2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Michael_K

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Michael_K »

Thanks @Rawkinron for choosing my mix for round 2!!
Because it’s a competition I can’t tell you exactly where they are but there are two spots.
I am pretty sure the point of this mix challenge to be specific about revisions just as if you were a client communicating with a professional mixer.
I could be wrong however.
Rawkinron

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 2 until until 20-JAN-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Rawkinron »

ok great! So check out:

Guitars @ 0:52 and 1:52 ever so slightly. Are they being sped up and slowed down during the mix or is that like a palm mute effect that was thrown in? Also at 2:02 there is 100% something going on sounds like a hiccup from the singer the way it was done maybe there's something in the stem that wasn't cut out? I must of been thinking of another mix when I said overheads sorry about that.
Rawkinron

Post by Rawkinron »

I wouldn't worry too much about the guitars I may be crazy and think I just need more sleep but fix up the spot at 2:02 because that defiantly sticks out to me. Like I say other than that you have a solid mix. I really think you did an amazing job on it.
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

Actually I would've been interested in getting some feedback why mix didn't make it into round 2. But then I just read some of the feedbacks for the round 2 choice ... for example:
MICHAEL K - GREAT CAPTURE OF THE ORIGIONAL MIX BUT BE MORE CREATIVE

MORK - ANOTHER GREST CAPTURE OF THE ORIGIONAL MIX BUT THIS IS A COMPETITION PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
I mean ... what? :headscratch:

Anyway I had fun mixing this. Great song. Although the drums sounded a bit artificial to me (programmed?).
TomImmon

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by TomImmon »

Rawkinron wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:20 CET

TOMIMMON - I FEEL THE GUITARS ARE A LITTLE OFF BALANCE. CHECK THAT OUT, BUT BESIDES THAT GREAT JOB WITH THE USE OF THE VOCAL STEMS. LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING HOW YOU FINISH THE MIX
Hi,
thanks a lot for giving me the chance to optimize my mix for round 2 :-).
Can you please clarify a bit what you mean with "off balance"? Stereo balance L/R or level balance between the different git tracks (e.g. which should be more emphasized)?
Greetings
Tom
Rawkinron

Post by Rawkinron »

Hi Tom, when I play your mix it sounds like I have a cottonball in my right ear. I think you need to add more level to the right side.
Rawkinron

Post by Rawkinron »

m_tree wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 02:28 CET
Actually I would've been interested in getting some feedback why mix didn't make it into round 2. But then I just read some of the feedbacks for the round 2 choice ... for example:
MICHAEL K - GREAT CAPTURE OF THE ORIGIONAL MIX BUT BE MORE CREATIVE

MORK - ANOTHER GREST CAPTURE OF THE ORIGIONAL MIX BUT THIS IS A COMPETITION PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
I mean ... what? :headscratch:

Anyway I had fun mixing this. Great song. Although the drums sounded a bit artificial to me (programmed?).
Yes, like the introduction stated the drums had to be programmed and at the time this was a school project so there are things in the original mix I probably wouldn't do today if I was to remix it. Considering the 15 selected have another chance to make it the best mix they can make I've suggested that they be more creative for round 2. Is there something wrong with that? I didn't say the mixes were bad at all, in fact I said they were both a great capture of the original mix. At the end of the day though the guys that have added features which the original doesn't have are going to have the advantage on the creativity side of things than the ones who did not. I did also say to be creative with the guitars, drums and vocals during the introduction to the challenge. if you want feedback on your mix then simply just send me a private message and like everyone else that has asked I will listen again and give feedback.
alavault

Post by alavault »

To @Rawkinron,
For fairness between all R2 participants, please provide extensive and non-ambiguous feedback.
While the task may seem daunting, you are competent enough to provide the needed information to get our mixes to the standard you expect from us.
Thanks.
LnMStudio

Post by LnMStudio »

Thank you for the opportunity to mix INFERNO, If you ever have a minute I would love some feedback. Are we allowed to use our version on SoundCloud even though we are out?

GOOD LUCK to everyone in Round 2!!!
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

@Rawkinron
I know the main point is always taste - presupposed a certain (technical) quality of the mix, of course. And that's fine!

But I think there're some misunderstandings here. A 'capture of the original mix' would rather be a mastering of the original mix than a stand-alone mix from scratch with the rough multitrack (which includes DI-tracks as well). With a 'capture of the original mix' it wouldn't be possible to be creative at all.

Anyway ... thanks for the opportunity again and good luck to all R2 participants.