2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC02 October 2017 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC02 October 2017 - Submissions until 24-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

If you can make it in time, that's great. If not - no problem.

Hope you're on the way of a speedy recovery.
Nige

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC02 October 2017 - Submissions until 24-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CEST

Post by Nige »

Hope you're on the way of a speedy recovery.
Yeah, I guess if you can call not being able to walk for two months 'speedy' :exhausted:

WARNING: CONTAINS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvef0jssyuol5 ... 3.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9wuq254mzkra ... v.wav?dl=0

This is my solo effort SWC02 submission, and tells the story of the Creature From The Black Lagoon, in the sludge/prog-metal style, with a few other musical flavours thrown in the mix for interests sake.
The original concept was to break the song down into 'scenes' that are ever-evolving, with constant forward momentum. The end result being a fairly fast paced, unconventional arrangement.

Recorded/mixed through FL Studio 12, using an M-Audio M Track interface, freshly custom built (by me) Archtop Tele and ESP ltd bass guitar played through Guitar Rig 5.
Vocals sung through an SM58, and drums programmed using Steven Slate Drums.
Various samples SFX pulled from freesound.org
Cheers and good luck.

`Lyrics` A Devonian Nightmare

Beware that thing you seek
"his eyes are dark, his blood runs cold"
Long reigns in murky deep
"with fangs of sharp and cunning mind"
Men from his slumber wake
"the foolish deeds of greedy mind"
The price you must now pay
"given in blood, just to appease"

Jungle's eyes come alive
And stare into your soul

Down in the deep there lives a legend of the man-fish

FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

Down in the deep, a sacred legend of a gill-man

IN THE BLACK LAGOON

Behold what lay beneath, this creature from a black lagoon
What is this creation?
A blending of man and devonian being

But man come to take him away
And men die, as beauty follows
She's swims into the deep
Forbidden fruit in this lost oasis

I am watching you now
Feeling your heart beating
I am right here reaching out for your
Skin so pale like moonlight
You glide through the murky light
Look and see
Now we are becoming one and the same

No one's gonna believe unless we bring it home
Bring the motherfucker home
Bring the motherfucker home

Science must prevail

No one would have believed had we not captured this scaled beast
This ancient prize was lost to time
Drug him, cage him
How must they perceive this killer

LOCKED UP HUMAN CAGE CONTAIN ME NEVER

Hang on in
Wait on
Head home

LOCKED UP HUMAN CAGE WON'T HOLD ME NOW

Hang on in
Wait on
Head home

WATCH ME AS I DISAPPEAR

Now you come seek me
Down in my sanctuary
Weak man-weapons to pierce me
I'll drag you down 'till you can't breath

You're in my lair X3
You shoot me down

Bullets that strike the scale
"from firesticks of simple beings"
Fish-Man shall surely sink
"his eyes are dark, blood still runs cold"
Last of his kind has gone
"fifteen million years to the day"
The humans go marching on...
"They'll slay them all 'till none remain"
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Now that was quick, I'm impressed. Expected worse regarding lyrics actually, but it's fine.

Feedback desired by all participants of the SWC02:
I'd like to direct your attention to the Feedback on Songwriting Competition rule set thread. There is a new rule addition proposal where I'd like to get some feedback on.

Thanks in advance.
Nige

Post by Nige »

Mister Fox wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 18:18 CEST
Now that was quick, I'm impressed. Expected worse regarding lyrics actually, but it's fine.
Just to be clear, I was already 90% finished before I had my accident, I'm not a superhuman songwriter or anything like that :wink:
Tbase2000 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 17:19 CEST
I was the first and only one to post his song this whole month...thus the tbag reference. I surely hope there are better to come. I actually expect there to be. You just didn't get the joke.
Let's just remember, had I not written your guitar and drum tracks in a timely fashion (ahead of my own song actually), and had you still been waiting on them, I'm pretty sure you'd be singing a different tune (excuse the pun) right about now.
If you took all that energy you used worrying about what others are doing, and focused it on your own songwriting, you wouldn't have needed my help at all.
A little humility goes a long way, this being especially true when you take into account you were only a co-contributor in the first place.
I guess since you've deleted your submission it's a mute point about now, but it kind of makes your whole thread history in here seem rather ridiculous.
You're a good guy Tbase2000, but you really rustled my jimmies on this one by scrubbing your entry.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

Sure didn't mean for your panties to get all bunched up. I don't like the last judge rule change either since you asked. Maybe if you brought in a couple of music business related judges it would give the competition a little star power and give the contestants a feeling of being heard. I write music to be heard...not to win. Think your all missing my point about people sand bagging to try to win a competition vs submitting your work for the fun of it. All I keep hearing is that this is a competition...win win win. You've already lost with that attitude. Enjoy a big cup of tea and Try again next month.
Nige

Post by Nige »

WTF is your point exactly Tbase2000, because I hear you throw it around in every other comment like you're smarter than everyone else, and yet I'm left scratching my head every time you post?
I'm beginning to think the "egomaniac" comment wasn't that far off the mark after all.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

Easy on those pain killers champ. I'll give you a pass for calling me out in public. Get well soon.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Nige wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 09:06 CEST
I guess since you've deleted your submission it's a mute point about now, but it kind of makes your whole thread history in here seem rather ridiculous.
Wait, he did WHAT?!

*checks*

... yes, he removed his entry.

First, he barks up the tree of other participants to "be too scared to join", sitting in trenches and what have you, while he was figuratively running around with his pants down, "t-bagging" people. And then he ultimately gets so annoyed about a rule proposal and further slow participation, that he removes his entry because it's "about the fun, not the way too much focus of it being a contest".

One one hand, he doesn't want this particular game to fade away, yet with his recent actions, he does not realize what damage he has done.

I'm... actually lost for further words right now. :scared:

Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 13:03 CEST
don't like the last judge rule change either since you asked. Maybe if you brought in a couple of music business related judges it would give the competition a little star power and give the contestants a feeling of being heard.
For your clarification (and this actually belongs to the other thread), I proposed this in case of a less-than-four participation. Now imagine what happened with SWC01 - where all of you newcomers and collaborators dominated the field. Who tells me that you do not(!) talk to each other behind the scenes and decide who ultimately made this game's round?

This is where a vote by the staff would shift the field in favor for a more objective result.

Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 13:03 CEST
I write music to be heard...not to win. Think your all missing my point about people sand bagging to try to win a competition vs submitting your work for the fun of it. All I keep hearing is that this is a competition...win win win. You've already lost with that attitude. Enjoy a big cup of tea and Try again next month.
No. You're missing the point of this page.

It's still about having fun. The licenses to win are pure bonus - not the main incentive. One incentive could be seen as "if you made it, your production might be features again in an upcoming other challenge" (see this news announcement). This particular game has an additional purpose other than "show your creativity", and be a balance to those that are not(!) as capable in the mixing realm. Then again, you have to balance it out a bit, because this page is just one among many all over the web.

Either way - you're not(!) forced to pick up anything. In fact, Nige dominated the field last month, and he was like "sorry - I'm good!". You(!) were the one who wrote instantly "I'm taking all, thanks" - and you made third place! Furthermore, I changed the rule set for SWC01 in favor for more collaboration and participation (in other words, in favor for people like you), and you still ignored half of the "Rules & Guidelines".

This is how you react/respond now?! Are you serious with this?

Tbase2000 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 14:06 CEST
Easy on those pain killers champ. I'll give you a pass for calling me out in public. Get well soon.
I've warned you before - you're now getting the second warning.

From your perspective, I'd really think about what to do next. Especially considering your thread history so far, and probably scaring off other participants in the process. I am definitely not okay with this outcome so far. :grudge:

:arrow: To all others hopefully still reading along:

DO NOT be scared off. The Songwriting Challenge will continue to exist. If this month's theme was not your cup of tea, maybe it will be next month. Though if you have a theme and/or genre request, please let me know in the General Gossip Thread.

Thank you. And a huge apology for what happened so far.
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

You've been talking down to me this entire time and yes I am serious. If you don't understand something ask somebody. If you don't know who your talking to...ask somebody. If you address me directly expect a response.
Beeble

Post by Beeble »

still more than 10h left..time enough for another submission..just tangled in that fence here..ready to jump down just in time i hope. :hidecouch: