2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Winners announced

Join the Mix Challenge - recurrence: February, April, June, August, October, December
i.shadrin

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Submissions extended until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by i.shadrin »

I'm new to the forum so didn't check loudness and used mastering plugin on master for my first entry :(

Also created new account coz like username better :)

Just wanna share my mix with you guys, it seems like i messed up the Rules a little bit and not in competition at this point.

The song is amazing and it was pleasure to work on it!

MC093__Rocketgoldstar__Born_Taurus_Man__ishadrin

Hope you enjoy it!
I'm using Cockos Reaper; Harrison, ACMT, U-he, AudioThing, TAL plugins
sthauge
Backer
Backer

Re: MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Submissions extended until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by sthauge »

Here are some short comments on others mixes:

Hi

We are encourage to comment on other mixes. Here's my view on some of the mixes. It's perfectly fine to disagree, it's my impression and taste. I'm only comment on what I think could be improved.

@ZioPaperone358 - Vocal could be a bit more upfront and "opened" up.
@Punchipum - There's a click from the kick in the beginning. My first impression is that it was clipping. It became better later in the song. Piano could be more natural, sound thin. Reduce some high freq on the snare. Dept?
@alan_mix - To much reverb on the lead vocal? Drums need to be more upfront. Dept?
@Michael_K - There's a little click from some hit on the kick in the beginning - clipping? The bass are a bit woolly at low freq and could be cleaned up a bit(especially in HP). Give it more character.
@Piranha - Vocal and piano could be more upfront. The lead electric guitar could be louder when it start playing. Dept?
@Piotr - To much reverb on lead vocal? The lead electric guitar could be louder in general, but especially in the beginning.
@rvalle - The bass are a bit woolly at low freq and could be cleaned up a bit. Give it more character. There is something with the mid freq on the snare in combination with the reverb that make it sound boxy to me.
@scottfitz - Open up the lead vocal. The lead electric guitar could be louder when it start playing. Dept?
@FallenAngel - Vocal and piano could be way more upfront. To much reverb on lead vocal. I'm not sure that the fade in of the piano is a good choice. The bass are a bit woolly and could be cleaned up a bit. Give it more character.

25/8 - 23 Update:
@Ronson79 Drums could be more upfront with more pronounced hits. In the dialog section(radio voice) the backing vocal needs presence so its a part of the dialog.
@RayK25 At the very start there are some low freq that gives me association of 50Hz hum noise. Vocals more upfront.
@ggibson1988 Most instruments and vocals needs more clarity and presence. Lead vocal upfront.
@EchoOread Pan the piano out of the way of the vocal. Vocal more presence and upfront.
@Mork Lead vocal to upfront in the dialog section with 'radio voice'. Put the 'radio voice' in a distance. Automation on the lead guitar, especially in the beginning of the guitar solo.
@Waleed Morris The bass are a bit woolly at low freq and could be cleaned up a bit.
@PauPeu There's much going on in the center. Pan the piano out of the way of the vocal. Long rev/delay can make it woolly and reduce the separation. Use EQ and freq to enhance separation.
@VasDim Needs more foundation. Check the bass for more low end.
@Ozgen Sabuncu The drums are more upfront than the lead vocal. Change placement, vocal upfront, drums behind.

26/8 - 23 Update
@i.shadrin The piano could be fuller. Cymbals stand much out, could be taken down a bit so it sound more as an element of the drum set. I got a feeling of 'cymbals in my face* and rest of the drums a bit more in the background. Lots of nice sound in the mix though.
@monjeco Vocal more upfront and it need some cleanup in the low/low mid. In general the whole mix could be opened up a bit, I miss some clarity.
@1ktone The drums are more upfront than the lead vocal. Change placement, vocal upfront, drums behind. There's a 'noise' track(to the right) that compete with the lead guitar, especially in the start of the guitar solo. Put it more in the background or use EQ to get it more separated from the guitar.

Thats for now. I'll update this post if I got time to listen to more mixes.

Keep up the good work and comment on the mixes.

Steinar
Last edited by sthauge on Sat Aug 26, 2023 15:47 CEST, edited 4 times in total.
Harrison Mixbus 10.0 Pro, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.11, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
i.shadrin

Post by i.shadrin »

@sthauge i was actually really impressed with your mix. Vocals are just blast :tu:

It's so amazing we can learn something from each other with this challenges - love the idea
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MIX CHALLENGE - MC093 August 2023 - Submissions extended until 24-AUG-2023 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Yes, feedback during the game is okay, but let's please reduce it to bare essentials until the game has finished on 24th August.

Then it is more than encouraged to interact, and to give each other pointers what to maybe look out for as feedback for future mixes. However, the final word has our Song Provider @Gaz Williams.
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

@sthauge I really think you need to check your mix, at least from 2:36 to 2:50.
sthauge
Backer
Backer

Post by sthauge »

@i.shadrin Thank you. There are always things to learn for all of us, so participate in these contests it's a nice opportunity to do that. If most also comment on others mixes it will even be even better.

@Mister Fox Sorry if I was to quick to comment, shall never happen again.

@PauPeu If I understand you comment correct it's something that could be improved? According to the time interval in your post I guess you mean the passage where the author said: "The vocals in the middle 8 section (lyrics: "Rifles!fire and ..."") ideally should be treated like a radio voice with the backing vocals being much fuller as a call and response kind of thing". Am I in the right spot?
What do you think is wrong? The lead vocal "radio" voice? That I've put the backing vocal forward in the mix and the lead 'radio' voice pushed into the distance to hopefully elaborate the impression of a distance conversation even more? Have I misunderstood something? I'm happy if you can inform me more precise so I can learn and understand what you mean.

Steinar 😊
Harrison Mixbus 10.0 Pro, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.11, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
IMM

Post by IMM »

Hello!
Mix:[https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sDq5Lj ... sp=sharing]
I enjoy a lot mixing the song
Nice work
Last edited by IMM on Sat Sep 02, 2023 03:39 CEST, edited 3 times in total.
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

@i.shadrin it seems the kick is doubled and offtime, looks like some editing mistake. Cheers!
i.shadrin

Post by i.shadrin »

@PauPeu True! Two kick tracks were slightly out of phase. I can fix that. Thank you
PauPeu
Wild Card x1
Wild Card x1

Post by PauPeu »

But @i.shardin , I was refering to @sthauge ‘s mix, not yours.