2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC02 October 2017 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC02 October 2017 - Submissions until 24-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by FixInTheMix »

Mister Fox wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 05:42 CEST
I think you've got your point across, Tbase2000. (in fact, I removed your last posts)
I kinda want to know what this guy said now. Jesus, what an egomaniac.
Oh and btw I am working on a track but Im having trouble arranging the last and also had 2 blackouts in my neighborhood this week making it impossible for me to record anything. Just a heads up!
Tbase2000

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC02 October 2017 - Submissions until 24-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Tbase2000 »

Lighten up room. The post was to put a fire under some of the people in here to get it in gear. This song competition is a great opportunity to show off your skills, and judging from the last contest, there are great musicians in here. I'd hate to see the contest get cancelled in the future for lack of participation. I can message you FixInTheMix if you need that motivation still. Egomaniac...nah...just trying to make a competition out of it.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It was not just a simple "fire under some of the people". It was more like jumping around the room being like "yeah, I made it, all you other guys suck at this - and I'm allowed to call you out". The follow up posts went a bit further down the drain, and this resulted in a 24 hour penalty (I think in some sports this is called "bad sportsmanship").

Even though the posts are now edited (not by me, I'd make that clear!), I still have screenshots. I guess in the future, I'll quote what has been said and then address the warning. I'm new to this after all.

Other than that - this particular competition won't be canceled because nobody joined. It's a test run - this is why I said "feedback needed" (especially in the Songwriting General Gossip Thread).

I know that there are time constraints for people (I understand your problem, FixInTheMix). You just can't join everything (this is where your personal time management comes in, another learning process). But this is why I made this competition longer than the currently existing ones - in fact, the still missing two ones will have different time frames as well.

Maybe it's this month's theme, maybe it's the genre. Although - this month it is "free to choose". I don't know. No feedback, no way for me to know.

Let's leave it at that.

:arrow: Including today, still 5 days left to create something.
That alone can be a challenge.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

People are sitting on their songs until the very last day in my opinion because they are overly competitive and don't want to show their hand...poker faces. Either that or they are over-thinking the contest. A great idea is better than a perfect track of a bad song. Post it back up if you want. It wasn't that bad. I was the first and only one to post his song this whole month...thus the tbag reference. I surely hope there are better to come. I actually expect there to be. You just didn't get the joke.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I don't think so - and there is even no reason for that as nobody would be able to copy each other. This game is all about creativity. I think they're sitting on the fence, since they have the time to do so, and therefore only submit then at the last minute.

Other than that, I got your references fine. I just didn't find them funny - especially not towards other participants. The warning still remains.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

It's not that they would copy...it's that they don't want to show how good their song is. It's called sand bagging. Doesn't matter. I think I've covered all I want to say here.
Beeble

Post by Beeble »

I think it´s more a time problem than sand bagging. Most here do their songs by themselfes I guess.
If some people working together on one project it should let to a faster release of course.
Maybe on mixing competition it could be helpful to sit on the fence to watch others work first and compare.
I did not really agread with the idea to submit that song as quick just to show of for two reasons: IMO it was not real finished and second:
Nobody would cancel his song writing after 2 weeks work when listen to the first submission.
But i can assure that tbase2000 isn´t an egomaniac! And I think that comunication, language issues and personality could not be objective in such a discussion without knowing each other better.
Let´s all calm down and get the focus back on what we all love and here for.

(i really dislike and hate to write that in english btw;-)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Time management will be an even bigger topic starting in December (when there will be another Challenge!).

You just can't join everything - and you have to learn how to handle that. I can speak from experience in this case as well. I wanted to join several Mix(ing) Challenges in recent months myself (just for fun) - but my freelance work and BTS MIx Challenge work is eating up more and more time for that.

I agree with Beeble - let's focus on "this" challenge and continue the discussion in the Gossip Thread. If not, I'll move the posts over.

And if there is only one submission this month, so be it. Again - test run.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 3 days left to create your production

If you've been sitting on the sidelines so far (which there is absolutely no need to), or you were struggling with time constraints, now is the best time to submit your creation.
Nige

Post by Nige »

I snapped the ball (NOF) off the end of my femur in a skateboarding accident, so I lost a week due to a hospital stay. Should hopefully have something up before the deadline though, fingers crossed.