2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Michael_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Michael_K »

Hello everybody!
Here is my second round mix:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7iAUa ... ADNVU/view

It was a very interesting challenge to judge how creatine to get with the mix while at the same time preserving the great vibe of the track.
I used a lot of detailed automation on the groups (drums, bass, guitars, main vox, back vox, scream vox).
I automated the combination of levels and amount of compression attempting to make it more lively.
I also tried to clean up the vocals a bit more to hopefully add more body and presence.
Cheers, and good luck to everyone!
itsmorefuntocompute
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by itsmorefuntocompute »

Hello @Rawkinron et al

Thanks again for having me be a part of round 2!

Here is my submission with changes made based on your notes.
ITSMOREFUNTOCOMPUTE - CHECK YOUR VOCAL LEVELING. I FELT YOU HAD SOME SPOTS THAT ARE EITHER COMPRESSED TOO HARD OR ARE SITTING BACK A BIT TOO FAR.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JHgxcO ... sp=sharing

I went through and re-recorded volume automation for both lead and background vocals.
I also worked to give the backgrounds during the chorus a bit more space/vibe.

After making these adjustments I felt the guitars and some of the bass needed to help fill the gap, so there was some minor tweaks to levels and some eq and hp filter adjustmetns to help fill things out.

Best of luck to everyone! A lot of creative and talented engineering here!
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Glad to be in round two !

Did some fine adjustments to get "better" balance.
Exposed bass guitar and vocals a bit more.
Added panning automation for send reverb on guitars for additional subtle excitement.
Changed the guitar "stereo treatment" from pitch and delay to moving the segments on doubled track (from the Mike Seniors book "Mixing secrects for the small studio").

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f9b6sW ... share_link

All the best !
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Mister Fox »

It's the 21st January 2023, 00:20 (UTC+1) - the 2nd Mix Round has officially ended.

STATISTICS
  • Unfortunately, not everyone has sent in an edit (missing: @EKVelika, @hjchjc, @Johnny11771, @Mork)
  • We have 0 Wild Card uses to advance into the next round (no user listed -- not present this month)
  • We have 2 participant that decided on not to advance through the use of a Wild Card (@EKVelika, @Johnny11771)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline

Please check your upload links again, and have an eye on this thread for more feedback and a possible Mix Round 3, or an announcement of the final results.

I'm now opening up the room (again) for Q&A's and giving each other feedback (which is highly encouraged)

Please check out all other games on the community. The Songwriting Competition is still in full swing. :tu:
Please also consider becoming a Song Provider - no more material means no more Mix(ing) Challenges

See you on the flipside.
Rawkinron

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Rawkinron »

Good evening MIX CHALLENGE!

My decision goes as follows,

1st place - Christoph_K
2nd place - itsmorefuntocompute
3rd place - Hoek Rev.2

Thanks to all of the contestants for sending in a mix. I think the outcome was amazing and everyone did a great job in fulfilling my requests on the second mix but ultimately I had to pick a top three. Christoph_k in my opinion had the hardest hitting mix, most impactful and engaging mix out of the group. Itsmorefuntocompute also having another great mix as the runner up along side of Hoek Rev.2. All contestants are able to use their mix for social media and other platforms as long as it says it the unofficial mix and you advertise the band. As for the Winner we would also like to advertise your mix on our social platforms as an added thank you for such an outstanding job!

So long and happy mixing!
Christoph_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation

Post by Christoph_K »

A big thanks to @Rawkinron for voting my mix on the first place. I appreciate being mentioned on your social media channels big time!

Congrats to @itsmorefuntocompute and @Hoek!

I choose MasterCheck by NUGEN as my plugin this time.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

First and foremost, congratulations to the winners!
We are ending the game here and do not go into Mix Round 3.

The Winners Podium is
1) @Christoph_K
2) @itsmorefuntocompute
3) @Hoek

We perform with the usual - in order of the winners podium, please select one license out of the pool and mention it in this thread, then (important) get in touch with me via PM with your full name, email address and your plugin selection. If one company has been selected, it's not available for the rest of the podium anymore.

I'll update the "winners podium" thread shortly.

Thanks again for your participation. You can leave the thread alive if you want to exchange tips/tricks, edits, etc.
And thank you @Rawkinron for the final words of feedback and encouragement.

See you on the flipside.
itsmorefuntocompute
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Post by itsmorefuntocompute »

Thanks to @Rawkinron for the kind words and the awarding of second place. Also, congrats to @Christoph_K and @Hoek as well!

I will select the IK Multimedia T-RackS Tape Machine Collection.
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

Thanks to @Rawkinron for the song and congrats to the top 3 !
Hoek

Post by Hoek »

Woohaa, thanx y'all!

Big applause for @itsmorefuntocompute and @Christoph_K
Congrats and great job on great mixes!

And thanks for hosting and sharing your tracks, @Rawkinron
and arranging and moderating, @Mister Fox

The rest of you aswell of course, we forever has this song in common now! :phones:

I choose Acon digital, Verberate 2 as my award, thank you very much! :tu:

All the best!
/H