2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC05 January 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
kc23

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC05 January 2018 - Winners announced

Post by kc23 »

HI there

Didn´t make it this month... but just wanted to offer some quick comments anyway...

In the order of results:

MOA22, your structure is flawless... the build up of the verses and the chorus... really tasteful and sooo musical. Don´t know why, but your 6/8 sounded really "french" to me! should we blame CharlesAznavour for that? hehe The melody certainly sounds to me like classic-meets-contemporary for shure... specially in that "C" part with the harmonies and responses.

Nige, great song, great production. I think I hear a little "sprinkle" of MarsVolta there, juuuust a little... it definetly gives a wink at my prog side! hehe I really like your sounds, specially your guitar solo, thick and buttery...

Donkey tugger, your song sounds to me like something PeterGabriel would have done a couple of years ago. Beautiful melody. Really nice managing of dynamics. Your production at times sounds "simple" but I reckon there´s a lot going on not only in layering, verbs, and atmospheres, but in how you creatively and tastefuly manage them to get that sound.

Erictracks, would have liked to hear your voice on this one, but that does not take away in any way to your song. Love the arpeggios... that polyrythmic feel makes me wanna tap my foot in really odd counterpoints! hehe And the synths... It´s like... your guitars take me back some 25 years ago... and your synths take me back like 60! and the overall sound brings me back to contemporary... and more.

Tbase, definitely raw. Would have loved that cello up front and center and a more space to everything. As if the violent screaming bloody sacrifice was going on in the Opera City Hall or something. But that´s just me. Good raw. Bloody yummy steak raw.

This contest keeps raising its bar. All submissions are awesome.

It´s gonna be difficult to submit something on par this next month, but for sure will try!

So, congratulations to you all.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Thank you for the bonus feedback, kc23. This is what I'd love to see in the future. :tu:

Also - don't be encouraged if you think that the "quality bar has been set super high" - just create whatever you want to create, then submit it. This game is all about having a creative output.

Furthermore, thanks for picking up a license, MOA22 (Luftrum "Lunaris").
Next up is Nige...
Tbase2000

Post by Tbase2000 »

Excellent KC23. Thanks again for taking the time out to post some encouraging feedback. See you next month hopefully with more theatrics. :)
Nige

Post by Nige »

Congrats to Moa22 and Donkey, and thanks to all participants for taking the time to drop some really helpful feedback, and to Mr Fox for organizing this whole show. Nice catch kc23 in regards to TMV reference, 'Deloused in the Comatorium', would definitely be in my top 10 all-time albums, and it has a tendency to rub off in my songwriting.

I think I'll try out the Hornet Graffio this time round please Mr Fox, cheers.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Thank you kc23, happy to read that feedback. Proud to be "le french" there, hope I did not put to much Aznavour's
vibe in it, not a fan of him.
MOA22

Post by MOA22 »

Was nice to receive a private email from the editor of the prize I chose : Luftrum, asking for listen of my song...
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I hope he liked your creation, MOA22.

One license is still up for selection. Your turn, donkey tugger
(already selected/unavailable companies: Luftrum and Hornet Plugins)
donkey tugger

Post by donkey tugger »

Ah. I'll take the synthmaster 1 & 2 bundle then if that's ok - the effects part looks cool.. PM with details on the way.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

Everything has been handled now.

See you folks on the flipside.