-L2 to catch peaks

Link to my mix:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uxlOiu ... sp=sharing
MartialFromentin

Post by MartialFromentin »

Hello,

Explanations below, sorry for the english, I try to do my best ;-)

Before anything else : frequencies cleaning, gain staging, stereo panning.

The 2 kick tracks have been duplicated to get 2 components for each kick :
- fundamental and pressure point (only low frequencies, at around 70 Hz) : LPF at around 600 Hz;
- noises and harmonics ("snap" sound) : attenuation at around 70 Hz, cut at around 600 Hz, boost at around 5/6 kHz;
Compression after transient on the 2 "snap kicks" to make them dryer.

Transient shaper on the snare tu add some punch.

Drums bus :
- parallel compression to have a light pumping effect, to add some groove;
- soft clipper/transient shaper to add some punch;
- analog eq (boost at around 70 Hz, boost at around 5/6 kHz, high freq. attenuation);
- saturation on the mid and high frequencies to bring some life and some glue, but keeping the kick clean.

Bass synths bus :
- compression and saturation (Distressor).

Synths bus :
- stereo vari-mu bus compressor (670 style), light gain reduction, only to add some glue;
- analog eq (mainly mid and high freq. boost);
- tube saturation to add some warmth.

Automations :
- LPF automation on the snare for a progressive ambiance (song's beginning and end);
- panning automations on some synths to create movement;
- volume automations.

Reverbs :
- Drums reverb (snare and hihats);
- Synths reverb (a few tracks only).
All reverbs are sent to a bus reverb, with a mid/side eq : mid high freq. attenuation, side high freq. little boost, to push the reverb aside and keep the mid cleaner.

Mix bus :
- very light stereo bus compressor (SSL bus comp.) to add some glue;
- Pultec eq for the last tone control;
- Tape saturation to add some warmth.

Sub bus :
- the 2 low freq. kicks are sent to this bus, with a subfrequencies generator to make the kick really stronger.

Master bus :
- the mix bus and the sub bus are sent to the master bus with a mid/side eq : side HPF at around 200 Hz to force the extreme low frequencies to stay in the mid (removed from side);
- peak : around -6dBFS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xHyFU2 ... sp=sharing
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Submissions until 21-10-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Okay, let me step in before things go out of hand:

@Ronson79
Please check in with Post #01 regarding the filename template.

:arrow: For everyone reading along:
I have announced this in MC087 already, there is a filename template for a reason. As of MC089 (December, if I can manage to set it up), whoever strays form using that template will be "tagged disqualified" for not adhering to this "minor detail". It really is that simple: copy, paste, replace ForumUsername with your own, done.

I will not disqualify users this month, but I will point that out at the end of Mix Round 1 for everyone that deviates. So please take this as a final warning. I will make an official announcement throughout Calendar Week 40.

@MartialFromentin
First and foremost, welcome to the forum. I take it you've read the Rules and Guidelines for the Mix(ing) Challenge? Technically, I have to take your second submission as re-submission, and you would therefore be disqualified. This was not a good move.

Since you're new, I am making a rare exception, grant you a grace period and consider this as "bonus info, not relevant" and will delete your post in question. Your submission from 03-OCT-2022 14:25 CEST is already on my HDD and will count as main entry.

Please adhere to the given Rule Book.
rvalle

Post by rvalle »

Ronson79 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:22 CEST

Link to my mix:
Great mix! Beatiful work on transitions!
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

rvalle wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 15:52 CEST
Ronson79 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:22 CEST

Link to my mix:
Great mix! Beatiful work on transitions!
Thank you very much! I practice mixing a lot over the last month. It seems to work out more and more. But songs with heavy rock guitars are still a kind of struggle. It´s never fully satisfying how they sit in a mix. Fortunately this wasn´t the challenge this month. :grin:
alanvaldez
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by alanvaldez »

Hi! That was a fun song to mix.

Kick: I used Neutron 4 to boost some hi mid freq and to eliminate some resonance /N4 multiband compressor and small amount of saturation then I used Kilohearts Disperser to give some flavour to the kick, and then Melda Production Mutility just to do some volume automation.
Kick 2 I used kind of the same procedure just changed the frequency used on the Kilohearts Disperser to another armonic, just to try to conect them both, then used the Melda Production MRhytmizer as a gate to eliminate some low tail frequencies that the DIsperser created, then N4 gate and MTility to do some volume automation.
Snare: Used MAutoalign on both snare tracks used Neutron 4 eq and both compressors as paralel, and the Kilohearts Transient Shaper to give more life to the snare.
Snare2: This is where things get interesting... I used the Melda MNoiseGenerator to ad some white noise to the snare in paralel, every time the snare sounds it triggers the sound dynamically.
then both snares were send to an fx track and used Symphony 3D as my main reverb.
Hi Hat: N4, Polyverse Wider.
Snap: N4 eq, and multiband transient shaper, exiter and Symphony 3D reverb.
E Piano: Accon Digital De-Clip, it sounded kind of noisy so I decided to fix something that wasn´t working well to me, MAutoStereoFix, N4 basic eq and compress, Polyverse Gatekeeper to add kind of a sidechain fx, and N4 Unmask sidechained to the Piano-Fortisimo, just a small amount to conect the pieces.
Piano- Fortisimo: N4, Melda Production MAutoPan, and Symphony 3D.
Harp and Flute: N4, Melda Production MAutoPan, and Symphony 3D. both Melda MAutoPan are working differently to ensure both aren´t in the same side.
Super Wave P8: Mautostereofix, Acon Digital De-Clip, Neutron 4, Mautopan.
_SY77_8bpianoalt: N4, N4 Unmask, Mautopan.
Synth1alt: Used an unnamed beta thing :hihi: /Kilohearts Non linear filter and Neutron compressor.
Synth1_bass1alt: Neutron Unmask, N4 Basic eq compression and saturation, Melda Production MsaturatorMB and MUtility to do some volume automations.
Synth1_bass2alt: Mautostereofix, Neutron 4 eq and compression.
_MauSynth1_leadalt: N4 eq, Melda Production MBandPass, Melda Production Mxxx I just experimented with some stereo generator fx and some delay

Master buss: Brainworks Townhouse / Ozone Maximizer just to level a little bit the mix to obtain the desired output, not doing any gain reduction.

Insight 2 just to check the levels.

Sometimes I use Spectralayers 9 Pro, Izotope Rx 10 Advanced or Melodyne 5 Studio to fix small things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eFwvox ... sp=sharing
Last edited by alanvaldez on Sat Oct 08, 2022 04:34 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Metal Musician Certified by Steinberg with a degree in Classical guitar, I love to use Cubase / Nuendo and make noise.
:phones:
http://equipboard.com/alan_valdez