2024-MAR-01 Info: Check out Songwriting Competition 079 if you're into "Synthwave" music making.

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC002 May 2018 - no winners

recurrence: on occasion (if audio material is available)
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC002 May 2018 - no winners

Post by Mister Fox »

Hello and welcome to the Remix Challenge 002 - May 2018

This is the introduction post, where we directly link to the challenge corresponding files (theme, submission information, sponsors) and start of the voting process. There will be no Round 2

This month you'll get to remix a 8-bit Chiptune/Punk production by producer Hadokowa.

Please take note of the following
  • IMPORTANT: please use the following naming convention for your productions: RMXC000_-_ArtistName_-_TrackName.wav/mp3

Also please take note of the following
  • We're desperately looking for new source material for future competitions (Mix Challenge, Mastering Challenge, Remix Challenge). Please follow our official campaign. No new tracks mean no more challenges! Please reach out!
  • Social Media accounts can be found via the handles @MixChallenge (Twitter) and MixChallenge (Facebook). Please spread the word!
  • if you like what the Mix Challenge (community) has been doing in recent months, please consider supporting us

This post will be updated with the corresponding links as we progress, and of course the suitable thread headlines. So please watch this spot:

Submission Period: General Information and Sponsors
Results of the Remix Challenge 002: Results of the Remix Challenge
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC002 May 2018 - Submissions until 18-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

CURRENT CHALLENGE - GENERAL INFORMATION

Time Frame: Tuesday, 01st May 2018 to Monday, 18th June 2018 (48 days)

Challenge submission will end on 18-06-2018, 11:59pm CET/GMT+1 (Germany) - until further notice.

Want to find out if you're still within the deadline, please consult the following options:
The Global Countdown on it's dedicated page or the countdown on the home page. You can also consult the World Clock at the top of the forum or alternatively the following tool - in this case please select "Berlin (Germany)" as location 1, and your location as location 2: Time and Date - World Clock Meeting Planner. We do post reminders via our Twitter account and Facebook page.

Song Provider: Hadokowa
Song Name and Length: Oh Tainan (@#$% you I'm leaving), 4:47min
Song Information: 177 BPM / Signature: 4/4, Key of C
File Formats: WAV, 44kHz, 24bit / MIDI

Preview of the Song:
PREVIEW NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE

A word from the song provider:
Hadokowa wrote:Hi I'm Hadokowa and I play 8 bit robo-punk.
https://hadokowa.bandcamp.com/releases

Thank you for remixing this song. This song is an attempt at making a very cliche pop song within a very short time frame. I will officially publish it along with your contributions as a sort of aid compilation for the city of Tainan.

You can guess I enjoy punk and chiptune the most but you can go remix with whatever genre you have in mind. If you need a direction, you can check the Japanese band "Polysics" on YouTube that I really like.

One limit:

Don't use my clean vocals in the song, they are provided only for the case you want to use your own vocoding. For information, I used the vocovee vocoder and a picture of the VST settings is included. **

One rule:

If you change lyrics please still make it a bit related to Tainan city. You can of course go instrumental.

About the song:

So one day I saw my local government having a competition for a song celebrating my city.

This city is a great place ruined by the greed of corrupt politicians, the air pollution is among the worst in the world and rich people just claim the whole public space with their cars, not leaving even space on sidewalks. My song tells how sick I am now and why I have to leave the city.

I joined for the challenge as it implied having to write, record and mix within a 2 week deadline.

Of course I couldn't do my usual robo-punk songs if I wanted to stand a chance so instead I decided to go pop all the way.

To brainwash the jury I used some lame/evil production techniques such as:

- the 4 chord sequence that is used in every hit (C G A F)
- too many choruses with a simple melody
- cheesy back vocals
- song ending with a fade out
- hand clapping
- and not one, but two shifts of the chorus on a higher pitch! (this one should really be forbidden )

I also submitted different lyrics for the competition hopping to fool the jury into thinking I was praising the mayor's work for the lovely city he made. Alas they understood the real lyrics and I was not selected :)

Please also consult the TXT files that are bundled in the source files package below.
** Vocoder used was g200kg Vocovee Vocoder (Windows, 32bit only)

Special Add-On Rules:
  • Create a remix based upon the provided files - genre doesn't matter
  • At bar minimum, you must use at least one provided sample / loop / instrument from the source production, and if present, the vocals
  • You can use whatever is at your disposal (samples, virtual instruments and/or real instruments)
  • creating your own sounds is highly encouraged, but not mandatory
  • It is recommended to not go higher than -14LUFS SLk (avg) or K-12v1 (avg) in terms of perceived loudness

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Files:

Main Mix Package - Mirror on the Mix Challenge Homepage (441,55 MB, LZMA compressed, zip)

The provided files were packed as ZIP with LZMA compression.
File size extracted: 1365,21 MB, packed 441,55 MB (ZIP, LZMA)
In order to extract the files, we can recommend these programs:

Macintosh:
The Unarchiver - get it here
Keka (open source) - get it here

Windows:
7zip - Installation / Portable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take note of the official rules - they can be found at the following thread:
Remix Challenge - Official Rules and Guidelines

Please address any OT question in the official Gossip thread:
Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

SPONSORS (Prizes):

Prizes for Songwriting Challenge participants:

Note: All licenses are NFR (Not-For-Resale), except where noted.
Changes to available prices on short notice may be possible and will be announced separately.

Rekkerd Sounds is kind enough give away 1 sound set of winners choice (exception: Krezie EDM and Neurofunk Vol. 1)
License will turn into NFR
More info on Rekkerd Sounds: http://sounds.rekkerd.org/

Bjulin Waves is kind enough to donate 1 sound set of winners choice and one "Inspire Me" sound set of choice for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
More info on Bjulin Waves: http://bjulin.de/

Ghostwave Audio (Vincent Bastiat) is kind enough to donate any 2 sound sets to the winner
More info on Ghostwave Audio: http://ghostwaveaudio.com

Hornet Plugins is kind enough give away one license from the depicted tools (see image) to the winner
More info on Hornet Plugins: http://www.hornetplugins.com

kv331 audio is kind enough give away a bundle of either SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle, or a freely selectable set of 3 SynthMaster Expansions (donations until Spring 2018)
License will not turn into NFR, you need to have a kv311 audio user account in order to pick up Expansions
More info on kv331 audio: https://www.kv331audio.com

Luftrum is kind enough give away either a license of Lunaris, or any 2 sound sets of winner's choice (exception: Bundles and Nano Electronics)
More info on Luftrum: http://www.luftrum.com

Sound / Graphic Designer, and honorary Mix Challenge staff satYatunes is donating one commercial product of winner's choice (until further notice)
More info on satYatune's page: http://www.satyatunes.com/

THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS!
And also a thank you to all former contributors as well.

If you want to sponsor content (please have a focus on instruments, samples and sound sets), please get in touch with the Mix Challenge staff.

Please spread the word of the challenge on social media.
For example with our dedicated Twitter Account or Facebook Page

Good luck to all participants.
And most importantly, have fun!
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC002 May 2018 - Submissions until 24-05-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
<withdrawn>
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: REMIX CHALLENGE - RMXC002 May 2018 - Submissions until 18-06-2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST

Post by Mister Fox »

[moderate=Mister Fox]ATTENTION EVERYONE - big change in the deadline[/moderate]

I'm hereby announcing a change in the submission deadline for the current Remix Challenge (and also every future RMXC). In agreement with the song provider/client, we extended the deadline from 24 days (which would have ended on 24th May 2018) to 48 days.

You now have until Monday, 18th June 2018 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST to create a production and submit it (incl. today, 29 days left)

Please do spread the word on social media - the more participants, the better.
Deprecated_Mind

Post by Deprecated_Mind »

Mister Fox wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 03:36 CEST
Please do spread the word on social media - the more participants, the better.
Maybe you could add it here https://www.kreasound.com/remix-contest/latest ?
The contest would get a lot of exposure there :wink:
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

If you know of more places like this, please drop me a PM and I try to get that sorted out.
Thank you
Dodgingrain

Post by Dodgingrain »

Appreciate the deadline extension. :phew:
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com
https://www.instagram.com/twocataudiolabs/
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

A friendly reminder:
Including today, 7 days left to submit your remix.

Can we exceed 5 entries this round? :phones:
Jorgeelalto
Song Provider
Song Provider

Post by Jorgeelalto »

How much time do we have left? In a MC post you said less than 48 hours but I just started with my remix and I would like to know the time more exactly if it's possible :D By the way Hadowoka, very interesting material. There are certainly some gems in there that I will make good use of, I'm giving it a full spin but I hope it turns out nice.
Mister Fox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mister Fox »

It's not that much time left anymore, I'm afraid.

We're in the last 30 hours for submissions. And no entry so far... :scared: