2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Since this question also popped up on Discord, I need to address this in the future. For understanding purposes.
_StillBorn wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 15:36 CEST
Is this the picture, I am to get inspiration from? Or is it any postcard(s)?
The Exponent wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 18:51 CEST
I have the same doubt as @_StillBorn. What's the theme? Is it this particular postcard picture or the word "postcards"?
The general idea is to indeed draw inspiration from the picture. However do not solely fixate on that particular photo and it's details alone. Rather focus on the "overarching concept". Hence the theme of this month's game (that being "Postcards"). It could be plain postcards with short conversations, it could be souvenirs, it could be something from a beloved person which carries a lot of memories.

It is the same as with SWC060, which was also a "Picture Theme". Here the photo was of a fountain, but due to the heatwave at that time, and the photo being otherwise vague, you could interpret how you seemed fit.

It is often not easy to find an image to loosen up the blocks of texts, and use it as promotion on Social Media. But I try to formulate this better in future games.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by A Future in Noise »

We are sometimes encouraged to take opportunity of the extended game mechanics. And so I do so, this month. Updated original post: https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 635#p14635

For you who are native English-speakers: Can you use the word 'call' as a synonym for demand? Does someone do so in real life? (It needs to rhyme!)

Musically: The verse and the chorus probably represent different styles or genres (which?), but to me they fit together all the same.
Doc Jon

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Doc Jon »

A Future in Noise wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 16:50 CEST
We are sometimes encouraged to take opportunity of the extended game mechanics. And so I do so, this month. Updated original post: https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 635#p14635

For you who are native English-speakers: Can you use the word 'call' as a synonym for demand? Does someone do so in real life? (It needs to rhyme!)

Musically: The verse and the chorus probably represent different styles or genres (which?), but to me they fit together all the same.
Hi
Yes, in the context in which you are using the word 'call' here it works well as a synonym for a request or a demand so no need to find an alternative rhyme :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC068 April 2023 - Submissions until 24-04-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 1 entry -- with some minor interaction.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 3 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song. Please also remember, vocals are not mandatory -- instrumentals are just as welcome.

And to those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
Doc Jon

Post by Doc Jon »

I can't believe it's been over a year since I was last here :shock:
However I am definitely back in this month :tu: track progressing well and should be up within next couple of days :phones:
Arelem

Post by Arelem »

Hello Everyone,

For this month's challenge, the image made me think of Nickleback's Photograph. With that in mind, I decided to write a rock/metal track. I didn't really stick to any theme beyond that; I just took that initial impression and ran with it. I know I'm well above the LUFS target; if I get time, I will try and fix that. (Edit) I accidentally left some additional effects on the backup vocals, so I took those off. I also added a different flavor of vocal to the bridge to help differentiate it.

Lyrics
► Show Spoiler
Details
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Arelem on Sat Apr 22, 2023 07:35 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
A Future in Noise
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by A Future in Noise »

New WIP. Entire Chorus, and other improvements. https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... 635#p14635
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

WIP

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

Looking at the picture I thought of a record I used to play like a milion times long ago. So many times that it started to crackel and all the music sounded like it was coming through an old speaker. I realised that the sound of an old worn out record has a kind of character I realy like. That was the inspiration for the sound you are hearing in this WIP. I also like contrast in songs and unexpected turns. So i decided to sing a few lines but only halfway in the song to keep in interesting.

I played guitar through an amp sim. The bass is me playing guitar with an bass simulatorsound. The drum I programmed with BFD.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahp8xH6KRIfbgVxCQxa ... 2?e=F48pda

Lyrics:
Now the rain is falling
Another year is passing by
A warm breeze is coming
Break the clouds come summer skies
A night together darling
Dance along the summer vibe
We feel no pain, we stay the same,
When winter soon arives

Cheers,

Jeroen
Last edited by JeroenZuiderwijk on Mon Apr 24, 2023 09:37 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Arelem wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 05:24 CEST
Hello Everyone,

For this month's challenge, the image made me think of Nickleback's Photograph. With that in mind, I decided to write a rock/metal track. I didn't really stick to any theme beyond that; I just took that initial impression and ran with it. I know I'm well above the LUFS target; if I get time, I will try and fix that.

Very cool song. I like the rawness of the track.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

A Future in Noise wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 15:31 CEST

WIP = Work in progress (first two verses and beginning of chorus).

What's Expected From Me

Very interesting arrangement. I like the build up with with the bass guitar. I hear you have talent for writing songstructures.