2024-MAY-01 Info: Check out our current running Songwriting Competition 081 - which offers an interesting twist and a focus on sound design.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 14 days left to submit your production.

So far, we have 3 entries with some interaction / feedback.

If you want to access the extended game mechanics of the Songwriting Competition (asking for feedback during production), please try to release your first edits within the next 7 days to have enough time to get possible feedback (if needed/wanted) and continue to work on your song.

To those sitting on the fence - please don't feel scared off and think "the bar is set too high, I will never make it" - set yourself a shorter private deadline. Just make music, submit your entry, join the conversation. See where this goes.

By joining, you're already a winner. The rest is bonus. :tu:
msgsaltsweet

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by msgsaltsweet »

Last edited by msgsaltsweet on Mon Feb 12, 2024 08:50 CET, edited 2 times in total.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Post by JeroenZuiderwijk »

I'll be posting my track soon. I just need to make shure the loudness specs are ok.

Jeroen
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

Final version- SWC077 January 2024 - Submissions until 24-JAN-2024 23:59 UTC+1/CET

Here is my final version:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4w6a3t7t ... vf4gm&dl=0

The idea behind this song is a build up where a new part is added every couple of beats. And in the end they combine together and after that the song is broken down to where it started.

I used only the provided samples. To mangle the sounds into somethng I liked I downloaded ‘Vital’. That is a really cool instrument. Thanks Mr Fox for giving that tip.

The ‘chords’ I created using ‘Vital’ with the input of the sin_55Hz_-6dBFS_0.3s sample and the water filtering machine. I used the envelope filter to give it a slower attack. There is a reverb, chorus ad filter with the cutoff frequency automated.

The chords are augmented with a bell- like note generated also in Vital with the samples: VCA-089_01_Bottle_Blowing and Singing_Wok. With a delay, chorus and low pass filter.

During the song there is a continues stereo rythmic hi-hat like sound made with a slice of the ‘shuffle’ sample from 1KTone. There is a reverb on it with a ringmodulator where I manualy automated the pitch. That gives a weird but cool sound. I kept this in the background.

I made good use of the watertank sample for the deep long ‘kick’ bass sound with nature sounds in the background….lots of compression on this one.
With the distorded version of the watertank and ‘bring on the frogs’ I created a tensionriser in the intro that goes on in the first verse and comes back every now and then.

The hihat I created from a slice of the sample EXP_F_Swoosh.

And shuffle was used for an extra hi hat rythmic effect.

The bass line I made with Vital and used the samples LI-bass 1 – E and Wurli-Cs as an input.

The snare is obviously just the sample 04-drum-hits from VCA-089

At the end of the song there is a little melody. Again that is Vital with only 231229_0080 Soma Ether Drones as the input sample…..and lots of chorus, eq and reverb.

....about the songtitle....well I was reading Romeo and Juliet.... :-)
Last edited by JeroenZuiderwijk on Thu Jan 25, 2024 21:43 CET, edited 7 times in total.
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Hello,
I present to you my work in progress.
It's an experimentation with rhythms that come and go, that come in and go out and that move here and there.

I've been working on it for days but I think it's missing something, or I have to remove other things from it.

Can you help me polish my theme by giving me your choice?

thank you

Version (1): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b_6DUR ... sp=sharing
Version (2): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UuHKEr ... sp=sharing

Final version: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=713&p=16383#p16383
Last edited by EsteveCorbera on Mon Jan 22, 2024 23:24 CET, edited 2 times in total.
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 00:07 CET
Hello,
I present to you my work in progress.
It's an experimentation with rhythms that come and go, that come in and go out and that move here and there.

I've been working on it for days but I think it's missing something, or I have to remove other things from it.

Can you help me polish my theme by giving me your choice?

thank you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b_6DUR ... sp=sharing
Hi Esteve Corbera, GoogleDrive is asking me for an accountinlog. I therefor can't listen to your track. Can you check if you have shared the file correctly?

Cheers,
Jeroen
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

Jeroen,

Access to the mp3 track is now fixed

Thanks

Esteve
JeroenZuiderwijk
Wild Card x2
Wild Card x2

EsteveCorbera wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 18:26 CET
Jeroen,

Access to the mp3 track is now fixed

Thanks

Esteve
Cool, I like the idea. But I feel the song is holding back. Like you haven't made the choice what should be the lead part...what should drive the song and should therefore be in the spotlight. Now it feels like there are lots of cool elements but everything is standing in the shadow waiting to shine. The chords could give some more energy to the track if you turn up the volume, the kick sounds to small to make much impact imo. Give the chords some big reverb for a more epic sound, drive the kicksound with more compression and some 100Hz boost, maybe write an extra part to glue the song together...write a more coherend element in the (although structured) chaos, could be a bassline.You could leave parts out but I have a feeling that is not the solution ......these are just ideas mabye not to literally follow but to hopefully give you some inspiration and direction.

Jeroen
EsteveCorbera

Post by EsteveCorbera »

JeroenZuiderwijk wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 23:30 CET

Cool, I like the idea. But I feel the song is holding back. Like you haven't made the choice what should be the lead part...what should drive the song and should therefore be in the spotlight. Now it feels like there are lots of cool elements but everything is standing in the shadow waiting to shine. The chords could give some more energy to the track if you turn up the volume, the kick sounds to small to make much impact imo. Give the chords some big reverb for a more epic sound, drive the kicksound with more compression and some 100Hz boost, maybe write an extra part to glue the song together...write a more coherend element in the (although structured) chaos, could be a bassline.You could leave parts out but I have a feeling that is not the solution ......these are just ideas mabye not to literally follow but to hopefully give you some inspiration and direction.

Jeroen
Thanks!!

I will follow your ideas a bit.
Thanks for the comments
VCA-089

Post by VCA-089 »

phpBB [media]

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pE0c0c ... sp=sharing
FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaJCe_ ... sp=sharing
MP3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LXQspI ... sp=sharing

"It often happens when you are peacefully meditating, being in a perfect Medium. The idea strikes you like lightning and there comes an Excitement, promising a breathtaking journey of a new experience. And now you are Driven to madness, falling down into the depths of hell only to push off the bottom and rise to the Supernatural heights of the universe...
The consequences of your travels are rather unpredictable though, and can lead to serious troubles..."

The idea was to create a composition that builds into a different sections with different moods and aesthetics. I like to experiment with different genres and styles, and this is a perfect place to do such crazy stuff.

Technical Details:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by VCA-089 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 14:46 CET, edited 3 times in total.