2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
dstra

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Submissions until 21-12-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by dstra »

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot to Ron for the song. I enjoyed mixing it. Here you can find the result: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-fR6JD ... sp=sharing

Processing

Tracks
  • eq and compression to taste an every track
  • vox scream: short reverb for fattening the voice
  • vox clean: short reverb for fattening, longer reverb for widening, sporadic delays as special effects
  • rhythm guitars: comb filters for widening, reverb
  • lead guitars: reverb, phaser to support the floating feeling in the chorus
  • bass (DI track was used because the amped track had too weak transients): reverb, sidechained dynamic eq to leave more space for the kick in the low end
  • kick: reverb
  • snare: gated reverb
  • toms: -
  • drum fill: reverb
  • drum overhead & room: -
  • some volume and effects automation was also applied
Buses
  • vocals: -
  • guitars: compression, sidechained dynamic eq to leave more space for the vocals
  • drums: compression
  • main bus: compression
Tools
  • DAW: Ardour (Linux)
  • plugin bundles: Calf, LSP, Zam and others
Hope you enjoy it! :phones:
onecake2

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Submissions until 21-12-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by onecake2 »

Christoph_K wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:40 CET

When I looked at the vocals I found them quite uneven so I did a lot of clip gaining before doing anything else. I also tried to find groups that made sense to me for an easier mixing process. The de-essing was an ongoing issue and I ended up with the Softube Weiss Deess and the SPL Deesser to get results that I liked. I used 1176AE, LA2, El Rey, Devil-Loc, Autotune for two tracks and - again - BB Tubes. Pro-Q3 to tame harshness.

The rest was automation.
Hi. I always like your mixes. You are very talented imo.
I have a question about vocals, please: what type and settings delay have you u used on them? Very cool effect!

:clap:
colinchildsmixing

Post by colinchildsmixing »

Colin Childs Mix Submission:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1thNNJT ... share_link
colinchildsmixing Inferno Submission MC89

Hope you guys enjoy the submission, its an honor to compete and check out the other tracks!

System:
Macbook Pro Retina 2018
2.6Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

DAW:
Presonus Studio One 5 Professional

Plugins Used:
Presonus
Waves
Slate Digital
Kilohearts
oeksound
LiquidSonics
Mercuriall
TC Electronic

My Process:

1) Drums

I always start with drums. I attempt to get a super solid drum sound since it’s our entire back beat of the tune. I tend to start with my kick and snare sounds then move on to accessory pieces of the kit like toms and cymbals. I’ll finish with bussing and splicing in the room sound to add to the space of our percussion.

Kick: Using the Slate Digital Mixrack, I stuck primarily with an SSL style eq to shape my kick sound while going into an 1176 style 500 series compressor. I’m careful not to affect the transients of both the kick and snare and often go pretty slow on the attack setting. But by using a compressor, even on a midi drum kit like the one used in this production, I am able to achieve a familiar character and analog emulated energy.

Snare: I copied a similar chain on the kick track into my snare settings. And to simulate a bottom snare sound (since this song didn’t have one individually), I duplicated my snare track, eq’d out the lows and accentuated the highs, while adding a favorite distortion/fuzz plugin (Faturator by Kilohearts). I added a Waves Puitec plugin to add a warm wood snare sound, adding more body to the current snare sound. Going back later, I sent the main snare track to the Slate Digital reverb plugin to add snare space in the mix.

Overheads: Overheads are simple for me and I have an almost exact process every time. That is to roll off the low end. Use subtractive eq in the “boxy” range. And sometimes binaural pan for more width. In special cases I will invert one of the channels for an extra wide feel on cymbals. And second to last in my chain is an LA-2A emulated limiter. I use a dual mono compression to avoid anything in the left or right channel to become unintentionally limited if the opposing channel hits the unit’s threshold. This keeps things dynamic when they need to be… and held in place when they don’t. And to polish it off I’ll use Soothe 2 by Oeksound to clean up any harshness.

Toms: I use a linear digital eq to clean up low/high frequencies. And a limiter to hold the tom in place…

Bussing/Room Tracks: I’ll now set up my bussing which includes: 1 kick/snare buss, 1 overhead buss, 1 tom buss, and 1 room buss. In this certain scenario I didn’t apply any buss mixing to these individual busses but it does however allow me to easily move faders and keep things consolidated. Once I have a good balance, these separate busses are put into one single buss labeled “Drum Buss”. From here I’ll attempt to create some cohesion in the drums as a whole. In this case I used the CLA Mixhub by Waves and adjusted the “mic” parameter to add a console emulated saturation. Moving eq knobs around, I was able to bring out more depth in the kit. And by using the built-in compressor and percentage knob, I could create a parallel compression feel.

2) Bass
Bass can be a tough one, but was able to bring out the best in these 2 tracks and even created an additional amp sound through a duplication of the DI track.

DI: This was used to hold low end in the mix and stay balanced without. I’m a fan of having dynamics but I’m also a fan of having consistency and that is exactly what I used this track for. Using compression and eq through the Slate Digital Mixrack I was able to hold down peaks, and subtract/add frequencies I wanted presence in a consistent bass tone.

Amp: This tone was awesome and it was even better when I applied saturation through a couple preamp modelers within the Slate Digital Mixrack.

DI Duplicate: I took this track and ran it through an Ampeg sim within the Presonus Ampire plugin. My goal was to obtain a really raw, clean, and realistic bass tone through an amp.

Bussing: All 3 tracks were added into a bass buss. From there, subtractive eq was applied to remove unwanted frequencies in the 200-500 range. And a roll off was applied around 50hz to remove sub which is where I wanted my kick drum to be felt. I still like the bass to be heavy and loud but I don’t want the kick to be buried. A little trick I’ve been using is side chain compression. I’ll compress the bass and use a send track within the kick to control it anytime the kick is present. Works wonderfully.

3) Guitar

DI: Some of the guitar 1’s and 2’s was duplicates of each other so I time corrected one track then proceeded to pan left and right to create a stereo image. My amp sim was an Overloud modern amp head into 2 custom impulse responses.

Amp: I left these tracks alone with the exception of a similar process to the DI tracks to create a stereo image. All were balanced, panned, then included into a buss track.

Bussing: I rolled off any low and high end that I didn’t need and added soothe 2, a resonance suppressor plugin. Simple and effective.

4) Bussing/Rough Mix
Once I had all instrument tracks consolidated and pre-mixed, I leveled in mono and continued to make small adjustments and tweaks to shape the sound I wanted and create space for each piece of the performance.

5) Vocals
Went with a simple approach on any singing parts. I had to move certain vocals onto other lead vocal tracks to consolidate and make the process easier on myself. From there I cleaned up the vocals by using subtractive eq and added an Empirical Labs Distressor modelor with a DBX style de-esser.

Screams are tough for me but I was able to achieve a grittier and more distorted feel using the Presonus red distortion within their stock plugins. Compression was high and I increased sustain with a transient shaper. I also rolled off excess high and low end.

Everything was added to a bus where I was able to apply overall effects on the vocals including tape saturation, limiting, and reverb.

6) Special Effects
I decided to be more creative with this tune especially since it called for it. I added a flanger to the beginning drum part. I reversed the guitars as a riser in the intro. I used automation for a cool effect in the initial drum fill. I used reversed and slowed vocals for the initial scream. I duplicated the main scream track and added a low pass filter and chorus for more width and depth. I sent certain vocal tracks to a delay fx send and/or a slapback fx send. I automated pitch effects within the screams to enhance energy and emotion. I used a stereo imaging doubler effect on some of the lead vocals. And I used a tape/stop effect for the ending of the production. I also used a transient shaper on various tracks to either soften the hit or increase it on drum parts or certain vocal sections.
EchoOread

Post by EchoOread »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FKe11m ... share_link

Kick: EQ/Comp/Paralleled
Snare: same as kick/ with reverb
Bass: combo both, more amp than DI
Guitars: EQ/delay/ alternate muting in beginning
Vox: long delay for screaming, the rest with shorter delay and reverb

I especially like the screaming parts. I enjoy mixing it.
Franz

Post by Franz »

Mixing was done ITB in Samplitude Pro X7

- concerning the drums, only compression and equalization with a little reverb for the sound space.
I checked that the "ghost notes" were clearly audible throughout the title, since they are an important component in rhythm.

- for the rest of the instrumentation, the usual process of compression and equalization trying to stay as close as possible
to the original sound of the instruments. Not too inspired for sound fantasies...

- concerning the voices, there was a lot of work. It was necessary to "equalize" the very disparate levels of the different voice
tracks by going through manual corrections in WaweLab 11 to arrive at the base to obtain something that is usable in the
dynamics of the title.Then compression and equalization and a little sound space.

It plays here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Th6C2 ... share_link
FromAtoZMix
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by FromAtoZMix »

Hi there, I will provide more details a bit later, Logic after latest update become very unstable and was crashing a lot. Link to song below.

-https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iZYiN0 ... share_link

Regards,
Piranha

Post by Piranha »

Being a rock lover myself the song was a pleasure to mix 🤘🏼
My process now is kind of top-down aproach starting with light master v-shaped eq and Melda MwaveShaper (for a better, oversampled, inflator) to start with a dynamic and eq curve closer to my goal.
Then drums, bass, guitars and vocals on top.
Main track eq was Izotope Neutron, main track comp MTurboComp. Hornet Analog Stage MK2 on almost every track.
DRUMS:
Eq shaping on everything, expecially on OHs, mainly carving low-mids. Compression on snare and in parallel on the loop.
Strange processing on drums bus: extremely quick compression to tame clicky kick and snare, then subtle transient shaping for the same reason and Devil-Loc to enhance drums sustain.
BASS:
Distorted in parallel, compressed with LA-2A emulation, a bit of RBass to add depth and Trackspacer to help vocals to cut.
GUITARS:
Manley Vari-Mu by MTurboComp on the bus, high frequencies boost and trackspacer. Lead tracks where heavily filtered
VOCALS:
Heaaaavy compression on every track, a bit of eq shaping but not much. De-essing because of the compression.
Scream vocals where heavily distorted in parallel. Main ambience is a quarter ping-pong delay (Unfiltered Audio Sandman), but there is also a subtle long reverb (Raum, canyon preset modified).
Some special delay spots on vocals.

WAV file
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC089 December 2022 - Submissions until 21-12-2022 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your mix.

As of this moment, we have about 48 mixes. Exceeding 70 this month would be amazing!
Let's see what the "final rush" will be about :thinking:

If you've been sitting on your mix, now is the time to get everything sorted out, and post both your link and documentation. Do not forget the deadline. And please adhere to the given filename template.
m_tree

Post by m_tree »

Thanks for the opportunity! Cool track.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8aq2z73f5ndwh ... e.wav?dl=0

I like the contrast of the verses and the choruses and worked with different ambiences (length of delays and reverb) in the choruses.
I used subtle additional distortion on bass, guitars and leadvocals. As always I made many volume rides.

I wanted a punchy, clear and spatial drums sound. The overheads are ridden up some dB at the crash cymbal hits.
The kick was a bit too clean and synthetic to my taste. I distorted it's low end and cutted some highs with narrow bells there to fit it better into my treble boost on the drumbus.
I copied the snaretrack for the ghostnotes with use of an inverted gate to make the ghostnotes more hearable and control their loudness.

There's a light chorus on the bass (mixed DI and Mic).

I mixed the guitars in a group and dealed with the redundance of guitar 1 and 2 with a subtle haas delay. Anyway in this mix I liked 'smaller' verses without guitar doubles in contrast to more wide choruses with the lead guitars panned 100% L/R.
The DI tracks of the guitars aren't used.

I mixed the vocals in five groups. Treated three of them as lead vocals and two of them as background vocals.

Finished on the masterbus with a mastering compressor (1.5:1, fixed release, 2dB GR average), a mastering-tape simulation and a truepeak limiter for level control. Rendered the mix with additional 250ms at the beginning and 2 seconds at the end.

Cheers!
ggibson1988

Post by ggibson1988 »

Thanks again to Mr. Fox for putting this together, and Hooker and a Handgun for providing this amazing song.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mv-MhV ... sp=sharing

1st: listened to reference track.
Then started with vocals. Did rough balance, then added parallel compression to main screams and main cleans to add thickness.

Next moved on to drums.
Started with overheads to check position of toms and hat, however, realizing, the hat is only in the OH’s and rooms. Panned tom to match snap in OH’s. Then level balanced drums. Starting with kick, basic EQ. Boost at 60HZ, slight dip at 500k, boost at 2.5k, and high shelf at 6k.
Next, snare. EQ first, boost at 100HZ, moderate cut at 260HZ, slight cut at 1k, boost at 3.5kHZ and boost at 8k.
Snare and Kick both sent to separate reverbs. Returned to drum bus.
Really had trouble getting a clean hat sound. Ended up duplicating the overheads and high passing one and low passing the other to get the closed hats somewhat isolated. Then EQ’d both.

Next, we were on to bass. 
Used amped bass for the bottom. DI, added SansAmp with heavy crunch.

Balance drums and bass, then balanced vocals to drums and bass.(more like balanced drums and bass to vocals).

Guitar time. As many comments earlier, the guitar 1 and guitar 2 tracks were duplicates, as evident when i checked phase by reversing polarity, they were suddenly gone. So added reverb to guitar 1. High pass and basic EQ on both 1 & 2 DI’s follows by heavy Fairchild input gain with no other saturation. Wanted to get the sound of the strings in there.
EQ and Fairchild compression on all other guitars. And delay on both Guitar 1 and 2.

Rebalance all tracks.

Added VocalSyth to both scream 1 and scream 3, with combinations of vocoder, compuvox, talk box, polyvox, and shred. Also added 1/2 note delay.

Then delay and verb on vox bus.

Mix Bus: API 2500, barely kissing the VU’s on preset “Mix Glue”, Pultec EQP-1A both boosted and attenuated at 60HZ, Same at 10k. (> 2db on both),
Pultec MEQ: Boost of .6DB AT 5HZ, dib at 700Hz, and boost at 3K.
Tape Saturation
Used Fab Filter to add side boost of 1.5 db at 8K