2024-SEP-01 Info: Every September, the Mix Challenge audio community brings awareness to the topic mental health. Please have a look at Songwriting Competition 085.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: A friendly reminder:
We're in the final 24 hours to submit your production.

Please get your production ready and submitted (through the forum) today.

To make it easier for me to create the collection post, please update your initial post with the appropriate links (final version), or explicitly mark your entry as "final entry". Please also don't forget to make your files accessible. Thank you.

If I didn't miscount, we have 09 amazing entries so far. :headphones:
I'm curious if we can exceed 12 entries this month
FixInTheMix

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by FixInTheMix »

Hello everyone

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12OIh7g ... drive_link

*Im posting my entry without documentation yet or else I wont make it in time, I´ll edit that in today.

Thank you and good luck to all!

*Edit*

I renamed the track to be in the correct format, sorry about that, also updated my post with documentation.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by FixInTheMix on Sat Jul 27, 2024 01:03 CEST, edited 1 time in total.
juhu

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Submissions until 24-JUL-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by juhu »

Quoting the final Rev3 edit of my original post for visibility:
juhu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 01:57 CEST
Hi,

1) Enjoy my city-building tune called "Sidewalk Mogul" (Rev3, final version): :phones:
http://tinkerstate.com/mix-challenge/SW ... _Mogul.wav

2) Documentation below (click on "SHOW" to expand):
► Show Spoiler
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - preparation phase

Post by Mister Fox »

It is the 25th July 2024, 01:10 UTC+2/CEST - this month's Songwriting Competition has official ended

STATISTICS:
  • If I didn't miscount, we have 10 submissions this month (1 entry less than last month, and also 0 entry more/less than July 2023)
  • We have 0 submission after the deadline (as of 25-JUL-2024 01:10 UTC+2/CEST)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been disqualified (production released outside of the game's timeframe)
  • We have 0 submissions that has been withdrawn (therefore it can't count to the overall participation)
  • The "staff balancing vote" add-on rule does not apply (special game mechanics do apply)
  • "Sole Winners Podium" rule (equal or less than eight participants results in a single winner) does not apply (3-position Winners Podium)

:arrow_right: How do we go from there?

Over the course of the next (hopefully) 24-48 hours (usually up to 6-12 hours maximum after the game has ended), I'll gather all links into one post and hot-link to that from the first post of the thread. Please, no more changes to your entries, but please do check your links that these entries are accessible and downloadable. We then perform with the final feedback and "public vote" system.

We have 10 official participants. We are adapting the overhauled vote mechanic, as talked about in the following news blog:

Songwriting Competition - game mechanic changes: Voting Process (October 2022 Update)
(Info: I am aware that the Rule Book has not been properly updated yet. Time constraints, apologies for the inconvenience)

Summarized:
 ! Bonus Info
  • Participants can (and must) vote for their Top 5 entries (tiered mechanic).
  • You're furthermore asked to please reflect on your experience this month (2-3 paragraphs max), what you have learned, what you would like to do different in the future, etc. (personal growth)
  • You are also asked to give feedback to at least five (number: 5) entries (tiered mechanic) -- things that stood out to you, providing some final thoughts and constructive feedback for possible improvements. This adds to the learning experience of our community. It is recommended that these entries are outside of your personal "top entry" voting.
  • Have the chance to get additional bonus points if you decide to invest the time to provide more constructive feedback than the requested minimum. It must be more than just "nice production, please keep up the good work" however. This is to boost more interaction and can balance out your overall points on the score sheet. (get 1 point if you give constructive feedback to 1-2 more participant, get 2 points if you give helpful feedback for everyone)
  • The "Voting Process" mechanic is mandatory for all participants, and the only criteria to drop out of the game by not partaking. Please don't just collect feedback, and not give back to the community.
  • The overall "Bonus Point" mechanic still applies. Please update your posts with proper production documentation, most notably regarding whom you have collaborated with (as in: proper credits -- not doing so will result in a 2pt deduction on the score sheet at the end of the game). Please also make your entries downloadable, or provide an additional download link if not existing already. You got until the voting period has ended.
Please cast your vote (not the feedback) in collective form through the "spoiler text" bbcode (button on the WYSIWYG editor that features the orange triangle with an exclamation mark in it). Please use the forum username of the participant to make it easier during the score collection to address what vote belongs to whom.

⚠ Moderation Message from Mister Fox  
For transparency:

The staff (Mister Fox) will give some additional final feedback to each entry. The votes for all top entries will have a 2x modifier.

Feedback from non-participants and/or collaborators is highly encouraged (voting not needed!). The same goes for entries after the deadline, or those that sadly do not count for the current running game (even if you've exceeded the deadline, why not post your entry regardless?). Musicians and Engineers are always after constructive criticism. This is what this forum is about.

Have some general feedback? Please provide that here:
Songwriting Competition - General Gossip Thread, or on Discord.

Please make sure your files are accessible, and please have an eye on this thread! :tu:

EDIT: 25-JUL-2024 1:10 - initial post
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Voting until 01-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

Let us kick off the VOTING PROCESS, which will end on Thursday, 01-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST latest

There is a GLOBAL COUNTDOWN to check for deadlines.
Just follow this link: Global Countdown (on homepage)

Here is the collection of productions from all participants (in hope that I didn't forget anyone). As usual, if you click on the small upwards-arrow right beside the quoted name, you can jump to the original post and read up on the documentation for this production.

juhu wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 01:57 CEST
"Sidewalk Mogul"

WAV: Direct Server Download

INFO: last version from 24-JUL-2024
Mellow Browne wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 22:10 CEST
"We Run This Town"

WAV: GoogleDrive playback and download

INFO: last version from 15-JUL-2024 (initial entry)
KukoBass wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2024 18:56 CEST
"Stadtentwickler"

Doc Jon wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 00:47 CEST
"City 17"

INFO: last version from 22-JUL-2024
Crosshatched wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 01:27 CEST
"City Background"

INFO: last version from 20-JUL-2024 (initial entry)
TrojakEW wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2024 15:18 CEST
"Megacity Vibration"

INFO: last version from 20-JUL-2024 (initial entry)
Chasey24 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2024 21:02 CEST
"A Better Tomorrow"

WAV: Dropbox playback and download

Elcubano wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:45 CEST
"Stranger City"

INFO: last version from 23-JUL-2024
EsteveCorbera wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2024 00:51 CEST
"Jazz A La Ciutat"

INFO: last version from 23-JUL-2024
FixInTheMix wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2024 23:30 CEST
"Bright New Day"

INFO:

WITHDRAWN (not participating - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no withdrawn entries>

BONUS ENTRIES (submitted after the deadline - feel free to give feedback, but you sadly can not vote for these entries)

<no bonus entries>

:arrow_right: GAME MECHANIC SUMMARY:
► Show Spoiler

Good luck to all participants! :tu:

If you have an idea for a future Songwriting Competition, please post about this in the theme/genre request page or on Discord.

Post updated: 25-JUL-2024 2:00 UTC+2/CEST -- initial post
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Voting until 01-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

:arrow_right: Just a quick heads up:

While this isn't a disqualification criteria (unlike our main mixing game), please still try to adhere to the given filename template, else you will loose out on valuable bonus points. You can edit the filename of your files without changing the download link (Google Drive, Dropbox, even SoundCloud) - so things shouldn't break. But just in case, please let me know of the update.

Please, just filename adjustments - no re-uploads (in fairness to everyone).
I already have all of your more recent versions saved on my hard drive in case something goes wrong.

Affected users are:
@Chasey24 (only uses 1 underscore instead of 2, check with post #002, please)
@Crosshatched (file can't be downloaded anymore)
@Elcubano (v2 uses whitespaces for the song title, see "Stranger City_v2" instead of "Stranger_City_v2")
@FixInTheMix (uses whitespaces for the song title, see "Bright New Day" instead of "Bright_New_Day")

If you didn't do that yet, please also update your posts with technical documentation. You don't need to list every single plugin, just the instruments you've used (if you did some crazy sound design thing, maybe talk about that as well! We're all here to learn).

Thank you for participating. :headphones:
juhu

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Voting until 01-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by juhu »

Hi,

1) Here are my votes, ordered highest points first (click on “SHOW” to expand):
► Show Spoiler
2) Also my feedback below (click on “SHOW” to expand):
► Show Spoiler
Crosshatched

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC083 July 2024 - Voting until 01-AUG-2024 23:59 UTC+2/CEST

Post by Crosshatched »

I have restored the ability to download the track.
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Hello, here´s my votes for the top 5 entries.
► Show Spoiler
And my feedback for each entry.
► Show Spoiler
TrojakEW

Post by TrojakEW »

This round I was trying to use triplets combined with 4/4 rhythm as driving main rhythm. This cause some troubles not just for me, because I normally use triplets here and there to spice the pattern but I have no experience using it as base for rhythm. In combination with some other issues like of non quantized notes, because the pattern was just recorded from live play it bring even more audible issues. I had no time to check it once more and fix those issues. So I will need definitely try to do some more tracks using triplets.
---------------------------------------
juhu - Sidewalk Mogul
Nice laidback mood in the track. Now as a track for game game in regards of the idea it fits but, it is more like basic concept. Breaking that track and thinking about it as a parts that should loops is not bad approach but there is not enough variation in those segments. The loop feel of the idea just stand out too much. I would like to see some more different breaks so it break those repeating pattern fell. For example put there part without drums with bass and and just flute playing the theme but with same more variation to create more tension with more like improvisations feel. Make this break part longer that will represent more that just just one cycle compared to the basic one loop with drums and you can switch back to this main part. Do some more variation also in main theme to break the loop feel even if your approach is to use loops as building part of the track. You left the markers in the track so it shows you really wanted to make parts of the track that can be assembled in any way. The loop feel is also based on drum pattern. Looks like there is just one pattern with some small fills and breaks here and there but those breaks does not break that repetitiveness. Mix is not bad. Instruments have it won place on stage. I would add bit more boost in 30-80Hz while reducing in range 90-300Hz and also bit boot around 2k and 10k to improve stage even more. Overall good approach and nice idea.

MellowBrowne - We Run This Town
This is interesting one for sure. Creating repetitive pattern that do not have repetitive feel is not easy. This synth bass is nice example of something playing over and over and yet not give that loop feel. Actually the more I listen to it, it feels more interesting and this is strange because it is same loop pattern with some movement in the sound with filter. This minimalistic approach to the tracks is, well interesting and I do like it. You dig down interesting arp in intro part that acts more like texture and not arp. It is not very audible yet add something to the mood. Maybe bring it up just little bit makes it more audible can be even better. Hard to tell. Track have only three parts while that very short intro is more like build up part of the first part it is enough. Good choice of sounds. What I would do with them is add more live feel to all of them. Using velocity for short sounds like percussion and volume/filter modulation for longs will bring even more variation without doing any variation to the pattern. Yes it makes mixing harder because it will constantly changes the volume of the instruments but it have huge impact. I think I like this one.

KukoBass - Stadtentwickler
Looks like it was not just me to have idea to use arpeggio as representative block for building visualization. The part with guitar with arp starting at 0:17 up to 1:00 really have the feel of the building progress for game preview mode. I think you hit the nail with this part. Now what breaks that interesting idea for me is lack of dynamics in most of the synth sounds. This create very huge contrast between acoustic instruments and those synth sounds. It sounds almost like different track are just merged and they not support each other. Even with synth sound you should play with dynamic to give it more organic feel while combining it with acoustic instruments. I usually just use simple filter to velocity for synth sound to add more live feel to them so the parts played with low velocity lacks some high frequencies while notes with high velocity leaves low pass filter fully open. Or you can add saturation based on velocity to make those gentle changes to the sound during play to simulate acoustic behavior of the sound so it fits better while mixing it with acoustic sounds. Now those sound including lead and bass stick out too much and have general midi like feel. Also the same for the acoustic instruments. It kind of feels you are not using velocity to create build up and you are using the same velocity value all the way. Example will be that stick hit starting at 0:08 going through up to 1:00. The same amplitude for this sound whole time. It only ducks down a bit starting at around 0:24 because of more busy mix and more instruments introduced. Track have nice idea and it is interesting but sounds itself need more work. Just try add more live play feel to the patterns.

DocJon - City17
There is a lot of stuff happening here. I do enjoy tracks that where the composer do not worry about making high contrast in different parts of the track and makes pattern sounds almost like they are part of different track. This create interesting change and make listener engaged whole time because he await what comes next. So yes I like the composition and those breaks. Those are great. Track fit the theme well and it fit the presentation more even more. Now what I do not like is mix. Sounds have this overcompressed feel. Stage and balance between sounds is almost good but sound itself are trying to stay in same same audible range whole time. Also it sound like almost all the sound sources have flanged effect on it? It give the mix strange blurred feel. Also there is need to adjust balance in same instruments and some parts. For example 0:53 where this synthetic noisy hihat steal the show and it is too dominant. The same for the end part starting at 3:00. Again this hihat is too aggressive. But I like the track and your approach. Very nice sounds everywhere and a lot of changes everywhere. Good job.

Crosshatched - City Background
Now where to start with this track. Do not take my rant about track as insult. It is more critique how I feel about it and what make the track weak. Song structure is missing. What I mean is that there is nothing that define basic concept behind this one. There is small intro that still feels the same as the rest of the track. There was attempt to make different part and split the mood but it just everything feel same. Theme is missing. The melody with piano feels kind of random. Almost like it is generated by some algorithm. Is it? Piano is just going and going without any break or change or without adding mood. I just waited for some dramatic change or pause but nothing happen. I hear change in time signature at 0:17 but it is feels still like driving car at the same speed on straight road where you do not need even touching the steering wheel. The same feel about the change at 2:44, it simply does not do anything. Addiotnal issue that amplify that feels is also in how instrument is used. Every note is on same midi velocity. So the structure of the track is missing and it is the biggest issue here, there is no need to talk about the rest like mix or fitting the theme. I think you should start working on piano solo first and make it sound interesting in regards on mood and melody and then try to incorporate other sounds because now it is more like you are trying to fix the structure issue by adding more sounds and this does not work. I think I know what you wanted but it is still too far for being completed.

Chasey24 - A Better Tomorrow
Track started in strange combination. Ostinato strings accompanied with very synthetic and dry sounding pluck. There is high contrast between those two instruments that tells me they do not like each other. Almost like you are playing one track in your room and there is another one going through the wall from your neighbor. Right after that small intro track go straight to pop music feel. I do not saying it is bad or anything it just there is nothing here that make me feel like it is music for city city builder game. Almost like every radio song for pop chart. There is one part that may fit that start at 2:38. This one may really work except that gated long strings or what it is. This getting is bad here. At the 3:10 we are back at pop chart track. Mix is not that bad and instrument have it's own place at the stage. In some part it missing bit of air like that fitting part at 2:38 and there is also missing some power in lows. I would boost a little freq around 60Hz to give the kick more body and warmth. So while as o radio track it may work but it does not fit game music at all. If you build this track around that part I mention, it will be more fitting.

Elcubano - Stranger City
Even without listening by look ing at wave in editor, this fat sausage tells me you push compressor too hard and for sure you will have lots of clipping here. Intro sound nice and calming. There are some stereo colleration issue sin that pluck but nothing serious. Now while that beat fits the mood of the track and intro well, it does not fit the this month theme track. I think getting rid of that kick that gives the track that kind of normal synth track feel can really help. Adding some gentle percussion to match the hihat without being to dominant like this kick would improve the ability to find this track in to the game. Simple said this kick make this track not fitting the game at all. Arpeggio in third part is interesting. It sound like it is in different time signature or it is triplet? Sounds like my issue with my track and triplets. After that again even more dominant beat using this too dominant kick. It throws out the idea to use the track in game. Track is simple and nice sounding. Mix is not that bad but as I already write at beginning it sound you are trying to get track as loud as possible and you push limiter/compressor too hard. I would also boost some frequencies around 6 - 13K and for sure tame low frequencies for the kick itself. Without kick there will be no need to fix this and the track will be more fitting.

EsteveCorbera - Jazz A La Ciutat
Very strange and interesting idea you have here. But it looks like the you have hard time to match tempo of those loops like trumpet. Also they are too much upfront and would take too much attention if this track will be in game. While I like the idea and trying to use more jazzy feel that can definitely works in game the track and structure in weak. I mean as structure for a game music. There is need to go for different approach and not like it is normal music. As I said it have potential to be game music but it more you have only one part of the track for one particular situation in game. It is missing more aggressive ad maybe even more laidback part in order to be used. I mean you need to present more variation in track to represent different scenarios in game. You approach was like typical music for listening. I think this was the biggest challenge for this round. In regards of mix it sound good. I would still add some bit more air to the mix and some boost to make double bass bit more dominant, but it is only my personal taste. I like the idea and as music for listening it is nice track.

FixInTheMix - Bright New Day
Yup it is definitely most of us wanted to use arpeggio in our tracks because it is very suitable for this theme. I do really like this tension building you have in the beginning. Arpeggio later accompanied with guitar and later added strings there and even later added low piano chords. It is simple very cool and it fit very well not just in game but also in some movie for sure. Really like this idea but also execution. I really really like this first part. Did I already said that I liked this part :). Second half do not add much more to the track but it is not bad either. What I missed here is another part to represent some disaster in the game. I would really like to hear how you would use the same theme for that, more aggressive part of track. I would definitely stick more the the idea of the first half of the track and go straight to the opposite mood in second half in the same way. I think this would be awesome track. Still it is my favorite track this round because this first half is really something, hat down. Also mix sound good. Also as I mention for others I would also here add bit more air to it. As we getting older we have more problems to hear higher frequencies.

And now voting.
---------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler