2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for PMing me.
All license requests have been addressed.
Davias

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Davias »

EatMe wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 13:54 CET
2. Davias
This mix is very well done. A lot of creative effect use. Good gainstaging in the intro.
I like the punch in the (compression of the) kick drum and the bass synth.
The octaver on the synth tracks somehow made the track sound too different from the original,
it could have been mixed in more subtly, now it almost completely replaces the original synth.
The open hihat sounds just a little bit muffled.
Thanks for your review ! I was afraid my bass wasn't clear enough.
About the synth track (I guess the Harp one) I wanted to specify I didn't use an octaver but I spectral compressed the mid band (band splitting before). I agree I maybe did put it too loud at the end (I wanted to gate it to make it plucky but it was a bit too much work for me ^^ ).
Agreed on the hihat, I always struggle to set them right (either too loud or too quiet).

Cheers.
Mixing : Reaper, Reason 12, Mixbus 32C 6.2, Cakewalk, Mixcraft 9, Samplitude
Producing : FL Studio, Reason 12, Renoise, Waveform
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

EatMe wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 13:54 CET
3. Alberto Godinez / maxovrdrive
Another beautiful mix. Some of the original grooves have changed, overall the mix sounds very good.
The mix sounds very vivid, bright, and not too much. A nice balanced mix.
You can also nicely hear each separate element in the mix.
Love the way the snare is treated.
Thank you for choosing my mix.

Which grooves did I somehow change? I just wanted to keep the song going...

If there was a round 3, what would you have suggested I do? What could I have done to better the mix?

Thanks for your time.
EatMe

Post by EatMe »

maxovrdrive wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:27 CET

If there was a round 3, what would you have suggested I do? What could I have done to better the mix?

Thanks for your time.
You're welcome.

The division of tempo became a bit more accentuated in the divisions (3) counting on the bass (also because of the effects on the bass)
and the 3 and 4 counting divisions on the synthesizer. I think you maybe added a little volume ramping? It works out really well.
That is why I said that the original groove has changed, because the impression of the rhythmic division is different.
The song keeps going well in your mix.

I would not have any more suggestions for your mix, I can only say that there were two mixes that had (even) better overall impressions and sound color and balance between the elements in the mix. As you can see from the EQ comparision in post #093, the winning mix by Andrey Benassi has an overall EQ spectrum that is almost the same for each frequency, with just a little cut on 1K and in the low mid and in the subbass, and it is really good on the ears, it does not sound too loud or soft on any element. Also, the clarity and pronounciation, defenition of each element, the balance between elements in the mix is simply sounding better in the mixes by Davias and Andrey Benassi. That does not make your entry bad or needing change, you were simply outcompetited. Your mix is good as it is.

Thank you for participating. I am very happy with the mixes that got sent in.
alavault

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC088 October 2022 - Winners announced

Post by alavault »

Thanks EatMe for the opportunity to mix your song.
Also, thank you for choosing my mix for round 2. Your feedback is a very valuable tool for learning.
See you all next time !
Antoine
maxovrdrive

Post by maxovrdrive »

EatMe wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 14:29 CET
maxovrdrive wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:27 CET

Thanks for your time.
You're welcome.

The division of tempo became a bit more accentuated in the divisions (3) counting on the bass (also because of the effects on the bass)
and the 3 and 4 counting divisions on the synthesizer. I think you maybe added a little volume ramping? It works out really well.
That is why I said that the original groove has changed, because the impression of the rhythmic division is different.
The song keeps going well in your mix.

I would not have any more suggestions for your mix, I can only say that there were two mixes that had (even) better overall impressions and sound color and balance between the elements in the mix. As you can see from the EQ comparision in post #093, the winning mix by Andrey Benassi has an overall EQ spectrum that is almost the same for each frequency, with just a little cut on 1K and in the low mid and in the subbass, and it is really good on the ears, it does not sound too loud or soft on any element. Also, the clarity and pronounciation, defenition of each element, the balance between elements in the mix is simply sounding better in the mixes by Davias and Andrey Benassi. That does not make your entry bad or needing change, you were simply outcompetited. Your mix is good as it is.

Thank you for participating. I am very happy with the mixes that got sent in.
Thank you very much for your insights. It's not easy to work with these parameters. It is important in my workflow, especially towards the tail end of mixing that I communicate with the producer often... to dial in their vision for the mix. It is not often easy to decipher the comments of the producer when moving to R2 if you're lucky enough to make the cut.

In any case, more power to you. Hope to catch you again as a song provider for Mix Challenge. Thank you very much.
PistolPete

Post by PistolPete »

Congrats to this months winners!

Special Thank you to @EatMe for bringing your song to the contests!

Thank you @Mister Fox for hosting such a great site and contest!
EatMe

Post by EatMe »

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 04:46 CET
Congrats to this months winners!

Special Thank you to @EatMe for bringing your song to the contests!

Thank you @Mister Fox for hosting such a great site and contest!
I appreciate a lot that I even get Special Thank You's.

Thank you all, once again.
EatMe

Post by EatMe »

The mini-album release is still awaiting information..

from
@doobop
to include your mix. This also means there is *no permission* for Doobop to share their mix (yet).

see post #096..

If your response is not in time I will move on and not release this unaccreditable mix.
If your response is in time they will be included in the free mini-album.

To present soon: a free mini-album with Round 2 mixes.

Flipping on the seaside!
Last edited by EatMe on Wed Nov 16, 2022 21:47 CET, edited 1 time in total.
zajus

Post by zajus »

Congrats to the winners, I am proud to be just below the podium among such talented mixers :)

Thanks @EatMe and @Mister Fox for the opportunity to join the challenge.

Stepan