2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC35 August 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
donkey tugger

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC35 August 2017 - Winners announced

Post by donkey tugger »

Mork wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 18:24 CEST

I really have to give some sparkling stars to donkey tugger for just going for it. The mix makes sense in itself and despite its "problems" just creates a completely different, oddworldly vibe (and manages to make an acoustic kick feel like a 909 :grin: ). Although it might be too much for this production I just enjoyed the creativity. What did you do to the synths? I love those filter sweeps!

Hehe, cheers. I thought I'd (oddly for me given that my usual thing is indie rock sort of stuff) use a minimum amount of the room mix of the drums and then compress the buggery out of the individual drums and the overall submix to try and get an almost 'nu-metal' industrial electronic-y sound. Sort of got what I was after...The synths were mostly put through varying filters - 'fruity love filter' and my favourite, the plug n mix 'moogy filter' - that thing is nuts! Also used a lot of detuning/auto panning.

I thought you were a very worthy winner by the way. Your mix was my favourite (after my own oddity of course... :hihi: ) - very powerful!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Since Mork picked up Acon Digital DeFilter, MedII can pick up TwoNotes. I will forward the requests ASAP.

That leaves Coiled Ear with a free selection
Mork
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by Mork »

MedII wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 18:49 CEST
I did not use the rooms' tracks and I regenerated the environment by Altiverb's recording studio Altiverb. The rest is equalization and compression.
Ah ok, must have been the Altiverb. The original room tracks were kind of strange. I still used them somehow but put my own stuff on top.
MedII wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 18:49 CEST
The podium has been very Spanish. Yo también soy español.

Un abrazo. Cheers.
Actually I'm german but have been to Dénia with my girlfriend for a week. Nice!
Now I'm sitting here back home in Hamburg, enjoying the fact that I don't have to feel bad about sitting in front of the computer the whole day because it's just raining. :grin:
donkey tugger wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 19:48 CEST
I thought you were a very worthy winner by the way. Your mix was my favourite (after my own oddity of course... :hihi: ) - very powerful!
Thanks a million!
I have to try this P&M filter you mentioned, since I am really lacking a good sounding analog-style filter. I tried the one by Stillwell but never got used to it.

Cheers
Mork
Coiled_Ear

Post by Coiled_Ear »

Hi! Thank you for third place. Little misunderstood about guitars but not much) I choose Acon Restoration Suite, thanks.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Well, most of what I'd say was already said by Mork and DonkeyT. It's hard to give accurate feedback when you're dealing with 20+ songs. I'm not even talking about comparing them against each other and choosing what you consider better. You'd be surprised how much a mix changes when you can actually give yourself some time to reset your ears between listens.

I think it's normal that I noticed things in round 2 that I wasn't even aware on round one. And it's not that unusual to screw up something when you're fixing another problem.
I don't know what would I gain from misleading people on purpose. And wth, I may have given feedback 5 times before like this. Like, to five people :lol:
I did what I could in the circumstances I was. Sure I could've done better. We're all learning here, aren't we? :shrug:

Anyway I totally recommend the experience even if only to understand a little better what's going though the mind of "the client" (and have a better chance at winning!)