2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February until December
Ronson79

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Submissions until 21-08-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Ronson79 »

So here´s my contribution to the contest. (integrated LUFS -16,4 True Peak Level -1,14 dBTP)

Updated Link 04.08.2021

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HB_C7 ... sp=sharing

Drums
- seperated the "kick" and snare
- removed some mid tones from the kick and accentuated the transients with Spiff and gave it some space
- snare got some compression, space and parallel exciting
- one clap stereo spread the other clap left mono, clipper and compression, reverb + parallel exciter
- little drum has some tilt eq und a cut in the mids + reverb
- reverse cymbals just have some reverb and parallel exciting
- Shaker panned, low cut eq and some mild compression to accentuate the groove a bit
- correcting timing on kick, snare and claps

All GTRs went into a a subgroup
- Spanish GTR 1 + 2 panned hard left/right and added reverb
- GTR 2, Rhythm GTR and Arreglos GTR - correcting some timing issues
- GTR Support and Rhythm with some mid cut and limiting just to catch some peaks
- Arreglos GTR with low cut, dynamic eq - low mid and upper mid cut and gentle high shelf boost, opto compression + Spiff to soften the low mid -
transients, Aux channel - reverb, chorus, delay, movement modulation, exciter

main processing GTRs on the subgroup
- Gullfoss to clean the tones
- Soothe 2 for further control
- Spiff to soften the high range of the GTRs
- multiband expansion triggered by the kick and snare to add some movement
- Limiter to catch some occasional peaks

Bass
- eq high cut and cutting some mid tones
- second eq to cut some presence
- compression for the peaks
- second stage opto compression for consistent level and a touch of color/grit (PA ACME XLA-3)
- multiband comp for kick ducking

Synth
- modulation for a little bit of movement in the stereo field
- Soothe 2 for controlling some resonances
- eq to lower the bass
- reverbs and delay

Lead Vox
- gentle tuning
- Gullfoss for broad tone shaping
- multiband compression to further shape the tone and controll dynamics
- Deessing
- Soothe 2
Aux channels - reverbs, delay, exciter

Backing Vox
- same as lead but without multiband compression (instead full band compression)
aux channels - reverbs, delay

overall volume, panning and fx automation
creating an end of the sonf with fade out and reverb/delay automation

2-bus
- a tiny touch of Gullfoss Master
- Acustica Audio Black pre
- Acustica Audio Erin Compressor
- Fabfilter Pro-L2 in Transparent just for safety (no gain reduction)

Mixing the tune was fun and brought positive vibes.
Thanks to the uploader for the tracks and I hope he enjoys my mix.

Ronson79
Last edited by Ronson79 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 22:36 CEST, edited 2 times in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC079 August 2021 - Submissions until 21-08-2021 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A quick heads up for everyone:

! Bonus Info
I am currently in the process of checking/re-inserting one missing track of the multi-track package. I will update the thread within the next 2 hours, including a solution for those that already submitted something to the forum.

Please do not submit your edit yet.

alavault

Post by alavault »

Hello,
Mix : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uk3jAh ... sp=sharing

The mix setup is the same as usual.
Verse GTR :
  • Guitar IR for a more "real" feel. If it makes sense. Panned 80%
  • Filters - Comp (LA3A style) - MultiBand Comp - EQ
  • Sent to short verb, medium verb, flanger and parallel GTR comp
Chorus GTR :
  • Guitar IR again. Panned 100%
  • Filters - Comp (LA3A style) - MultiBand Comp - EQ
  • Sent to short verb, medium verb, flanger and parallel GTR comp
"Lead" GTR (little melodic lines here and there)
  • Guitar IR again. Panned 50 ish
  • Filters - Comp (LA3A style) - MultiBand Comp - EQ - Clipper
  • Sent to long verb, plateverb, 1/4 delay, stereo delay, flanger and parallel GTR comp
Bass :
  • No guitar IR. Panned center.
  • Parallel SansAmp
  • MB comp -> Limiter -> EQ -> Comp (slow attack, fast release, 2:1)
  • Sent to flanger, short verb and parallel comp
Lead Voxes :
  • Filter -> 76Comp -> EQ -> Limiter -> EQ -> Widener
  • Pitch Correction
  • Sent to medium, long and plate verb; 1/4,1/2, slap stereo delay; parallel vocal comp
Ahhhh Vox:
  • Filter -> 76Comp -> EQ -> Limiter -> EQ -> Widener
  • Pitch Correction
  • Sent to medium, long and plate verb; 1/4,1/2, slap stereo delay; parallel vocal comp + the Flanger.
Synth :
  • Widener (a lot)-> EQ -> Limiter
  • Sent to long and shimmer verb + stereo delay
Drums and percussion :
  • Little Drum and Percu :: Lots of compression (LMC style)
  • Shakers and claps : 100% pan. EQ -> Comp
  • Rev Cymbal :: hall verb
  • Sent to short, medium and long verb + parallel comp.
Rubber Ducky Squeak
  • All FX available. Full blast. (Especially the 1/2 delay, I like this guy)
  • Squeaky clean EQ
Master Bus : Kotelnikov -> Buster -> Buss Colors -> EQ -> ToTape - > Limiter
Automation : FX VCA, Parallel Comps VCA.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

! Bonus Info
The MC079 multi-tracks were missing one essential part of the original production. As of 03-AUG-2021 19:15 UTC+2/CEST, they have been added to the main mix package and re-uploaded. Please update your projects accordingly.

You have two options to do so:
  • download the "full mix package" again (ca 119MB, includes 23 WAV files/multi-tracks)
  • download the "update package" only (ca 475kb, this is not a typo, includes 2 WAV files/multi-tracks)
Please only download the update package if you have not downloaded the material by Tuesday, 03-AUG-2021 19:20 UTC+2/CEST. Else, always download the full package!

Please also read up on the the additional files in the attached TXTs, then edit accordingly.

ADDITIONALLY
 ⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
All entries up until Tuesday, 03-AUG-2021 19:30 UTC+2/CEST are allowed to be edited/resubmitted (updated post).

As of this moment, this exception only applies to @alavault and @Ronson79.

Every entry submitted after 03-AUG-2021 20:00 UTC+2/CEST will be considered "final". As per the Rules and Guidelines (post #6), no edits allowed until Mix Round 2. Should you miss the additional FX files, you might need to fix that later.

Please get acquainted with the updated files. Apologies for the inconvenience.

loger

Post by loger »

Hello everyone!!
This is my mix (with the new files)
I'm too lazy to explain my process, lol
Only basic stuff eq, comp, reverb, saturation, nothing special

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h6X6dl ... sp=sharing

Good luck everyone!!!
s&f

Post by s&f »

Ronson79 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 15:09 CEST
So here´s my contribution to the contest. (integrated LUFS -16,7 True Peak Level -1,14 dB)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Iu_oL ... sp=sharing

Drums
- seperated the "kick" and snare
- removed some mid tones from the kick and accentuated the transients with Spiff and gave it some space
- snare got some compression, space and parallel exciting
- one clap stereo spread the other clap left mono, clipper and compression, reverb + parallel exciter
- little drum has some tilt eq und a cut in the mids + reverb
- reverse cymbals just have some reverb and parallel exciting
- Shaker panned, low cut eq and some mild compression to accentuate the groove a bit
- correcting timing on kick, snare and claps

All GTRs went into a a subgroup
- Spanish GTR 1 + 2 panned hard left/right and added reverb
- GTR 2, Rhythm GTR and Arreglos GTR - correcting some timing issues
- GTR Support and Rhythm with some mid cut and limiting just to catch some peaks
- Arreglos GTR with low cut, dynamic eq - low mid and upper mid cut and gentle high shelf boost, opto compression + Spiff to soften the low mid -
transients, Aux channel - reverb, chorus, delay, movement modulation, exciter

main processing GTRs on the subgroup
- Gullfoss to clean the tones
- Soothe 2 for further control
- Spiff to soften the high range of the GTRs
- multiband expansion triggered by the kick and snare to add some movement
- Limiter to catch some occasional peaks

Bass
- eq high cut and cutting some mid tones
- second eq to cut some presence
- compression for the peaks
- second stage opto compression for consistent level and a touch of color/grit (PA ACME XLA-3)
- multiband comp for kick ducking

Synth
- modulation for a little bit of movement in the stereo field
- Soothe 2 for controlling some resonances
- eq to lower the bass
- reverbs and delay

Lead Vox
- gentle tuning
- Gullfoss for broad tone shaping
- multiband compression to further shape the tone and controll dynamics
- Deessing
- Soothe 2
Aux channels - reverbs, delay, exciter

Backing Vox
- same as lead but without multiband compression (instead full band compression)
aux channels - reverbs, delay

overall volume, panning and fx automation
creating an end of the sonf with fade out and reverb/delay automation

2-bus
- a tiny touch of Gullfoss Master
- Acustica Audio Black pre
- Acustica Audio Erin Compressor
- Fabfilter Pro-L2 in Transparent just for safety (no gain reduction)

Mixing the tune was fun and brought positive vibes.
Thanks to the uploader for the tracks and I hope he enjoys my mix.

Ronson79
great mix, great intro and fx usage!!!
Nonlinear

Post by Nonlinear »

Here's my mix: MC079_Javi_Ramallo__Lo_siento_por_Sevilla__Nonlinear

I started with pitch correction of the Lead Vocal track - but left the Lead Vocal Support tracks natural. I would like to tighten up the timing in the second half of the song but didn't know how far to go before being labeled as "edited". Will address this if requested and moved on to round 2.

Lead Vox has compression and deEssing applied as do Lead Vox Support tracks with a little bit of delay and reverb to add some depth (Waves CLA Echosphere). Applied considerable top end boost ("BAX" boost at 10k) to the backing vocal tracks for "air" with a long reverb (6 sec decay) for "hang".

I felt the conga/bongo in the percussion track was too loud relative to the low drum so I cut the midband EQ about 6dB at 1580Hz to bring it down.

Applied ~2.5dB bell dip at 150Hz on Spanish Gtrs 2 to reduce boxiness and rolled off top end at 10K to mellow the sound a tad then panned hard left/right. Other guitars were panned narrower to fill the horizontal space.

I felt the bass guitar was a bit too prominent in the verses so I "rounded" it a bit with transient reduction (Newfangled Punctuate) automated to return to natural during the choruses. Applied a rather sharp (Q of 9) dynamic EQ cut at 124Hz to reduce a resonance at that frequency and a wider EQ bell cut at 1k to reduce the brightness a bit (FabFilter EQ3).

Finally, volume automation was used throughout to bring up details in guitar and bass fills as seemed appropriate.
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

All entries up until Tuesday, 03-AUG-2021 19:30 UTC+2/CEST are allowed to be edited/resubmitted (updated post).

As of this moment, this exception only applies to @alavault and @Ronson79.

Every entry submitted after 03-AUG-2021 20:00 UTC+2/CEST will be considered "final". As per the Rules and Guidelines (post #6), no edits allowed until Mix Round 2. Should you miss the additional FX files, you might need to fix that later.

Please get acquainted with the updated files. Apologies for the inconvenience.
[/moderate]

Just for information.....tracks are implemented in the mix and the link is updated in the original post.
Ronson79

Post by Ronson79 »

@s&f

great mix, great intro and fx usage!!!
[/quote]

Thank you! Always appreciating if someone likes a mix from me who´s also into mixing!!
Christoph_K

Post by Christoph_K »

Thanks Javi for providing this wonderful track, I fell in love while working with it. The vocals are so sweet! Here’s my take: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbe1m7ezji2j6 ... K.wav?dl=0

This time I used the Brainworx Console N because I like the warmth of that plugin. So obviously I thought that warm is the way to go here and that console sound was a perfect fit IMO.

The Percussion go in to a room (UA Ocean Way) and plate (UA EMT 140). As suggested I splitted the 20 PERC in Hi and Low and used Waves RBass to create some subtle low-end on the higher drum. I time corrected the claps and copied one clap on the last hit at the end of the chorus because of a phase issue from to the timing correction.

I duplicated the Bass and used one as DI (with UA VOG) and put the Ampeq SVTVR on the other track. Added some slap back to give it some room. On the Bus lives the 1176, LA-2A and Fairchild 670.

The here and there time corrected Guitars have a LA-3A to tame the dynamics and Primal Tap as a slap effect plus Reverb and delay. The Chorus Guitar got a little bit of stage with the Ocean Way PlugIn to create more depth. Manley Massive Passive and Fairchild 670 on the bus.

The Synth has the Arturia JUN Chorus plus reverb and delay.

The Vocals are treated with UA1176, LA-2A, De-esser, GEM Dopamine on the busses plus parallel Processes (Aphex, CLA76, Echo Boy, Micro Shift). I used Melodyne and minimal Autotune to correct the lead and support vocals, slight Autotune on the BGVs only.

In the transitions to the first chorus I took the „Aaahs“ from the support LVs and put them to the BGV Group with more reverb and delay. I was thinking about taking a risk for disqualification by copying exactly these „Aaahs“ from the first transition to the second one, I just thought that it propels that section. I did not. It would be cool though. Finally I added a phaser effect to spice it up.

Mixed with LUNA and Neve Summing. Studer 800 on all tracks. Rearbus with Pulsar 1078. Mixbus with SSL Comp, Pultec and V3 for M/S EQ (and for widening in the chorusses). On the Master lives the Oxford Limiter with the ATR 102.

Global FX: UA Capitol Chambers, EMT250, Fab Filter Timeless, Valhalla Delay.