2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

What age have we here?

If a topic is not fitting into the other sections, Please keep it civil and appropriate.
WARNING: No politics, no religious bashing, no hate posts - we don't want this here!
Auto-Prune temporarily disabled!
Beeble

What age have we here?

Post by Beeble »

Just for interest, at what age did you started your music and mixing career? And how old are you now?
I´m 53 and was 16 as I started with drums. Some years paused and back in buisiness since 2010.
I started mixing with cubase7 2 Years ago.

would be nice if you are outing yourself.
Last edited by Beeble on Thu Nov 16, 2017 15:44 CET, edited 1 time in total.
HerbFelho

Re: What age have we here?

Post by HerbFelho »

Hey Beeble, nice idea!
I´m 44, started at about 16 playing bass, then guitar and singing a bit.
Since then constantly playing in bands until i started to make a living out of this about 10 years ago.
5 years ago I started to learn the ropes in recording, mixing, mastering. All of it self-taught.
So, mainly i see myself as freelance musician with a bit of studio work as (slowly growing) side business.
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Hi everyone !
I´m (almost) 22, I started learning guitar about 8 years ago, although I love making music I consider it a hobby,no mixing career yet, just a few proyects related to my college career (which is kind of a mixture between audio engineering school and film school) and a brief job at a theather.
It would be interesting to also know where do you all come from, in my case I´m from Argentina.
EDIT: forgot to mention that I started learning about audio, mixing and recording about 4 years ago, when I started going to college.
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Well I'm 35, from Spain, and started playing guitar at 12, conservatory and all... left after 4 years and started playing in some bands, then playing professionally (as in playing shitty commercial music) in small venues, already in my 20s. I got quite burnt out of it, and kinda left the music aside for a while.

3 years ago I discovered the whole production/engineering side of it, and totally loved it. A more general approach, instead of the perspective of a musician, felt way more natural for me. Started on Pro Tools and later switched to Reaper, not looking back. Bought more plugins than what I could even use. I would have gone for a career on it if I had caught it sooner, but past 30 it gets really hard to start over on something you really had no experience before. I'm happy to have it as a hobby and enjoy it without having to meet deadlines in order to get paid.
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

My story is more or less similar to OctopusOnFire, I played the keyboards and the piano in pop bands in a music school and then, when I discovered all the stuff about electronic music production (you don't need a band to make a full track! Yay) I didn't think much about it and switched inmediately. Now the technical aspect of it (the mixing and of course the synthesis stuff) is what I love the most. In that regard, electronic music is one of the best groups of genres to practice that since there are genres that musically are literally simpler than a chord progression, but then the good part is all the sound design, automations and mixing.

I'm 21 by the way :P I've never played or "produced" professionally although I'm slowly building my small studio, collaborating with other artists doing small jobs, working on a webpage and so on and I hope I can some day work on something, not full time but complementing my computer science career.

Edit: Edited age, it's been too much time since I wrote this.
Last edited by Jorgeelalto on Fri Mar 15, 2019 22:29 CET, edited 2 times in total.
fogle622

Post by fogle622 »

I'm 67. I've been playing with recording and mixing since 2007.

I am still very much a beginner at both recording and mixing. I had a Teac-3340S 4 track tape deck in the seventies and eighties but did not take time to learn to use it. No one around me was interested and I am not a good singer or musician and I had no outboard equipment so I never created much material.

My wife gave me a Zoom MRS-8 multi-track recorder in 2007. The device includes built-in microphone, insert signal chains, send-return effects and drum and bass machines. I continue to this date to use the device as my main recording equipment even though it can only record at 44.1Khz sample rate and 16 bit depth.

I prefer to use a mouse driven software DAW and automation to mix. I'm in the beginning stages of learning how to edit, mix and use effects.

It is an exciting journey. I'm a bit overwhelmed by what is available to hobbyists but loving the learning experience.
Jim Fogle - fogle622 on the web
Cakewalk by Bandlab - Audacity
Band-in-a-Box & RealBand
All my effects are stock or free.

i3 Dell laptop, 64bit Win 10, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Hi, i'm 26.

I've gotten an accoustic guitar when i was 15, and started messing with FL Studio Like a little more than two years back but, i haven't been producing last year at all so, i am basically producing for like 1 - 1.5 year
Dr Dendrite

Post by Dr Dendrite »

40. Started with "tinkering" on toy electronics as a child, trying to get as many weird sounds from the devices as I could. I moved on to trumpet in my early teens and by my late teens I was experimenting with sampling which was in its early days as we now it. I moved on to stringed instruments in my early 20's followed shortly by virtual instruments. Then I found modular... yeah...that was late 30's...still there. Been mixing with REAPER for 10? years
Richard Watashi

Post by Richard Watashi »

Dr Dendrite wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 07:42 CET
Been mixing with REAPER for 10? years
cool :hail: :wink: (you have really great mixes)
Dr Dendrite

Post by Dr Dendrite »

J I L L I A M wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 CET
Dr Dendrite wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 07:42 CET
Been mixing with REAPER for 10? years
cool :hail: :wink: (you have really great mixes)
humbled