2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC07 March 2018 - Winners announced

Thematic Songwriting Competition - recurrence: monthly
donkey tugger

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC07 March 2018 - Voting until 01-04-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by donkey tugger »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 20:32 CEST

technical:
everything sounds clear in the mix although I would´ve gone with a less bright acoustic guitar for the strumed parts, letting a little bit more of mids through, I like the reverse reverb and sounds used, also the glitch fx, I think the use of the filter and/or distortion for the vocals is clever but I would´ve used a more extreme setting, in here it sounds like it´s only been recorded with a bad microphone.

Good suggestions both I think. It's a new-ish acoustic and I'm still finding my way with it a bit in terms of recording etc. Listening back you're spot on about the verse (especially) vocal as well - I used the Code Red eq for a bit of grit, but it can be pushed much further!
Nige

Re: SONGWRITING COMPETITION - SWC07 March 2018 - Voting until 01-04-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Nige »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 20:32 CEST

technical:
the distortion/overdrive on the vocals just ruins it for me it just sounds bad and it´s a damn shame because everything else sound great, like digital clipping, maybe this is a rendering issue, a limiter running too hot maybe? It doesn´t sound pleasing at all, I have no problem with using distortion on vocals but as I said this sounds like a mistake and not an actual aesthetic decision. Besides that I would´ve lowered the shakers a bit.
After analizing the loudness of the track it´s around -4.7LUFS integrated, the waveform is just extremely crushed so I think it comes from the limiter you used.

No one told me this was a mixing competition, interesting.
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Nige wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 22:23 CEST
No need to be rude, it´s not a mixing competition but you can´t expect me to not take in consideration the fact that the vocals sound like they are clipping, also according to the rules Technical Objectivity is one of the three points to focus on during feedback
Technical Objectivity (30%): how great was the production as a whole? Is there something that you see problematic in the mix (mix techniques, mastering, etc)? What would you do different (give examples)? If you're skilled in technical analysis, maybe back that up with values (Frequency Range, Loudness Values, Maximum Peak, etc)
Even if this issue didn´t exist I ´d have still kept the final score the same (although a hard choice) I think kc23 song was a little bit more creative.

I hope you are not mad at me for giving my honest opinion.
Nige

Post by Nige »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 23:28 CEST
Nige wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 22:23 CEST
No need to be rude, it´s not a mixing competition but you can´t expect me to not take in consideration the fact that the vocals sound like they are clipping, also according to the rules Technical Objectivity is one of the three points to focus on during feedback
Technical Objectivity (30%): how great was the production as a whole? Is there something that you see problematic in the mix (mix techniques, mastering, etc)? What would you do different (give examples)? If you're skilled in technical analysis, maybe back that up with values (Frequency Range, Loudness Values, Maximum Peak, etc)
Even if this issue didn´t exist I ´d have still kept the final score the same (although a hard choice) I think kc23 song was a little bit more creative.

I hope you are not mad at me for giving my honest opinion.
I'm a big boy and I welcome criticism, as well as honest opinions.
Having said that, here's a crazy little tip you might want to bear in mind when commenting in a "songwriting competition",is to maybe...I dunno... comment on err "the songwriting"? i.e arrangement, melody, lyrics, harmony's, performance, overall vibe.
Your subjective opinions regarding what you didn't like about the mix are frankly worthless when they constitute 90% of your post. The only constructive piece of feedback I took away from your criticism was in regards to the off-key vocals which were run through an autotune in Nectar and ultimately made them worse in many places.
You think I was rude? I was just giving an honest opinion. I hope you're not mad.
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Nige wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 23:46 CEST
Having said that, here's a crazy little tip you might want to bear in mind when commenting in a "songwriting competition",is to maybe...I dunno... comment on err "the songwriting"? i.e arrangement, melody, lyrics, harmony's, performance, overall vibe.
Your subjective opinions regarding what you didn't like about the mix are frankly worthless when they constitute 90% of your post. The only constructive piece of feedback I took away from your criticism was in regards to the off-key vocals which were run through an autotune in Nectar and ultimately made them worse in many places.
You could have said this in the first place in an educated manner instead of going with sarcasm. I´ll admit I was lacking more songwriting details in your song simply because I didn´t found out anything else that I considered worth mentioning.
I didn´t have anything else to say besides: "I like the melody, I like the harmony, etc" which seems pointless to me.

If the only constructive feedback you got from me was the off key vocals then you didn´t even bother reading what I said, the way a song sounds besides the fundamental elements of music is important too.
Nige

Post by Nige »

FixInTheMix wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 00:15 CEST
Nige wrote:
You could have said this in the first place in an educated manner instead of going with sarcasm. I´ll admit I was lacking more songwriting details in your song simply because I didn´t found out anything else that I considered worth mentioning.
I didn´t have anything else to say besides: "I like the melody, I like the harmony, etc" which seems pointless to me.

If the only constructive feedback you got from me was the off key vocals then you didn´t even bother reading what I said, the way a song sounds besides the fundamental elements of music is important too.
Your lazy, subjective mix appraisal, deserved all the sarcasm I could muster. Try writing an educated songwriting critique and you might have the favour returned.
FixInTheMix

Post by FixInTheMix »

Nige wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 00:23 CEST
FixInTheMix wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 00:15 CEST
Nige wrote:

Your lazy, subjective mix appraisal, deserved all the sarcasm I could muster. Try writing an educated songwriting critique and you might have the favour returned.
1- The fact that your mix sounds like clipping and is overcompressed is not a subjective opinion though, you can easily measure it.

2- Please educate me, master of songwriting critique knowledge :hail:
Nige

Post by Nige »

1- The fact that your mix sounds like clipping and is overcompressed is not a subjective opinion though, you can easily measure it.
Well obviously that's the treatment that was intended, hence the reason you're hearing it that way. So any opinion you *may* or *may not* have in regards to what you think *is* or *isn't* wrong is absolutely, 100% subjective. What do I care what a guy who unironically writes lounge music thinks about my production. Of course you're entitled to an opinion, and it's great that you shared it, but it means very little to me.
2- Please educate me, master of songwriting critique knowledge :hail:

You've got it all wrong. You don't have to be a "master of songwriting critique" to offer basic opinions on various aspects of a composition, as opposed to spending 90% of a post, talking about what you didn't like about someone's mix. It's all pretty much common sense really, as any songwriter worth his salt would surely understand.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

I don't want a repeat of proliferation like with SWC01... Yes, the rules talk about "technical feedback", but the rules also state "it is advised to aim for a reasonable loudness". However - I encourage both of you to take a step back, relax, and then try again with a calm and collective approach.

:arrow: I'll only say the following once:
You do not want me to step in!
Beeble

Post by Beeble »

holy crap! I thought the composing, arranging, lyrics and choice of Instruments/harmonics and sounds would be the main part of a song competition!?
I thougt at least a 2 channel tape recorder should be enough to present a song composing.

Now @FixInTheMix shows up that a loud mix and some clippings counts more than the song itself. :headscratch:
Maybe if this is the way to evaluate a composition this should be renamend in "production contest"

Of course the mixing part should be worth a word, but with less prority than @FixInTheMix did.
In case of two or more songs I like most, I would have a closer look on the mixing aspect.
The Rule says: Production Feedback (55%); Technical Objectivity (30%) and Neutral to Subjective commentary (15%)

I feel a bit "mustained" about your argumentation @FixInTheMix.