2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC37 October 2017 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Coiled_Ear

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC37 October 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 29-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Coiled_Ear »

Sorry, fese, but i thought you should give us this instruction ( Call it vintage, if you like. Not too bright and modern) at the start of Challenge, not (a big spacious sound without being artificial, a lush but natural sound). Vintage sound never was spacious and lush. However - nothing personal) We are all different people.
fese

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC37 October 2017 - Mix Round 2 until 29-10-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by fese »

Arthur Labus wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 23:43 CEST
PS: Could i post my mix as part of my portfolio on Soundcloud ?
I have no problem with that. The collaboration (starting with the lyrics) was released under a "All rights reserved" license on kompoz, but I asked my collaborators for permission to use it for this contest, and they were OK with it.
So I think if you make clear that the song was part of this mix challenge and put a link to the challenge and the original project page on kompoz (https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaboration/659459) it should be fine.
Last edited by fese on Wed Oct 25, 2017 16:10 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
fese

Post by fese »

Coiled_Ear wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:00 CEST
Sorry, fese, but i thought you should give us this instruction ( Call it vintage, if you like. Not too bright and modern) at the start of Challenge, not (a big spacious sound without being artificial, a lush but natural sound). Vintage sound never was spacious and lush. However - nothing personal) We are all different people.
I kind of have to disagree that vintage cannot be lush and spacious - go listen to Dark Side of the Moon :)
But I agree that my description was maybe too open to interpretation, I'll make a mental note that I figure out what I want before the competition starts and try to describe more precise next time! Which I find isn't that easy even in my mother tongue...
Arthur Labus

Post by Arthur Labus »

fese wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 15:57 CEST
Arthur Labus wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 23:43 CEST
PS: Could i post my mix as part of my portfolio on Soundcloud ?
I have no problem with that. The collaboration (starting with the lyrics) was released under a "All rights reserved" license on kompoz, but I asked my collaborators for permission to use it for this contest, and they were OK with it.
So I think if you make clear that the song was part of this mix challenge and put a link to the challenge and the original project page on kompoz (https://www.kompoz.com/music/collaboration/659459) it should be fine.
Thank you fese !
Of course - all credits and links will be there.
I'll send you the link to Soundcloud too.
Let's spread the word !
HerbFelho

Post by HerbFelho »

Happy to be in round 2, thanks! :smile:
And also thanks for taking the time and critiquing, all good and valid points, I try to incorprate that for my R2 submission...
- the bass sounds too much like a Stingray to me, too much like a rock bass with the hi end slide sounds
that´s funny, in fact I play a Stingray 5 Bass for more than 20 years now! So don´t blame me on that, I can´t help it... :shrug: :hihi:

Cheers,
Herb
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

OoF
- level and frequency balance seem good to me.
- main acoustic more panned
- AGuitarSolo a bit too piercing in the hi end
- as are the tambourine and shaker, more to the background.
- there is something in the lead vocals which bugs me, but I am not sure what. Maybe less 200-300Hz? A bit boomy?

Very glad to be in 2nd round!

Thanks for the feedback, I've got to clarify one thing, though:

- The main acoustic (not the solo one, I suppose), I widened it to open up space for the solo acoustic and voice, but it's panned dead center. I was envisioning a singer/songwriter playing the guitar and singing in the center. If you want me to pan it 50% left or right, for example, I'll have to make more adjustments. I have no problem doing it, just wanted to let you know exactly what kind of processing it has. If you just want me to move it "out of the way", I can try different approaches.

[EDIT] I'm not at home now, but later I can include a screenshot with the exact processing of the acoustic guitar, in case it helps.

Everything else is crystal clear. I'll play around a bit with the voice, because reverb and distortion is a big part of the voice's sound, so it's probably not just a matter of removing 2db at 250Hz, but something else, as you pointed out.
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Hello fese,

thank you very much for choosing me for the second round!
I followed all your commends. It was interesting to read that you hear a flanging sound on the acoustic solo guitar. I used no flanger, but the chorus option of the NastyDLA. So I removed this chorus and I reduced the amount of delay. And I reduced compression and shaped the transients a bit smoother. It should be more natural now.

MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfwzk6t50b9so ... 2.mp3?dl=1
WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cydmtjp70ce8k ... 2.wav?dl=1

Good luck everyone!
davemcisaac

Post by davemcisaac »

Hi fese,

I addressed all the issues you suggested in your critique - I "tucked" the lead vocals into the mix better, brought down the electric guitars & brought up the female bg vocals in the chorus, pulled down the bg vocals in the final verse, and toned down the acoustic lead a bit.

I also read through your other notes and applied more panning ("picked/strummed acoustic a bit panned" & "the electric guitars I think are best panned"), along with giving it a more "round and warm ... vintage" sound. I hope you like it.

Mp3 - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... RVVuWb0IKy
Wav - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... ev8m0btKPy
fese

Post by fese »

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 18:31 CEST

Thanks for the feedback, I've got to clarify one thing, though:

- The main acoustic (not the solo one, I suppose), I widened it to open up space for the solo acoustic and voice, but it's panned dead center. I was envisioning a singer/songwriter playing the guitar and singing in the center. If you want me to pan it 50% left or right, for example, I'll have to make more adjustments. I have no problem doing it, just wanted to let you know exactly what kind of processing it has. If you just want me to move it "out of the way", I can try different approaches.
The "singer/songwriter approach would be totally valid, I just noticed that I liked the mixes where the picked/strummed acoustic is not dead center, I felt it distracted less from the vocals that way, especially during the chorus.
OctopusOnFire wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 18:31 CEST
Everything else is crystal clear. I'll play around a bit with the voice, because reverb and distortion is a big part of the voice's sound, so it's probably not just a matter of removing 2db at 250Hz, but something else, as you pointed out.
OK, that was very unspecific, I listened to it again and I think it is actually a problem of the 150-300Hz region, especially on the lower notes. Compare it e.g. to the mix from photonic or DaveMcIsaac, much clearer in the low end.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 2 days left to submit your edit for Mix Round 2