2024-APR-11 Info: Check out our current running games Mix Challenge 097 and Songwriting Competition 080.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC060 August 2022 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC060 August 2022 - Voting until 01-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Monday, 01-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:03 CEST
"The Tide" (collaboration with @alavault)

WAV: Google Drive Download
Arelem wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 00:44 CEST
"Underwater"

BONUS INFO: v2 with alternative lyrics can be found here. As it wasn't declared which version is being considered as "final", please focus on the first entry.
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 18:22 CEST
"Les Gotes d'Aigua"

KukoBass wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 16:28 CEST
"Fountain in Slow Motion"

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 16:30 CEST
"Tricky Fountain"

BONUS VIDEO:
► Show Spoiler
GamaGama wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 17:56 CEST
"Fast Stream Runto River"

MP3: Google Drive Download
VCA-089 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 19:31 CEST
"Aquamarine"

FLAC: Google Drive Download
MP3: Google Drive Download

BONUS VIDEO:
► Show Spoiler
Olli H wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 23:43 CEST
"One Lonely Drop At A Time"

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page.
GamaGama

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC060 August 2022 - Voting until 01-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by GamaGama »

Congratulations to all for the songs, really high quality! It will be difficult for me to make a ranking.

Here are some comments:
► Show Spoiler

and here valutations:
► Show Spoiler
KukoBass
Backer
Backer

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC060 August 2022 - Voting until 01-SEP-2022 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by KukoBass »

Though I imagined the picture to show water drops from a fountain, the overall theme was "Water" so I won't judge different interpretations.
As I am literally a bedroom producer and don't have any monitors or speakers available, I listened to all the songs on my bedroom studio headphones (Superlux HD 681).

Voting was very difficult for me because the songs are so different and there is very little common ground to compare them on. I ranked the songs mainly on three categories: How much a song builds a mental image of water, how much I like the structure and how memorable the motifs and melodies were to me (meaning: How much I still remembered on the next day).

Please take my feedback and my votes with a grain of salt: English is not my native language, so there may be things lost (or added) in translation. Also, I'm still new at producing, so my suggestions are mere ideas.

► Show Spoiler

My vote
► Show Spoiler
Olli H

Post by Olli H »

I didn’t read any of your submission details. So, with mere listening I may have missed some relevant points.

============

ESTEVE CORBERA
Sounds great. This is actually very beautiful. And it can be listened several times in a row without problems.

But I would take that water sample away, especially as the theme of this competition is water.

Nicely the leading instrument changes in every verse. Very well done. And I love that bass sound. It reminds me of bass sounds used in many Leonardo Cohen’s songs. For example ”A Thousand Kisses Deep”.

Actually, this track could be a cool backing track for some Leonard Cohen style song. Having said that I start to miss a catchy melody lines. Now its arpeggios all through the song. Arpeggio is something that normally cannot be sung, but fits perfectly behind the solo line or singing.

If I remember correctly, also in your previous submission you have avoided using clear melody lines. Maybe next months competition could be: add melody line to this track.

Water theme: surely there, also without samples.

============

GAMAGAMA
It starts very nicely. The melody line in the opening has the same insightfulness that you have shown before. Very catchy. 

All goes very well, but then something happens around 1.05. I was expecting totally different chorus to come in, but instead it comes a new variation of the same main theme. I start to lose the song as it gets somehow imprisoned to that one theme. So, although each part works perfectly as such, the bigger view of the melodic movement stagnates. I miss that wild melodic freedom and surprising elements that you have shown in your previous submissions. They aren’t here the same way.

Sonically I like the band part very much but that main trumpet isn’t very expressive. And it feels too dry and a bit shy. I guess that trumpet is a loud and extremely dynamic instrument that should be listened for safety reason from longer distance. That is to say, trumpet and reverb fit together very well. Also, I think you could have given lead playing role also to other instruments.

The band part is very well done. But to me the problem is that the band plays with full dynamics all the time. It would be nice to have some breathing moments, and after that it would be nice to experience again the moment the band turns the full speed on.

Water theme: Unfortunately, I didn’t find the Water theme in your submission.

============

KUKOBASS
You surely knowhow to make drums and bass play together as a one hypnotic unit. Both the sounds and the playing of them are glued very well together.

I like that hypnotic minimalistic sound. On the first verse there could be one or two points where arpeggio could step out of the chord notes and anticipate the next chord.

On the second verse the arpeggios start nicely to carry melodic lines within it. Cool!

When we enter the third verse development of the song stops, and it dies away. In third verse you might give the melodic role for example to the cello, and also maybe change a bit the drum-bass-groove.

Piano arpeggios might need a tad short reverb to glue the notes together.
Melody lines are beautiful, but I guess its a bit too repetitive rhythmically. If you could bring in some melodic surprise moments or some stronger chord change or something that breaks a bit monotonous progression.

Overall, you managed again to create a strong, coherent and compelling mood, but the song dies away before it reaches the end. I’m sure that after a couple of songs you’ll be able to put out a song that ends up into top positions.

Water theme: maybe there, but I’m not sure.

============

ARELEM
Very convincing. It was difficult to analyze what’s happening musically, because I switched the listening mode to message listener. So I was mainly listening to you, not the musical nuances. And that’s what should happen with music.

Vocals could have been a bit louder. I guess that in the rap part you should be fully exposed without makeup, just you in direct contact with the listener. But when chorus part starts, then it’s ok to have all the powders on.

Nice arrangement in chorus, especially that low-synth.
In rap part the sub could go away here and there so that it could come back again, and that way offer that moment more often.

Water theme: surely there.

============

FUTURE IN NOISE
It’s like a music from my playlists. Well done. Sounds like a band that’s been together several years, You should make a tour and a record with this group.

With first listening I didn’t find anything to improve. Everything felt coherent. I like the idea that drums let wait for them to come in with full force. And sonically it’s focused.

But with further listenings I started to feel some sort of attitude change during the song. It’s a minor thing, but I take it up as it started to bother me a bit. The song starts strongly in a bitter mood with a full focus on lyrics and singing, and it feels like Red Hot Chilly Peppers. But later I feel the focus changes to show some musical tricks, and the words and singing become just another instrument among others, in The Beatles style. And finally comes the musically best part, the saxophone outro, and at the same time it takes me to totally opposite mood. It feels like saxophone is saying: ”I’m coming home back to your sweet arms”. As the song was so strong and expressive, I guess I would have preferred it to stay in one original mood.

Water theme: sadly I didn’t find any musical water reference, mainly a word ”the tide” from lyrics. You should have been among the top ones.

============

BECSEI GYORGY
Wow! You surely are on you way to professional career. Your musical skill grows day by day. I like each and every part. The carrier of the main melody flows nicely from one instrument to another. Counter melodies work nicely, etc. So, on that level I feel I’m not in position to give any improvement tips. (Except take that water sample away. I feel that now, as the music does it’s job, you’re saying the same thing twice.)

But as an average listener somehow it’s difficult later to remember any details. I mainly remember that it was that ”cool symphony thing with the harpsichord”. So I guess, it’s missing some strong melody hooks, musical elements that could survive and dominate among the superb small nuances and details you’ve created. Actually, those hooks are there probably already, but maybe the focus is not on them properly. But that’s something you’ll be  solving soon.

With your current learning curve you’ll be soon hitting the big time with your forthcoming masterpieces. I know you’ll be busy, but remember visit us every now and then.

============

VCA-089
First listening:
Opening is superb. It’s showing your supreme sonic skills. Also plenty of well-done variations of the same theme.

With new listenings:
After about one minute I start to wait a bigger change. But instead of it then comes in that buzzing and sliding synth. For some reason to me it’s sound and music lines you do with it don’t add to the song.

1.45 comes the change I was waiting: bass, drums and guitar come in. But then I notice that it wasn’t musical change for the chord progression remains the same. Around that time I start to notice no matter what instrumentations changes you bring in I hear only that constant chord progression loop.

Although this is more ambient music, I still think it would highlight your skills more if you had also B-part with rhythmically and chordwise differentiations structure. But it doesn’t have to be a verse-chorus thing, but still something that gives you more room to use different movements.

► Show Spoiler
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello everyone,

For my entry, I noticed the 'bonus' with the alternate lyrics. I decided to keep the original because even though the lyrics are a bit better in keeping with a specific theme in the second version, I liked the vocal take in the first one more and I could not match it after multiple tries.

► Show Spoiler
Vote:
► Show Spoiler
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.
They always help me to improve.
I am sending you my comments, much less elaborate than yours.

aFutureInNoise & alavault_TheTide
Good song. Good vocal performance. The chords sound a little simple to me, but it suits your theme well.
The subject becomes more interesting when you double the voices (2:45). And definitely the best part is the saxophone. Maybe we should have given it more prominence. In the end you are left wanting more.
Little sensation of water.

Arelem – Underwater
At first listen it didn't seem well adapted to the theme of water, but as I listened to it again, you do get the feeling of being underwater, with the long reverberation you've put on.
Good song structure. The final variations of the chorus are very good, the penultimate more acoustic and the last one with all the synthetic arsenal.

KukoBass_Fountain in slow motion
Good comparison of the sound of the piano with the drops of water. The melody is flowing and the drops are falling.
But the drops (piano) lack a little humanity.
I find the topic a bit repetitive. The variations aren't enough to draw my attention to the final part of the theme.
You could have adjusted the final levels of IL (Integrated Loudness)

becseigyorgy_TrickyFountains
You always surprise, now with a very classic invoice theme. Well, maybe it's not classical music, maybe baroque? Or both? The combination of the harpsichord and the orchestra perhaps shocks me a little, the orchestra sounds more classical and the harpsichord sounds more baroque. After listening to it several times, each time I find the combination less suitable.
I stick with the harpsichord pieces, which transport you to the French court with large gardens and bountiful fountains.

GamaGama_FastStream
Surprising start, you don't know if you're expecting something synthetic or saucey.
Your theme is catchy, but it has the problem that the sounds don't sound real (you probably didn't have time to get the whole game out of the libraries they left you). But the melody and rhythm are catchy. They are fun and make me move my leg while listening to it.
Maybe you could improve the mix, the orchestra sounds off.

VCA-089_Aquamarine
Good combination of sounds. For me, the least interesting and conventional part is the drum and guitar part. The rest is very interesting. But I agree that this is a matter of taste, curiously the opposite of the other colleagues.
The final flanger effect (or whatever) I find sends us into the depths of the sea. Well played.
The sound environment is excellent, as always.

OlliH_OneLonelyDropAtATime
Olé, we have another song from your singer. Well done!!
The pizzicato reminds of drops. Really good.
Very simple piece and, as the colleagues say, you don't need big things to make an original and different theme.
It needs some work, like tuning, but nothing that a little time can't fix.

(translated with google)

Thank you all

► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

Hi guys,

I didn't really write a detailed review, because it would be very difficult to compare completely different styles, and I don't feel qualified enough to analyze them in detail.
Overall, one advantage of the varied styles was that it was not boring at all to listen to the list several times, actually the variety of styles came in handy.

Some impressions and opinions about the songs:
Even though it was a picture topic this month, I didn't give less points in the scores afterwards, if I didn't feel connected to the picture at all, because I saw that we interpreted the task differently again.
Some interpreted the visual inspiration quite broadly, while others felt that the theme of water was exhausted in the use of large reverbs or short pluck sounds.

Here are my first (or second :smile: ) impressions:

A Future In Noise - The Tide
Interesting pop song, I like the saxophone, the guitars and the mix is great too. The vocal parts are no longer excellent everywhere, ther are parts that i don't like. But I really like the instrumental parts, (wow the saxophone :hail: )
My main problem is that this song could be played in any competition of any month, it wasn't really made here.
Even if we take it very loosely, it has nothing to do with the task and the image.
And not a big prob but I don't understand the end of the song: the whole song is well done, but at the end it seems as if it should be turned down quickly because of an important newsflash... - why this relatively fast fading, it could have the end better.

Arelem - Underwater
Nice trap song. I always like it when the song has original vocal lines.
Overall nice, a bit of variation, improvement need. The chorus part could be a bit more exciting. e.g. the same atmospheric synthesizer sound is here as in the verse - it could be more varied.
The song is a good sketch, but it seems like it's just a demo sketch for now.
Due to the nature of the genre, the sharp, loud sounds are present, but they are slightly overresonated in some places.

EsteveCorbera - Les Gotes d'Aigua
I also like the instrument choices and the atmosphere the song creates.
The water effects are good, but they are a bit overused at the end.
The intro is great. The outro is great.
The middle part: I'm having trouble with the melodies again, often they seem to be AI-generated random melodies.
lately you've been making really good-sounding songs with a good atmosphere, congratulations on your progress - now you should write a little bit more beautiful melody lines please.
Mix: there are often too many resonant peaks, and the overall balance could be better.

KukoBass - Fountain in slow motion
Nice little song in general.
The emphasis in the song is on the bass playing (that's great), but perhaps too much - too dominant in the song, and the mix is not well balanced.
In terms of structure, I don't feel that it's a finished song either. The bass is well developed, but the rest is a bit underdeveloped.

GamaGama - Fast Stream Run to River
I like composition, the overall feeling of the song. Great job.
And it fits the image and theme much better than some of the other songs.
I really know that brasses are very hard to make real, they look a bit too artificial here too.
I think the main trumpet needs more reverb.
Mix: as if the stereo space and mono compatibility weren't perfect?

VCA-089 - Aquamarine
Creates a very good atmosphere very quickly. That's great.
The song consists of excellent atmospheric images, but somehow the cohesion is lacking. We lack the leading melody, a common motive, development, so that we feel that we are going from somewhere to somewhere. Stills, however, are superbly illustrated.
I think overall it was a little less successful. Nice sound, but I often feel the composition is a bit forced. I feel the volume of the drums is a tiny bit exaggerated in the middle part. But I would like to learn sound design from you, because the sound choices are superb as always.

OlliH - One Lonely Drop At A Time
Overall, I like the idea, but - frankly, due to the lack of time - it has not been elaborated enough for now. And now I'm not thinking about the instrumentation, you don't need more, I like the minimal style.
If you choose this style, everything should be more in place, because uncertainties and contingencies stand out more and are immediately audible. Also in composition and in the mix.
But still very good and with a little development it will be great.
► Show Spoiler
becsei_gyorgy

Post by becsei_gyorgy »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 21:53 CEST

The combination of the harpsichord and the orchestra perhaps shocks me a little, the orchestra sounds more classical and the harpsichord sounds more baroque. After listening to it several times, each time I find the combination less suitable.
I think it was just translated by google translate wrongly :smile: :smile:
I hope poor Bach doesn't turn in his grave. :wink: - Just kidding

I think you could have meant the size of the orchestra and the sample library choice. A chamber size orchestra would be better suited here, but the BBC Core is what I wanted to practice on (and I have that :shrug: ), and it has quite a lot of room sound (like Spitfire products anyway) and many players.
Anyway, the harpsichord is often used not only in small, but also in medium-sized orchestras (with strings, woodwinds, etc.)
These are, in this video for example, concertos (so the main element is the harpsichord), but of course there are times when the main role is not played by the harpsichord.

phpBB [media]
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 18:43 CEST
I think you could have meant the size of the orchestra and the sample library choice.
Hello,
You are right. I didn't say it well. You say it better: The problem for me is the size of the orchestra. Possibly a smaller size would be a more natural fit for me.

Thanks
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

becsei_gyorgy wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 18:24 CEST
The middle part: I'm having trouble with the melodies again, often they seem to be AI-generated random melodies.
lately you've been making really good-sounding songs with a good atmosphere, congratulations on your progress - now you should write a little bit more beautiful melody lines please.
The truth is that I didn't use AI to make the melody, but it is an improvisation played on the MIDI keyboard. I like these random melodies, but both you and Ollli H ask me to work more on the melodies in future challenges. That's how I'll do it.
Thanks