2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC04 December 2017 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC04 December 2017 - Submissions until 24-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by FixInTheMix »

Last minute upload, I based my song mostly on Spybreak by Propellerheads and Rock Blockin´ Beats by the Chemical Brothers, it`s kind of raw, I wanted to add more things but I thinks it´s decent enough to be submitted at least.

WAV: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bq4z0urh483y ... k.wav?dl=0
MP3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfteobj8ksy3z ... k.mp3?dl=0

Edit" I just realized I missnamed the files, they are flipped. I'll fix that soon. Merry Christmas and Happy holidays!
Last edited by FixInTheMix on Mon Dec 25, 2017 02:38 CET, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC04 December 2017 - Preparation Period

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th December 2017, 2:06am GMT+1/CET - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

Thank you so much for your participation. We had 3 participants, 1 entry less compared to last month (4 entries). Since we have three entries, the add-on rule (Staff adding "balancing vote") does apply.

:arrow: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours, I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. So please, check your links again. Mistakes and hiccups do happen on the internet. We then perform with the "public vote" system.

We have 3 participants, those being: OctopusOnFire, kc23 and FixInTheMix
That means that each participant can vote for 2 tracks, the staff will vote for everyone

The Top 10 list (or Top 3 per participant rather) can look something like this:
01 (10pts) - Mr Moon
02 (9pts) - Mr Sun

Please also take note of the Rules and Guidelines on giving feedback

Feedback from non-participants is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

If you want to start on next month's Songwriting Competition already, take a look at the Upcoming Challenges announcement thread
http://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122

Please have an eye on this thread! :tu:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC04 December 2017 - Voting until 01-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Monday, 01-JAN-2018 11:59pm GMT+1/CET latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants:

OctopusOnFire wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 CET
Octopus on Fire - [DREAMS IN SPANISH]

WAV: https://mega.nz/#!JXYkDI7R!A4JcLzQn6Z7N ... JIVUbYiTsM

MP3: https://mega.nz/#!5Gh1CbST!aBX_mfhm_rBa ... D83HOir6h8
kc23 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 23:28 CET
"Gibberish"

link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0skiuenper31z ... h.wav?dl=0

Please consult this post of how your vote could look like.

Good luck to all participants! :tu:
OctopusOnFire

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC04 December 2017 - Voting until 01-12-2017 11:59pm GMT+1/CET

Post by OctopusOnFire »

Here we go with the voting!

01 (10 points) FixInTheMix - NoiseBreak

Catchy bassline and melodies. I missed a little "introduction" for most of the elements, not just "here's the drums, now heres the bass, now here's the synth...". I really liked the breakdown, especially the stutter at the beginning and the resolution.

02 (9 points) kc23 - Gibberish

I reckon there's more work on this song than the other, and there are more things I like.... but I can't put it in first place because I feel it doesn't fit the given theme. Not the feel, not the tone. It feels very clean and chill, sounds "too natural", lacks samples, processed stuff... I'm not an expert on the genre by any means, but from what I heard in the playlists given, my song would fit into the "calm" end of the spectrum, and it's much more aggressive. That aside, I really like the spaciousness, the way things come up from the sides in a ghostly manner. It is a very well arranged, nicely polished song.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

As with SWC03, I also added some technical details at the end of each report, after analyzing the WAV files (in fact, I only listened to the WAVs). You don't need to do that. I just want to give you a small overview of where to look out for in the future maybe.

To not run into the controversy as with SWC03, I tried to respond sooner. In fact, I could have done this shortly after the link collection already, but I was super tired.

:arrow: Fix in the Mix - Noise Break

From all three productions of this month's game, this is the most aggressive one. You have modulating noises (which I'd love to know how you created those), you feature aggressive drums, you introduce distorted instruments, a pumping e-bass. The production in itself does fit the theme of the month (in fact, this is the best fit), we even hear some stuttering effects/recuts of the main drum loop and bass as transition effect. Plus, there is a completely unexpected acoustic guitar thrown in as well.

However, and this is where I have a small issue with: as hinted at by you (songwriter) with the fact that this is another last-minute-entry, the production feels a bit unfinished, even cuts off abruptly. This is a real shame IMO. The guitar squeals for example (if they're guitars) feel a bit out of place, there could be way more lowend (with synthetic drums or a sine bass), the distorted synth on top off he bass line could see even "more" distortion, maybe a completely different chorus effect. But it's a great start so far - so please do expand upon it, maybe resubmit it to this thread at a later state.

TECHNICAL BONUS INFO:
- production was in 48kHz 24bit
- Loudness was -13,7LUFS ILk, -11,7LUFS SLk max
- track was -0,27dBTP max
- mixdown had a DC Offset of about -51,9dB (I assume this is because of the saturation effects, maybe an error with the "guitars")

:arrow: kc23 - Gibberish

This production is the most laid-back from all entries. I'd actually fit it more into the "alternative rock/electronica" section. I do like the instrumentation - driven bass, crunchy guitars, synth pads/effects, the occasional voice sample, a rolling beat. But during the first two minutes, I was always like "so when does this production kick into overdrive?!". The middle section felt more like "progressive rock" (which sounds good on it's own, but doesn't necessarily fit), which then ultimately transitions into what one could call "alternative" (with a 4-to-the-floor kick and syncopated drum rolls). But it's still so washed out and mellow, that it never really "jumps out", which is sadly only emphasized with the last 2 minutes of the production (which push you into some sort of trance).

I kind of expected a different kind of aggressiveness I think. Production wise, there could be more separation between the drums, synths and guitars (stuff does drown out a bit). But other than that, I don't know what to give you as hint to fit this production more into "Big Beat" - maybe less reverb on the drums, while pushing them more upfront might be a good start.

Interesting production however, definitely worth a listen - it's just not fitting for this month's theme.

TECHNICAL BONUS INFO:
- production was in 44kHz 24bit
- Loudness was -16,9LUFS ILk, -14,9LUFS SLk max
- track was -4,20dBTP max
- mixdown had a DC Offset of about -80,5dB

:arrow: OctopusOnFire - Dreams in Spanish

I really did not expect to download 123MB - with 7:28min, this is the longest production this month (and to me, also the most finished one!). Maybe even a bit too long.

This track offers an interesting blend of various musical styles, trying to flow into each other. I did like the oldschool drumloops (if that is really Addictive Drums with Sampled loops, great work!) which are backed by the bass, the thrown in vocal stabs, the synths. This works really well in the overall production, and is a nice blend from Chillout into Trip Hop/Big Beat, back to Chillout (breakdown with the Spanish guitars). Only to sadly fall a bit out of place (due to different sounding drums) at the 7:10min mark. Which brings me to my comment, that this track might maybe be a tad too long maybe and the ending feels a bit out of place as well (though I like the glitched time-stop effect)

While I did like the creative sample usage, I did miss some aggressiveness in the bass range. Like a sub-bass kick/drop ever so often that supports the bass (which could also run a second bass line with the same bass on top). Maybe some noises flying by your ears. Overall, it would fit perfect into the 90ies (more chilled) Big Beat genre. Something I'd definitely enjoy on a long train ride while watching the sun rise/go down. So it's still within the "theme" of this month, just not as aggressive as I expected.

What you could try to look out for however, is a better blend between jumping of the drum sets. Maybe let the synths cut through just a tad more (different EQ). Sound effects could also be a bit more subtle (risers) - but that's just a personal thing.

TECHNICAL BONUS INFO:
- production was in 44kHz 24bit
- Loudness was -14,7LUFS ILk, -12,3LUFS SLk max
- track was -0,34dBTP max
- mixdown had a DC Offset of about -124,0dB

:!: SUMMARY:

All productions this months are interesting in their own right. I did kind of expect more rolling/aggressive beats and less mellow sounding productions that might have fallen off because "too slow for Jungle/Drum and Bass". But it was a great start. You stepped out of your comfort zones, which is an interesting task in itself. And you made it really, really hard in terms of voting for me as one production fit the genre so well, but wasn't finished (which to me, ultimately looses points). The other was more laid-back, but could have seen a tad aggressiveness. And the last one was an interesting production overall, but sadly fell out of this month's theme/genre.

I'm also a bit dishearten, that we only saw three entries this month.

:arrow: My votes (<4 participant rule applies)

10pts - OctopusOnFire
9pts - FixInTheMix
8pts - kc23

See you in Songwriting Competition 05
kc23

Post by kc23 »

Hi

My evaluation:

Dreams in Spanish:

Production Feedback (5.5 points):

I think the chord sequence is good, it gives some variation and color underneath the main melody. Definitely a more straight forward rhythm-wise interpretation of the genre.

Although, at least at a couple of spots I think there should be a variation on the main melody. For example, it seems the voice sample would maybe correspond to the first part of a verse, and maybe a couple of times the second part of the verse could have been used... maybe even a little ad lib part... just to make it more "alive"...?

About the "spanish" part... although its really well put together, I think it´s sort of an "isle" in the middle of the track... It does give variation and a nice break... I just think something more related to the R&B/TripHoppy thing that is predominant (I think) in the whole composition could fit better.

And the ending I think is too abrupt! Maybe just the drop without the synth could work... as if someone had just tripped over the turntable electricity wire...!

Other than that, I think it´s a really good job!

For that, in this section I score this track with a 4 out of 5.5

Technical Objectivity (3 points):

The mix is really clean, and balanced. I would have liked to feel some more lows... maybe as a nod to the R&B aura of the track... so it would be more "solid" with that base.

In this section I´ll score this track with a 2.5 out of 3.

Neutral to Subjective commentary (1.5 points):

I think you made a good analysis of the genre. And you sure put some (a lot!) of work looking for samples and putting them toghether and making them fit. I do think the feel of the production could have been a little... "riskier"... maybe the sounds (maybe variation in the voice sample could have been about sonics? like the variaton in sonics of your drum samples...)... maybe the structure (I get how some ideas are developing... maybe they could have developed in less repetitions?)...

So, in this section I´ll score the track with 1 point.

Noise Break:

Production feedback (5.5 points):

I think this track structure works great. How it presents the "theme" and then variations, and transformation, and deformation! hehe. However I think the riff in D takes away from it. The movement from A to D sounds very "familiar"... even common... it is soo expected!! and it lasts too much... maybe two bars would have been enough to make the riff "move"... or maybe another chord or progression for those eight bars (I would try an F for the last one or two)... And this is repeated at the end...

I also think that most of the sounds are about-to-be spot on... those "howling" guitars on the back of the riff... the synths sweeps and noises... even in contrast with the clean funky guitar... just a little bit more "refinement" with them... (although roughness also sounds good!)

Simple arrangement, could have been a little more elaborated, but only juuuust a bit (I think the transitions between sections could have used... something...).

So, I´ll score this section with a 4 out of 5.5

Technical Objectivity (3 points)

Everything sounds distinct and clear... but I think this track needed to be BIG! specially the drums... feels like riding on a motorcycle but we should have been riding on a really big chopper!! It´s about frequency balance (I think it could have used more lows... huge kick... rounder and bigger bass) not soundstage... more refinement on some sounds... and maybe some reverb or delays on the synth noises... just to make them a little more trippy... also, the "noise break" needs to be more trippy!

So, I´ll score this section with a 2 out of 3

Neutral to Subjective commentary (1.5 points):

Definetly fills this genre´s tag.This is a short but very to-the-point track. It states well its intention and goes about it straight-on. Riffs and sounds work well, maybe a little more experimentation on the chord sequence... And I think the lack of "bigness" really affects the impact it could have.

As opposed to the other track, I think this one could maybe expand a little on the structure... or experiment with it... somethings could use a little more time to develop... some things could use less.

So, I´ll score this section with a 1 out of 1.5

Needless to say I liked both tracks. Very different, but each one accomplished on its own.

By my score card:

Dreams in Spanish: 4 + 2.5 + 1 = 7.5

NoiseBreak: 4 + 2 + 1 = 7

Final list:

10 - Dreams in Spanish
9 - NoiseBreak

Happy holidays everyone.

Bye!
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Dreams In Spanish - OctopusOnFire

Production Feedback:
for me the only mayor drawback on this track is the intro and outro, the first thing that bothers me during the intro is the use of the vocal samples, I think that taking the vocals out could improve the effectiveness of the intro since the human voice is so recognizable and draws so much attention from the listener, it makes it feel abrupt IMO. Also the main problem during this section (at least to me) comes from the drum beat being at half the tempo of the rest of the song, specially considering how the clock sample was foreshadowing a faster and funkier groove, it fools the expectations of the listener for no good reason, that resource could be more effective during the break instead. Considering how the outro is pretty much the intro again the same criticism applies, I think that around the 6:50 min mark when the high hats are gone and the beat calms down it´s the right time to start a fade out or process the track progressively until it dissapears (maybe heavy bitcrushing like the end of "Short Circuit" by Daft Punk).
I would scrap the repetition of the intro alltogether. Besides that everything works great for me, great arrangement!

Technical Objectivity:
nothing to add here, sounds amazing.

Neutral to Subjective commentary:
I really liked the Spanish folk break, it´s pretty similar to the break on "Smack my bitch up" by Prodigy only swapping the indian music for the flamenco style (correct me if I´m wrong and it´s actually another genre), also did you based this section on that song I mentioned or it´s just coincidence?. Also, is the title of the song a reference to the "cries in spanish" meme?

Gibberish - kc23

Production Feedback:
The main issue I get with this song is the structure, to me it feels like the whole song is a very long build up for a musical climax that never comes, I understand that around 2:45 that is your intention but even before then the different sections don´t differentiate themselves much, I think you approached the structure of the song in a similar way to progressive house and electronic music, starting with a simple idea and stacking things on top of each other to form demsity, so to sum it up the main criticism is the lack of contrast on the track.
The other important aspect that I think is lacking is the correct use of rhythm for the drum beat, to me the drum beat never gets to be big beat style, it stays on a more traditional style eventually adding some elements that I think are similar to EDM/progressive electronica (snare fills!), In my opinion the heart of big beat comes from the drum beat and those drum beat are a variation of funk breaks, some of that is present but not enough (the high hats are the most lacking here). Also you could benefit from turning up the tempo a little bit.
The song may be a litle too much "organic" as in the guitar performance, maybe sampling your guitar and processing it to get a more digital and "glitchy" sound could work.

Technical Objectivity:
Although this track isn´t as polished as the other it still sounds good to me, at least nothing negative stands out.

I think this track could´ve used more agressiveness on the drums, different samples more similar to oldschool funk grooves, just personal taste here though. (no impact on my vote)

Final results:

1- Dreams In Spanish - OctopusOnFire (10 points)

2- Giberish - kc23 (9 points)
OctopusOnFire

Post by OctopusOnFire »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 04:45 CET
Dreams In Spanish - OctopusOnFire

I really liked the Spanish folk break, it´s pretty similar to the break on "Smack my bitch up" by Prodigy only swapping the indian music for the flamenco style (correct me if I´m wrong and it´s actually another genre), also did you based this section on that song I mentioned or it´s just coincidence?. Also, is the title of the song a reference to the "cries in spanish" meme?

You got it all right to the t :D
Agree with the outro... the song drags for too long and it seems out of place. Finishing it some bars before seems a much better arrangement.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC04 December 2017 - Results, Winners announced

Post by Mister Fox »

Well, that was quick!
Ladies and Gentlemen, here are the results of Songwriting Competition 04

:arrow: The winners podium consists of:
  1. OctopusOnFire
  2. FixIntheMix
  3. kc23
Everyone voted, no ties, <4 participant rule taking place
We have no disqualifications

Here are the results as chart in image form:

Thank you so much for your participation. :clap:

:arrow: License selection:

We'll now perform with the usual. The top three spots can select from the available price pool. First place has the first pick, then second place from what is left, then the third place. Selecting licenses is handled in public, please. After that, please get in touch with me (via PM) with your contact data. In case of the "Bjulin Waves" sponsorship - the winners podium can additionally select one "Inspire Me" package on top of the license selection (please mention that in the PM).

As usual - you're not forced to pick up anything. You can pass and therefore offer more to select for the next person in line. Just let all participants/winners/the staff know in a timely manner.

Feedback about the "Songwriting Competition" is welcome (please do so here).

See you in in the next Challenge!
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

In regards to the feedback on my song it's true most of the problems come from being rushed, in fact I stopped recording and rendered the tracks 30 minutes before the deadline, I used some crash samples for the first sections and then forgot lol.
I agree with what you said about the A to D change kc23, I just used it because it's a very common resource in big beat for some reason, it's there in "Rock Blockin' Beats", and "Spybreak" wich were my reference tracks.
To answer Mr Fox about where the modulating noise comes from it's just Valhalla freq echo with feedback set to 100% I made a "performance" modulating the parameters and used the best parts.