2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Songwriting Competition 066 - February 2023

:information_source: BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
  • Please consult the official and very simple "Rules and Guidelines" (TL;DR version) for the Songwriting Competition regarding principles of the game, it's engaging game mechanics (allowed editing/re-submission of your entry until the deadline has been reached) and upload/submission guidelines.
  • The general idea of this game is to "...just make music", to also challenge yourself by stepping a bit out of your comfort zone, and take a dip at realms you've never worked in before. Instrumentals are just as welcome as productions with vocals.
  • The Genre and "Premise" of this months challenge can be found in in post #002
  • Filename Template: SWC066_ArtistName_TrackName.wav and/or .mp3
Read more about this month's competition further down below. And if you got any question, please also reach out on Discord.

:arrow_right: SONGWRITING COMPETITION THREAD INDEX

Post #001 -- Introduction post and index for the various stages of the Songwriting Competition. Will be updated as we progress
Post #002 -- Submission Period: General Information, Source Material, Sponsors
Post #003 -- Cheat Sheet: A couple of examples / audio demos for this month's challenge (limited if genre is "free to select")
Post #035 -- Voting: Summarized entries and start of voting process
Post #056 -- Results: Results of the Songwriting Competition
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Submissions until 24-02-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Wednesday, 01st February 2023 to Friday, 24th February 2023 (24 days)

Challenge submission will end on 24-FEB-2023, 23:59 UTC+1/CET (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please either consult the Global Countdown (dedicated page), or the countdown on the landing site. There will also be short reminders on Social Media and on Discord. Does the game time frame feel too long? Why not set a personal shorter one of 5-7 days absolute max to push yourself to focus on the essentials, then use the rest of the time to ask for feedback and possible refinements. :idea:

SONGWRITING THEME: "It's a trap!"
GENRE: Hip-Hop Music (Trap, Crunk)

Image Source: LynnB (via Pixabay), released under Creative Commons CC0

A few word about this month's theme:
Staff (Mister Fox) wrote: IT'S A TRAP! - "signature saying of the weird fish guy in the sixth Star Wars film who yells it out when the alliance are trying to blow the Death Star up, and the empires fleet suddenly appears out of nowhere" (Urban Dictionary), or actually the music genre that is named like this phrase. I always seem to mix that up. :headscratch:

You have 24 days to go nuts with your drum sampler, some synths, and very, very angry yelling people on the off-beat.
Just say no to the "Harlem Shake"! :uhuhuh:

Your task for this Songwriting Competition:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This month, you can create a production in any Hip-Hop Music genre (although it should ideally go towards Crunk or Trap).

What I'd like to see/hear this month:
All joking aside... While "Crunk" and "Trap" music is more known for aggressive lyrics, borderline scraping at modern gangster and mumble rap, the original "idea" for this Hip-Hop sub-genre was to just blow off some steam. "Trap" over "Crunk" even has the occasional signature 16th and even 32th notes hi-hats on top of pitched snares in breakdowns.

The title of this month's theme is but an idea, the direction should go more towards "modern" Hip-Hop music. Including the infamous hat and snare patterns. I introduce no other limitations. You can have shouts, or you can remain "fairly tame" -- let the music speak for itself, let us bop our heads and enjoy a nice beat. And since I'm pretty sure that this topic will come up (like it was a topic during SWC035), I also do not introduce a constraint on vocal "types" (meaning: you can do Conscious Rap, Nerdcore, "Dirty South", etc).

I do have two requests however:
Even though "Hip-Hop" music is known for it's use of recorded/re-chopped samples, please still utilize legally acquired content / samples / loops. And should you feel comfortable to add lyrics, please keep them "PG-13" - you don't need to resort to swearing or slurs to create a powerful message.

This will be an interesting challenge - and I'm looking forward to your ideas. :thinking:

Songwriting Rule Summary / Add-On Rules:
► Show Spoiler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:arrow_right: LICENSE SPONSORS (Bonus Prizes):

A huge thank you goes to our very generous License Sponsors for this month's game. Those being (in alphabetical order):

Cherry Audio, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins, IK Multimedia, JRR Sounds, kv331 audio, Luftrum, Musiclab, Rekkerd Sounds, satyatunes - Sound / Graphic Design, and Tone2.

A detailed list of offerings can be found in the following information block.
► Show Spoiler
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Submissions until 24-02-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

AUDIO EXAMPLES:
---------------------

Articles and Info Pages:

A great starting point is the "Addendum"/Supplementary thread for the Songwriting Competition
Songwriting Competition - Addendum: Music Maps and BPM Charts

The overarching genre this month is Hip-Hop Music. On the "musicmap", you can find more under "(Dirty) South Rap, Crunk & Snap". And on the infamous "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music", you can find more explanation and examples under "Hip Hop", then look at the off-branches "Crunk" and "Trap".

Music examples (selection for inspiration, 00 videos):

No music examples available this month. Please see the "musicmap" and "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music". But I can always recommend to enter random genre search words either into Youtube, Spotify or whatever music streaming services you prefer using.

Please also check in with the following threads in the the Gear Talk sub-forum, if you're on the look-out for new tools:
Places to fuel your GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) (the starting point if you're in need of audio tools -- from free to affordable)

Also recommended to check out the following tools, if you're new to/need help with songwriting:
Plugin Boutique - Scaler 2
Xfer Records - Cthulhu
CodeFN42 - Chordz (Transition is also recommended, if you want more experimental/generative MIDI, Free, Windows only)
W.A. Production - InstaChord and InstaScale
Fabrizio Poce / J74 - Progressive ("Max4Life" is needed, Ableton Live bound)

More tools of the trade
► Show Spoiler

UPDATED: 31-JAN-2023 23:30 UTC+1, updated 00-FEB-2023 00:00 UTC+1
Arelem

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Submissions until 24-02-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Arelem »

Crunk is pretty notoriously loud and bass-heavy. I'm going to have to work to keep this one under -14 LUFS. Looking forward to seeing what others come up with. Good luck everyone.
EsteveCorbera

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC066 February 2023 - Submissions until 24-02-2023 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by EsteveCorbera »

F*, how difficult!!
I have no idea about Hip hop, trap or crunk!!
I know more about this:
phpBB [media]
Mellow Browne

Post by Mellow Browne »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:05 CET
F*, how difficult!!
I recommend you to use Midi Packs for the hi hat patterns, and you should consider to download a drum sample pack because the drums are THE main characteristic in both genres, Crunk and Trap, besides of course 808 sub bass, especially in Trap.
A good site to check out for Midi Packs and free drum samples is cymatics.fm, they have some great sample packs with very good content.

Here are 20 midi hi hat loops: Cymatics

In general, Trap has a lot more varieties to musical conception and room for interpretation than Crunk. Crunk is really that "banger" music for clubs, whereas Trap has many genres. Many Trap artists like to use lots of autotune, even on simple rap parts. There are also subgenres like Trap Soul, a very modern form of Contemporary R&B. There is a more New York orientated style with typical NYC Bronx Hip Hop samples but mixed with the drum samples and triplet groove pattern of the Trap style. Trap EDM has a lot of drops and efx in the arrangement and is festival orientated. There is also Afro Trap, which I find to be closer to Crunk music, because it is more danceable than Trap. The "newest" style is Drill, mostly influenced by UK Grime music. I give you some examples and feel free to ask for further information. I hope this helps. Good luck to all.

References for Crunk:
► Show Spoiler
References for Trap:
► Show Spoiler
References for NY Style Trap:
► Show Spoiler
Trap Soul:
► Show Spoiler
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:05 CET
F*, how difficult!!
I know more about this:
phpBB [media]
Lots of hip hop/trap songs have orchestral elements. For example https://youtu.be/fxrkhf17fU0
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Mellow Browne wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 16:17 CET

In general, Trap has a lot more varieties to musical conception and room for interpretation than Crunk. Crunk is really that "banger" music for clubs, whereas Trap has many genres. Many Trap artists like to use lots of autotune, even on simple rap parts. There are also subgenres like Trap Soul, a very modern form of Contemporary R&B. There is a more New York orientated style with typical NYC Bronx Hip Hop samples but mixed with the drum samples and triplet groove pattern of the Trap style. Trap EDM has a lot of drops and efx in the arrangement and is festival orientated. There is also Afro Trap, which I find to be closer to Crunk music, because it is more danceable than Trap. The "newest" style is Drill, mostly influenced by UK Grime music. I give you some examples and feel free to ask for further information. I hope this helps. Good luck to all.
Thanks for the information. I start to study it
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I apologize for not providing in-depth audio demos this time around. Maybe I can update the thread ever so often with tutorials and what have you.

Just right out of the gate, you don't really need MIDI packs or anything. You are probably more than covered with the DAW of your choice. You just need to understand how "beats" of this genre work. For "Trap" and "Crunk", the focus is on (simple) 808 based beats. The changes to both sub genres do lie within how the snare and hats are treated (16th notes, 32th notes, pitching, etc). Oh and... "Auto-Tuning" vocals have been a thing for a couple of years, indeed. Thanks to the so called "T-Pain Effect". But this has faded out quite a while ago.

:information_source: A quick Youtube search brought up these overview/tutorial videos. I even found a bonus Reason tutorial for you, @EsteveCorbera.

Busy Work Beats - How to Make TRAP BEATS (Hi Hat Essentials) (2021, really gives you a to-the-point overview how "modern hi-hats" in this genre work/sound)
Reason Studios - Making Modern Trap Beats in Reason 12 (feat Sef Nitty) (2021, self explanatory)
Ave Mcree on Thenatan Hatz VST Plugin Tips (2021, McCree is also uses the alias "Traptendo")
Ave Mcree - How To Build Disrespectful Trap Beats on the MPC Live 2 (2021)
CJ Beatz - The Best 4 Plugins You Need For Hi Hats! (2021, showcasing Sugarbytes Effectrix and Looperator, and combines Cableguys Halftime with Soundtoys PanMan to create some interesting beats)

:arrow_right: Please keep in mind: nothing is set in stone, you don't need to go 1:1 by certain formulas.
Experiment, make music -- that is the goal of the Songwriting Competition.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Thank you very much for the tutorial videos.
Especially for the Reason tutorial :educate: . Good detail, thanks Mister Fox!!! :tu:

When I have some time, which ultimately doesn't leave me much time to get on the computer, I'll go over everything to see what I can do. :phones:
Thanks!!