2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 2 in evaluation (staff taking over)

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
shoma

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC080 September 2021 - Mix Round 1 in evaluation

Post by shoma »

wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 23:00 CEST
Yep working for me as well now @Shoma. Glad you could get it sorted, sorry for the troubles but we'll see you next month yes ?
Thank you,@mattaroni_and_cheese This is quite funny, as this is the same link as in my original posting. :headscratch:

Hope I have more luck next time... :-D

Maybe anyone feels called to rate my mix "out of competition"? Just asking for a friend :lol:
shoma

Post by shoma »

Square wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 17:55 CEST
shoma wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 22:05 CEST
mattaroni_and_cheese wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 04:45 CEST
@Shoma hate to say it but your link is still asking for permission to access. When I go into Google Drive, I can right-click on my file, and then click "Share". This comes up with a screen with two sections; the top one says "Share with People and Groupd" is for adding people and permissions, but the bottom one says "Get Link" and "anyone on the Internet with this link can view". I think this is the easy way to sharing ! You can try it out in a different browser as well just to double check it. Good luck !
Yes, thank you. I know and I have chosen the "Get Link" and "anyone on the Internet with this link can view" option and if the screenshots I have linked to would have worked, you could see that this option had been set for all three files (mix and the screenshots)
After posting my file I went rushing through the last postings and there was another one, whose file was not accessable an I went "Ups..I'll better check my links". So I logged off from Google and tried to access the file, which indded was not accessible. That's when I changed the option to that you just mentioned and I could acess the file after being logged out again. I just felt safe.... :roll:

Edit: Just checked again with Cent Browser., which I usually don't use and which has never been used to log in to my Google account.

This link is working with Cent Browser, even if it also takes some 15 secondes to show the file. (Same link from original posting) and doublechecked user rights again...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3UbEC ... sp=sharing

Can anybody confirm, if the file is accessible or not? :shock:
I just want to know if I'm completely dumb :roll:
hi there mate, shame about the issues with your file, but being how polite youve been about the whole thing, im happy to include you in my listening and to pass on my notes the same i would for any other entry, just without the chance of going forward, for me, especially after seeing it from this side, i know that the timelines are quite tight and take a lot of personal effort and free time which can be made harder and more complicated if everything isnt ready to go on time, so from an organisational standpoint, and my personal opinion, its best to remain strict on this in general. Tho to be fair to myself and my past opinions, if current me said that to the past me that had some of his entries denied, we probably would have fought each other :smack: ... but understanding what keeps all of this running is just one of many things ive learned from this forum :educate:
Wow...that's very nice of you! See...there's no reason for me not being polite. We have rules, I missed the rules in some way and for me, working in the IT business, the reason for this failure is very embarrissing too. (!) I felt like being a complete idiot :face:

Even if I'm not part of the competition I would be very happy if you or anybody else would take a listen to the mix. I'm open for critics as I really want to learn something

Cheers to all! :-)
shoma

Post by shoma »

LCM! wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 17:55 CEST
I've just checked the link with another device and a different goggle account and it works :hmmm:
Thanks for checking! :-)
shoma

Post by shoma »

acelo wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 19:43 CEST
Hi @Square, I can open @LCM! file using incognito mode in google chrome. Hope this helps.
Thanks for checking out! Weird things are happening in my Google Drive...inkognito mode is working. I just don't get it... :headscratch:

Lesson learned...Google Drive is not reliable...at least not for me :nutter:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Phew... please let me quickly catch up on things, the Mix(ing) Challenge is way more active than usual (which is good), but a lot of open questions:

@Square and @LCM!
I could download the file. Just checked the link (23:06 UTC+2/CEST), things are fine. Looks like Google Drive is wonky a lot lately (also see further down below). Also LCM! - I'm deleting the moderator report - you apparently accidentally pressed the wrong button.

jake sg wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 16:34 CEST
Hi, im new in here. SOrry to break the rules and the link to my mix..genuinely mix by me. Im surprised that there was an updated which i didnt do anything or change anything in it. However i really respect of your decision and will make me understand more infuture not to make anymore mistakes / error. Thank you.
This was my main question... do you know what happened? I mean, the time-stamp offset doesn't come out of nowhere. So far, you're not fully "out", it's just the question where this could go. If you tell me "you didn't do anything", and maybe only updated the link (because inaccessible on forum), then the "tagged disqualified" will be removed from your entry on the Statistics Sheet.

zeminor wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 21:32 CEST
It was not my intention to copy m tree mix data exactly. I wanted to use m tree comments as a template. I made an incomplete copy while copying my own information. It was not my intention to mislead the competition. The mix I send is entirely my own. I didn't do it with your data. sorry for the misunderstanding.
Using a template is fine. But from the post, it didn't look like "your" data, or "your" settings.

In fact, do you have the same equipment as m_tree (which is possible these days)? If this is your mix, you could easily present to us what you did, in your own words, with your own settings. That is what we're pointing out and investigating here.

We're giving you an honest one-time chance to get this sorted out, please use it.

@shoma
I have been discussing this topic behind the scenes with @Square. He already offered you feedback. This topic is complicated this month. Will get back to you on that.

On that behalf - I've yet to see an answer from @Saccharine_trust.

But considering that I also listened to the entry (after @Square's quick feedback post) and there were indeed source signals removed (even with automation, the reverb send can still be heard), this is a clear no-no as this is an arrangement change. At bar minimum, the entry will be "tagged disqualified". The question is still, was it edited after the submission or not?

AskAndy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 21:59 CEST
Disqualification is acceptable. That being stated, My amateur system , being a mixing enthusiast , only is capable of 44.1K , nor do i wish to further strain my armature budget ,memory=money. So I will, in the future, REFRAIN from participating in challenges that require greater than 44.1K . Sorry to waste y'alls time with my hobby. Probably will still mix 48Ks but I won't clutter your pages nor subject reviewers to needless examination.
First and foremost, seeing you not be able to participate would be a pity. You're not cluttering the page with your posts - it's part of the game, things are fine :tu:

Can you maybe drop me a mail or PM and explain why only 44.1kHz is feasible for you? Is this a hardware limitation? This isn't the first time that participants bowed out of the game because of the "this month 44/24, next month it's 48/24" topic. And I can already tell you, we will see this for years to come. I just want to investigate possible solutions. Thank you.

I think that covers it all. :educate:
If I missed anything, please let me know and I'll get to that ASAP.
Square

Post by Square »

ok, just a quick update. After being on the side of participant enough times, im doing my best to make sure that anyone that can be involved is involved and trying to be fair.

if there are indeed google drive issues this month, im happy for any disqualifications that suffered from that to be put through, i honestly dont know the extent, but im much more along the lines of letting people be honest about intentions etc and just taking their word for it for the most part.

@shoma to be honest, i dont really know what happenned and if it was a similar problem that others have had with google drive and you are adament that this was the case and nothing has been altered after the time, then IMHO that is fine considering the problems others have had. I really dont mean to flip flop or keep you in limbo or anything, but it does seem that their are some technical issues with google drive and i dont want to exclude anyone for measures out of their control. Im just trying to be fair to all involved and its more difficult than i imagined :help: :cry:

That being said, i have spent more time on trying to figure these things out than i have reviewing entries, it is neccessary and important, but now, just to make sure that i can meet my deadlines, im going to recede a bit from the forum, lock myself in a room and focus on the mixes so that they get the time they deserve. :phones:
shoma

Post by shoma »

@Mister Fox

@Square

Yes, thank you. I've read the comment from @Square regarding my situation and I think his offer is very nice. :-)
I'm also very thankful that the both of you are communicating about this issue and maybe willing to find a solution. But..if you still come to the conclusion, that the disqualification was correct I'm fine with that and will not complain.. So far I can assure you that I did not change any file after uploading. I only changed the permissions after I realised, that the file was not accessible in the first place. I made screenshots on the same day where one can see all the actions taken in the folder; uploaded files, deleted files, changes of user rights etc. and at least to my knowledge there is no way to alter these informations afterwards. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Usually it's no witchcraft to upload a file and change the sharing options to "everyone who has the link", but this time there was some kind of
evil sorcery at work :lol:

Have a great day @all
zeminor

Post by zeminor »

We're giving you an honest one-time chance to get this sorted out, please use it.

MC080 Eavesdrops
I made some changes in some plugins that I use so that they are not similar and I am sending them again, thanks.
Firstly I completed edit process at whole session. I used sweeping EQ technique for undesired frequencies in all tracks. And than I do volume balanced after gain staging for some tracks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hgWwpa ... Sqlre/view

Acoustic Guitars
I routed and panned all the acoustic guitar parts to the bus channel. I duplicated mono acoustic guitar track and first I right panned it. I applied native instruments guitar rig 6 amp simulator on duplicated mono acoustic guitar track and send to aux track. I panned to the left as opposed to the duplicated mono acoustic channel and I used for wide stereo image 30 ms value tape echo plugin on aux track. I used Fab filter Pro Q3 on all acoustic guitar tracks. I cuted with wide Q value 400 Hz frequency band approximately -2 dB with amek 9099 plugin. I added aux track for guitar signal in bus channel send to reverb plugin. I used different aux track for fabfilter timless plugin.

Vocal
I duplicated mono vocal track and first I right panned it. I routed and panned all the vocal parts to the bus channel. I applied chorus fx and reverb on duplicated mono vocal track and send to aux tracks. I panned to the left as opposed to the duplicated mono acoustic channel. I used Fab filter Pro Q3 on all vocal tracks. I cuted with wide Q value 400 and 600 frequency band approximately -2 dB. I used townhouse buss compressor on bus channel.

Cello
I duplicated mono cello track and first I right panned it. used fabfilter Q3 for frequency setting and 206 Hz 1,96 dB boos Q1, 4,45 kHz 1,64 dB boost Q1.367. And bass slightly boost with a EQ. I used townhouse buss compressor on bus channel -9,9 dB treshold, 2:1 ratio, 1 ms attack and auto release, 1,5 dB make up.

Violins
Iam two separate tracks, panned %70 L/R, but with the same adjustments (volume automation slightly different). I used fabfilter Q3 for frequency setting. I used bx saturator v2 slightly. Volume automation, especially between 2:56 and 3:26 to support the vocals. I used townhouse buss compressor on bus channel -6,8 treshold, 4:1 ratio, 3 ms attack, auto release, 1,5 dB make up.

Piano
Iam separate two tracks panned L/R, I routed all the piano tracks to the bus channel and send to aux tracks for FX. Narrow – 2,5 dB cut at 225 – 680 Hz EQ adjustment, Panned 30% right. I used townhouse buss compressor on bus channel -4,8 dB treshold, 0,3 ms attack, auto release, 1.7 dB make up.

Strings pizzicato
Iam separate tarcks and panned 55% right and left. Narrow -2dB cut at 5kHz EQ setting.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A short feedback from my end:
I will get to the open topics within the next 48 hours, since I'm still in the middle of setting up things for the next two main games on the platform (plus forum maintenance, promo, etc).

However @zeminor -- I asked you to just rewrite your documentation, not re-submit your entry and provide documentation for that new mix. We are not in Mix Round 2 yet, nobody has been selected. We're still focusing on your original entry. So please stop what you're doing, take a step back, assess the situation.

All I want to know is at this point (as host enforcing the rule set, not as song provider):

We don't see a problem copying other posts and use them as template, but why did you copy @m_tree's settings the first time around?

Do you happen to have the same equipment?
Did you accidentally copy his settings for your mix?

This was the only issue at hand. Nothing else.

The new documentation is your own now, no doubt. But it is also based on a new mix.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Hi everyone,

I am now making an executive decision and close out the topic on "unclear entries". I've also updated the Statistic Sheets accordingly. Since there seems to have been a bigger issue with Google Drive going on last month, I am dropping most(!) file related issues with that service for MC080.

In the future, please triple check that your material can be downloaded, and that you posted both your link and documentation within the given deadline. If you don't trust GoogleDrive, please switch to another service. To those that reached out to me talking about different solutions, thank you. But I can't make any promises.

Please let me summarize:
  • @fcamp -- you've explained why the offset happened. This was a GoogleDrive issue. Your entry is not "tagged disqualified"
  • @jake sg -- you've explained why the offset happened. This was (also) due to a GoogleDrive issue. You technically did not document your edit in written form (see Rules and Guidelines, post #6), but you did post screenshots. I am leaving you off with a warning for future games. Your entry is not "tagged disqualified"
  • @Saccharine_trust -- you did not comment on how the offset of your file timestamp happened and/or why your post was edited. Furthermore, both @Square and I (@Mister Fox) can confirm that you drastically altered the arrangement due to removing source material "for impact". Your entry is therefore "tagged disqualified". Should you be selected for Mix Round 2, you have the option to advance with the use of a "Wild Card"
  • @zeminor -- I read all of your posts, I've read your PM. I also triple checked your original entry, and the one you posted on 30-SEP-2021. You proved that your files are the same, and you overhauled your documentation. For the future, if you use another post as template inspiration, please use your own values. I am leaving you off with a warning for future games. Your entry is not "tagged disqualified"
  • @Seba S -- even though you were informed that your link was not working properly, your mix could not be downloaded by the time the deadline has been reached. In fairness for all users running into issues with GoogleDrive, I just checked/tried your link again with various browsers. I can still not access your file. Your entry is therefore OUT OF THE GAME
  • @AndrewMcPherson -- my PM to you regarding the rule violation has still not been accessed/read. Due to the fact that you have withdrawn your entry and then re-submitted a revision (rule violation, see Rules and Guidelines, post #6, Upload and Submission Guidelines, bullet point #4), your entry is therefore OUT OF THE GAME

This changes the disqualification rate for MC080 / September 2021 down to 24% (75 entries, 18 disqualifications).

:arrow: I now (re-)open the field for everyone to give each other feedback (highly encouraged). This will be independent to the client feedback however. Though please note - criticism on the rule set and angry posts will be moved to the General Gossip Thread without further notice.

:educate: